Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: more international
Chi 113 76.87%
Hou 34 23.13%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,653 times

Advertisements

p.s. Chicagoist.....

again, I wanted to know what criteria do you feel negates Houston from being anywhere near as diverse or international, as cities like Miami, DC, and SF?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
p.s. Chicagoist.....

again, I wanted to know what criteria do you feel negates Houston from being anywhere near as diverse or international, as cities like Miami, DC, and SF?
The DMV and Bay Area are for sure more international than Houston in every way.

Houston doesn't beat either of them in diversity, airport destinations, name recognition, tourism, business, capital, or anything major.

Miami is in some ways but loses out to Houston in many ways in regards to internationality. I guess that's the way its supposed to be for two cities in the same tier. Which they are and so are Boston, Dallas, and Atlanta.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
The DMV and Bay Area are for sure more international than Houston in every way.

Miami is in some ways but loses out to Houston in many ways. I guess that's the way its supposed to be for two cities in the same tier. Which they are and so are Boston, Dallas, and Atlanta.
I'm not necessarily doubting or agreeing...lol, but I do want to know in what manner? Moreso, What makes Houston "less" international?

EDIT: nevermind, Valencian, I saw your answer.

Quote:
Houston doesn't beat either of them in diversity, airport destinations, name recognition, tourism, business, capital, or anything major.
I disagree with the business aspect. I think Houston is a business destination, simply because of the oil and gas industry alone. As far as tourism and a destination city for tourism, I agree . I disagree regarding diversity. Not sure about capital, or what you consider "anything major". I reckon as far as relocation, Houston may be up there, not sure.

Last edited by Queen Palm; 09-05-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Thank you.... but....I'll boost Chicago too! Loove the city. Love it! Enjoyed 'The Taste of Chicago' when I visited awhile ago. Loved Navy Pier. Enjoyed Michigan Ave. All real talk, Chicagoist. I'll boost cities I really like. Chicago is definitely one of those cities.

But......You know I'm telling the truth, about you posted. You tried to imply that there were a lot of people who thought Houston was boring, in that link. It simply was one main person repeating his/her sentiments, with at the most, 2 others, who agreed. The rest of the thread involved comments about cities overseas.... Again, perception.
You didn't think perception plays a role on how international a city can be. Why is Barcelona so internationally known? It's not a business capital. Nor does have that much diversity. It's because of its perception of what type of city it is and thats the point. The perception of how people view a city is very important and one of the important traits in how international a city can be. The thread was shown because it shows that internationally Houston isn't thought of much. If you would like I can post up a thread about what people think of Houston on the world forums and it won't differ from what people wrote in that thread claiming it was boring. Never said it was boring, but I have heard several times mentioned on this board, through people I know personally and in other media. I don't think Houston is boring, what I do think it lacks is character and identity.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
I could really get used to being a Nationals fan.
Walgreens called, they want their logo back, the Nats are a violation of TM policies LOL

Washington Nats http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Cap_Insig.svg

Walgreens http://news.walgreens.com/images/200.../Wag_W_Red.jpg

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
p.s. Chicagoist.....

Because cities like SF, DC, and Miami offer as much as Houston and then some. In regards to tourism, travel (like airports) historical communities of immigrants and that they have strong international ties through business. The point is that those cities have what Houston has and more. Miami has a stronghold on Latin America media, sometimes called the Latin America Hollywood. Then people fom Europe and Latin America flock to Miami like crazy for holiday. Can Houston say it has that? SF is a strong tech and international business center. Not only hat it is also one of the most vistedcities in the country by international tourists. Does Houston have that? DC....do I really need to g there? Seeing as it is the capital it's naturally going to have traits of an international city.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
You didn't think perception plays a role on how international a city can be. Why is Barcelona so internationally known? It's not a business capital. Nor does have that much diversity. It's because of its perception of what type of city it is and thats the point. The perception of how people view a city is very important and one of the important traits in how international a city can be. The thread was shown because it shows that internationally Houston isn't thought of much.
Many times, perception can be flawed, because it can make one believe that it is a universal sentiment (esp when it's based on personal views/opinions), when in reality, it's only a few in a very, very minute realm.

