Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,968,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What's funny is the girls, who strive to look great whenever, will go out on those frigid days in mini skirts and small coats while I'm freezing my ass off in big coats. When I was there, I saw the temp dip as low as the minus 20s which meant no one even dared step outside. Everything was a painful dash from inside one building to the other. Waiting in the metro (even though partially heated) was still miserable.
Oh yes, I know what you're talking about when you mention the girls. I think they're brave and even sexier for doing that.

The wind is what bothers me the most. I guess I can sort of deal with everything else but its when it gets windy that it freezes up my face, begins running my nose, and starts getting me sick. I also hate the rainy days in winter, that water is freezing. Overcast skies and cold frigid temperatures are just no good either.
Quote:
I remember one night when they got an ice storm, and all the power lines were taken out. Moscow can also be hilly so walking (let alone driving) was sort of an exercise in figure skating
Remind me to never live there or visit in the winter.
Quote:
In the summer, they get 1 week or so of 90s. I remember that fires are common too as it can be very dry. Overall the place has too much diversity in climates, it doesn't need to get that cold
I love what the weather does to people, especially the women. I spent a few weeks of summer in Miami and its great seeing women strip down to their bikinis, I have also seen this in Dallas, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. Great excuse to take more clothes off.

Hate climates where it becomes the opposite, putting more cloths on. One climate makes things sexier and the other makes things duller LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I think the OP could be better off experiencing Paris. Its always my #1 suggestion for a winter city, always.
Paris is definitely a great city to experience. But it's a pretty irrelevant suggestion in a thread about metropolitan areas that are similar to the Bay.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Paris is definitely a great city to experience. But it's a pretty irrelevant suggestion in a thread about metropolitan areas that are similar to the Bay.
He's not going to find a place similar to the bay though, so why not just take his love for winter and experience the best winter city that he can?

It will give him a chance to explore a new culture, continent, lifestyle, and everything. See what I mean?

He may find the people, driving, geography, culture of Paris to his liking so why not suggest a different animal out there?
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6104/6...747538ff_z.jpg

Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I've heard San Francisco being described as the Paris of America. While I'm not sure I agree with that, I think someone from the bay would love living in Paris. Paris has a lot of things that make it a truly fantastic city (great food, great PT, international, history, atmosphere).

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I've heard San Francisco being described as the Paris of America. While I'm not sure I agree with that, I think someone from the bay would love living in Paris. Paris has a lot of things that make it a truly fantastic city (great food, great PT, international, history, atmosphere).
San Francisco and Paris are very different cities but the romance and charm is common, the people in both cities have a similar outlook on life, and although San Francisco's geography is much more stunning France has great geography close by connected by a working high speed rail system. Most people I know from the bay adore Paris, which is why I recommended it almost immediately.

Paris is an adventure and if you can tolerate the climate and COL, there's no reason to not go for it.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,597 times
Quote:

Hate climates where it becomes the opposite, putting more cloths on. One climate makes things sexier and the other makes things duller LOL
And the quality of the girls go down dramatically (except in Moscow ). They lose their desire to keep themselves trimmed cause they're always covered up. Why Miami, San Diego, Los Angeles have the most beautiful women (warm + beach cities = beach bodies).

When I first arrived in Chicago, my biggest shock was how everyone was outta shape. Women, men. Everyone looked like all the exercise they got is from moving from one cubicle to their homes and stopping by dunkin doughnuts on the way.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
Quote:
He's not going to find a place similar to the bay though, so why not just take his love for winter and experience the best winter city that he can?

It will give him a chance to explore a new culture, continent, lifestyle, and everything. See what I mean?

He may find the people, driving, geography, culture of Paris to his liking so why not suggest a different animal out there?
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6104/6...747538ff_z.jpg
Well, considering the OP wants a winter where it snows regularly and wants an area that shares similarities with the Bay, I stand by opinion that Paris is an inane suggestion within the context of this thread.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
And the quality of the girls go down dramatically (except in Moscow ). They lose their desire to keep themselves trimmed cause they're always covered up. Why Miami, San Diego, Los Angeles have the most beautiful women (warm + beach cities = beach bodies).
Aw trust me I know. My pants know the truth too. Warm weather states just have this sexy demeanor to them and sexy women are everywhere in them, places like Miami, LA, Austin, Dallas, San Diego, and Atlanta. Sexy women all over.

Boston has a lot of sexy women and so does DC but their weather just sort of sucks for getting more out of it year round. A winter of sunshine and pool > Christmas tree and eggnog for me LOL
Quote:
A
When I first arrived in Chicago, my biggest shock was how everyone was outta shape. Women, men. Everyone looked like all the exercise they got is from moving from one cubicle to their homes and stopping by dunkin doughnuts on the way.
Very ordinary women in Chicago. I know it maybe generalizing but when you walk around and see a hoard of lookalike plain faces and a few hot ones, that's not a good sign IMO.

Plenty of things to like about Chicago but this is not one of them.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 PM

27,213 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Hello all,

I grew up in the San Francisco area and lived there almost all of my life. I left a few years ago looking for something different and have moved around a bunch since then and have visited several places in search of whatever it was that I was looking for.

I finally have come to realize that the San Francisco area is unique and is largely what I want. I absolutely love the people, the geography, the entertainment, the driving style, the pace... However, I am stubborn. I refuse to move back because I hated the weather. I need to have snow somewhat regularly. I also do not want to deal with the political situation in that state. It has always bothered me and has only gotten worse in recent years.

Can those who are well travelled in the US advise me on which areas are most similar to the Bay Area in terms of lifestyle, the fast pace (at least for the west) and geography, but with a real winter?

Thanks!
There's no other city like San Francisco. The culture there is unique to northern California. So, I'd say the closest cities to San Francisco that you'll find are other northern California cities, even though they're smaller. The residential architecture of San Francisco is unique as well. Also, having mountains in close proximity to the ocean shore can only be found on the west coast in the U.S.

Having said that, the U.S. city most like San Francisco with a proper 4-season climate is Boston. I would suggest checking it out. But you will not get the hilly terrain in the city of Boston like you do in San Francisco.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
Hello all,

I grew up in the San Francisco area and lived there almost all of my life. I left a few years ago looking for something different and have moved around a bunch since then and have visited several places in search of whatever it was that I was looking for.

I finally have come to realize that the San Francisco area is unique and is largely what I want. I absolutely love the people, the geography, the entertainment, the driving style, the pace... However, I am stubborn. I refuse to move back because I hated the weather. I need to have snow somewhat regularly. I also do not want to deal with the political situation in that state. It has always bothered me and has only gotten worse in recent years.

Can those who are well travelled in the US advise me on which areas are most similar to the Bay Area in terms of lifestyle, the fast pace (at least for the west) and geography, but with a real winter?

Thanks!
Seattle might be a decent compromise--it doesn't get the real winters in terms of the Northeast or Midwest, but it does get regular snowfall during the winter and has significantly greater seasonal variation. It keeps some of what you're asking for in terms of its general West Coast attributes with the geography and driving style and Seattle is a decently sized city so it'll still have a pretty decent pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City