I really don't know how people around the world view Houston. I haven't polled them. But I know that the thread that you linked isn't an all out accurate description. In addition, I realize on here, that there are those that look to bash the city, and there is no certainty that the person in that link is truly from an overseas city/metro. What I do know for certain is that Houston has many residents from around the world. That is neither a perception nor an opinion......

Quote:
If you would like I can post up a thread about what people think of Houston on the world forums and it won't differ from what people wrote in that thread claiming it was boring. Never said it was boring, but I have heard several times mentioned on this board, through people I know personally and in other media. I don't think Houston is boring, what I do think it lacks is character and identity.

which is based on your own personal opinion. And even if you did post up 100 people who felt as you do, it still wouldn't be a universal view, because not everyone feels that way. That is the point that I'm making.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Many times, perception can be flawed, because it can make one believe that it is a universal sentiment (esp when it's based on personal views/opinions), when in reality, it's only a few in a very, very minute realm.

I really don't know how people around the world view Houston. I haven't polled them. But I know that the thread that you linked isn't an all out accurate description. In addition, I realize on here, that there are those that look to bash the city, and there is no certainty that the person in that link is truly from an overseas city/metro. What I do know for certain is that Houston has many residents from around the world. That is neither a perception nor an opinion......

which is based on your own personal opinion. And even if you did post up 100 people who felt as you do, it still wouldn't be a universal view, because not everyone feels that way. That is the point that I'm making.
Who is saying that Houston doesn't have people that are from all over the world?

I think it's pretty universally known that NYC, LA, SF and Chicago are more international than Houston. You can do the research all you want, but it's pretty certain.

Queen Palm which is more international New York City or Chicago? Or how about LA and Atlanta, which of those two is more international? I am sure it didn't take you even three seconds to come up with the answer that everyone else would come up with too. And how did you come to those conclusions to what I just asked you? No perhaps it's not universal to 100% of the population that Chicago is more international, but I would bet my life on it that it's pretty darn close to being universal.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
I'm not necessarily doubting or agreeing...lol, but I do want to know in what manner? Moreso, What makes Houston "less" international?
Compared to where?

The B.A. is the worlds tech capital, its home to the prestigious and notoriously challenging Stanford University which is a league ahead of Rice, as well as Berkeley which is the worlds top public university. These places draw international cachet like no other. The B.A. also has the size advantage over Houston, its 1.4 million persons larger and its economy is $140 Billion larger. Houston is the worlds energy capital but that cancels out with the B.A. being the worlds tech capital. In addition to those things, imagine a place as integrated as Houston and then imagine the only statistical place in America that's more integrated than Houston and the Metroplex and that's the B.A. There's also the fact that its just as diverse if not much more so than Houston for three groups and loses out to only one. It has more airline destinations and the airport is a bigger international gateway than anything in Houston. On business, Houston has the third greatest concentration of the worlds most powerful and richest companies in the US and now imagine one of the only two places in America that can surpass Houston in even that and that's the B.A. Like I said, one weakness is the connection to Africa but other than that, the B.A. has a majority sweep across the scale compared to Houston.

The DMV is the capital region of the US. Its got an economy over half a trillion just like the B.A. Its tourism is higher than Houston. It's economy globally more connected to the world by media much more than Houston could imagine. The power and influence of this region is rivaled by only the B.A., Southland, Chicagoland, and Tri-State Area. It's also one of the only places that has no weakness in diversity compared to Houston. It has a larger Asian population, comparable Caucasian population, larger African population and if you took Mexicans out then a comparable Hispanic population. If you put Mexicans in then Houston's got the edge but even then without Mexicans Houston's Hispanic population only trails the B.A., South Florida, Southland, and Tri-State Area.

South Florida is frankly and statistically on the same tier as Houston. It wins in only tourism and name recognition. It has the no brainer edge on Hispanic diversity just as Houston does on African diversity, it has the slight edge on European diversity while Houston does on Asian diversity. Where it loses to Houston is corporate power, Houston companies employ more people overseas by far because unlike Miami, the Houston area actually has companies of its own and some of the worlds most biggest and wealthiest companies at that. Houston is a far larger business center than Miami and it has a much more globally linked economy than Miami, all via being the the energy capital that it is. Much more similar to the way the B.A. is the worlds tech headquarters. Houston compared to the B.A. lacks a Stanford or Berkeley but compared to Miami has a Rice which is a more prestigious and harder school to both get into and have the credentials of applying to. One of America's top 20 colleges and University of Miami isn't. Miami is very much a peer of Boston, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. It's airport isn't as linked to all corners of the world as Boston, Houston, or Dallas. Miami's economy is really just very laughable, theres not a thing about it worth respecting when it comes to economy. Not by import or export revenue, not by its international connections, not by anything really, even the financial "banks" in Miami are third rate. The place doesn't even rank as one of the worlds top 60 financial headquarters.

Houston MSA Composition Breakdown (Ethnically-White/West Indian):
American: 251,294
Arab: 35,043
Czech: 59,936
Danish: 13,396
Dutch: 48,909
English: 390,664
French: 166,004
French Canadian: 18,464
German: 589,875
Greek: 13,740
Hungarian: 8,642
Irish: 418,343
Italian: 141,219
Lithuanian: 3,575
Norwegian: 33,469
Polish: 74,902
Portuguese: 8,540
Russian: 24,010
Scotch-Irish: 61,636
Scottish: 81,580
Slovak: 3,831
Subsaharan African: 114,868
Swedish: 39,022
Swiss: 6,566
Ukrainian: 5,853
Welsh: 22,300
West Indian (excluding Hispanic Origin): 26,760
Native Hawaiian: 1,515
Guamanian & Chamorro: 722
Pacific Islander: 1,796
Some other Nationality: 565,646

Miami MSA Composition Breakdown (Ethnically-White/West Indian):
American: 237,902
Arab: 36,011
Czech: 16,266
Danish: 8,556
Dutch: 32,352
English: 223,842
French: 92,196
French Canadian: 19,924
German: 342,087
Greek: 25,925
Hungarian: 29,410
Irish: 321,009
Italian: 308,530
Lithuanian: 13,303
Norwegian: 15,389
Polish: 138,576
Portuguese: 17,613
Russian: 134,315
Scotch-Irish: 21,717
Scottish: 48,821
Slovak: 5,410
Subsaharan African: 30,301
Swedish: 25,877
Swiss: 7,363
Ukrainian: 14,440
Welsh: 13,333
West Indian (excluding Hispanic Origin): 472,222

factfinder2.gov
Quote:
It's not a peer of Chicago at the international level. It's not a peer of the Tri-State Area, the B.A., the DMV, Southland, or Chicagoland at all. Everyone else it compares very favorably to both statistically and by diversity.

This thread really should just end already. Its starting to go in sad little circles.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-05-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,024 times
Quote:
Compared to where?

The B.A. is the worlds tech capital, its home to the prestigious and notoriously challenging Stanford University which is a league ahead of Rice, as well as Berkeley which is the worlds top public university. These places draw international cachet like no other. The B.A. also has the size advantage over Houston, its 1.4 million persons larger and its economy is $140 Billion larger. Houston is the worlds energy capital but that cancels out with the B.A. being the worlds tech capital. In addition to those things, imagine a place as integrated as Houston and then imagine the only statistical place in America that's more integrated than Houston and the Metroplex and that's the B.A. There's also the fact that its just as diverse if not much more so than Houston for three groups and loses out to only one. It has more airline destinations and the airport is a bigger international gateway than anything in Houston. On business, Houston has the third greatest concentration of the worlds most powerful and richest companies in the US and now imagine one of the only two places in America that can surpass Houston in even that and that's the B.A. Like I said, one weakness is the connection to Africa but other than that, the B.A. has a majority sweep across the scale compared to Houston.

The DMV is the capital region of the US. Its got an economy over half a trillion just like the B.A. Its tourism is higher than Houston. It's economy globally more connected to the world by media much more than Houston could imagine. The power and influence of this region is rivaled by only the B.A., Southland, Chicagoland, and Tri-State Area. It's also one of the only places that has no weakness in diversity compared to Houston. It has a larger Asian population, comparable Caucasian population, larger African population and if you took Mexicans out then a comparable Hispanic population. If you put Mexicans in then Houston's got the edge but even then without Mexicans Houston's Hispanic population only trails the B.A., South Florida, Southland, and Tri-State Area.

South Florida is frankly and statistically on the same tier as Houston. It wins in only tourism and name recognition. It has the no brainer edge on Hispanic diversity just as Houston does on African diversity, it has the slight edge on European diversity while Houston does on Asian diversity. Where it loses to Houston is corporate power, Houston companies employ more people overseas by far because unlike Miami, the Houston area actually has companies of its own and some of the worlds most biggest and wealthiest companies at that. Houston is a far larger business center than Miami and it has a much more globally linked economy than Miami, all via being the the energy capital that it is. Much more similar to the way the B.A. is the worlds tech headquarters. Houston compared to the B.A. lacks a Stanford or Berkeley but compared to Miami has a Rice which is a more prestigious and harder school to both get into and have the credentials of applying to. One of America's top 20 colleges and University of Miami isn't. Miami is very much a peer of Boston, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. It's airport isn't as linked to all corners of the world as Boston, Houston, or Dallas.

Houston MSA Composition Breakdown (Ethnically-White/West Indian):
American: 251,294
Arab: 35,043
Czech: 59,936
Danish: 13,396
Dutch: 48,909
English: 390,664
French: 166,004
French Canadian: 18,464
German: 589,875
Greek: 13,740
Hungarian: 8,642
Irish: 418,343
Italian: 141,219
Lithuanian: 3,575
Norwegian: 33,469
Polish: 74,902
Portuguese: 8,540
Russian: 24,010
Scotch-Irish: 61,636
Scottish: 81,580
Slovak: 3,831
Subsaharan African: 114,868
Swedish: 39,022
Swiss: 6,566
Ukrainian: 5,853
Welsh: 22,300
West Indian (excluding Hispanic Origin): 26,760
Native Hawaiian: 1,515
Guamanian & Chamorro: 722
Pacific Islander: 1,796
Some other Nationality: 565,646

Miami MSA Composition Breakdown (Ethnically-White/West Indian):
American: 237,902
Arab: 36,011
Czech: 16,266
Danish: 8,556
Dutch: 32,352
English: 223,842
French: 92,196
French Canadian: 19,924
German: 342,087
Greek: 25,925
Hungarian: 29,410
Irish: 321,009
Italian: 308,530
Lithuanian: 13,303
Norwegian: 15,389
Polish: 138,576
Portuguese: 17,613
Russian: 134,315
Scotch-Irish: 21,717
Scottish: 48,821
Slovak: 5,410
Subsaharan African: 30,301
Swedish: 25,877
Swiss: 7,363
Ukrainian: 14,440
Welsh: 13,333
West Indian (excluding Hispanic Origin): 472,222

factfinder2.gov

It's not a peer of Chicago at the international level. It's not a peer of the Tri-State Area, the B.A., the DMV, Southland, or Chicagoland at all. Everyone else it compares very favorably to both statistically and by diversity.

This thread really should just end already. Its starting to go in sad little circles.

So your arugument is Houston verse a tri state ???? Yeah that only help Houston case then does it not, So you counter to poin to to Houston not being chicago tier is to have a three on one , admitting that alone , Houston holds it own or even surpass them in some area(,tourism the exception ) . Am I reading you right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City