U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: more international
Chi 113 76.87%
Hou 34 23.13%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,341,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
WTF? Some of you boosters are really getting delusional.

I am sorry I don't really find Houston to be that unique. Not even Chicago or Boston is that unique.

Unique is NYC, New Orleans and Las Vegas. Not Houston. There are tons of cities that have that suburban sprawl layout and feel that Houston has. Really name me 5 things that Houston does/has differently that no other city in the U.S. can claim?
You won't find any other US city with churches right next door to fully nude bars I'll tell you that much...well except for maybe Las Vegas, but I doubt its a "real" church more like a wedding chapel with a priest.

You won't find a Chinatown as diverse as Houstons with Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino, Hispanic, Indian, Pakistani, & Nigerian businesses intermingled.

You won't find a house made out of beer cans in Chicago.

You won't find any other US city with mammoth size presidential busts of every US president & 36' tall statues of all the Beatles lining any of the Chicago freeways.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Again, the U.S Census Bureau counts people living within the city limits. City proper. They do not count the size of a metro area, because as we already know, much of the metropolitan areas do not lie within the city limits, Spade. It's always been that way for as long as I can remember. Why people dispute this, esp when it regards Houston, is baffling to me. There seems to be no conflict or issue when it comes to other cities.
I know they do and I'm not saying it's wrong for them to do so. But I'm saying it's bogus to only rely on city populations to determine the true size of the actual city. No way would anyone say that Houston feels very close to Chicago in size. Chicago feels much much larger than Houston. I don't dispute this for only Houston. I dispute this for several cities such as Jacksonville which is somehow bigger than Atlanta. Do you really believe that after visiting both cities?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,461,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You won't find any other US city with churches right next door to fully nude bars I'll tell you that much...well except for maybe Las Vegas, but I doubt its a "real" church more like a wedding chapel with a priest.

You won't find a Chinatown as diverse as Houstons with Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino, Hispanic, Indian, Pakistani, & Nigerian businesses intermingled.

You won't find any other US city with mammoth size presidential busts of every US president & 36' tall statues of all the Beatles lining any of the Chicago freeways.
OMG! You just dont get it! Those are small insignificant things. I am talking about the overall structure, culture and feel of city.

Every city has their small unique things. OVERALL Houston is not a unique city.maybe I should start a thread asking if Houston is a unique city. I would love to make you eat your words.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM

740 posts, read 983,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know they do and I'm not saying it's wrong for them to do so. But I'm saying it's bogus to only rely on city populations to determine the true size of the actual city.
Oooh, ok. I see what you're saying now. yeah, they only count what is considered inside the city limits. We know there are many people living outside of the city limits of Houston.

Quote:
No way would anyone say that Houston feels very close to Chicago in size. Chicago feels much much larger than Houston. I don't dispute this for only Houston. I dispute this for several cities such as Jacksonville which is somehow bigger than Atlanta. Do you really believe that after visiting both cities?
If Jaxville is smaller in sq mi, but has more people within their city limits than ATL, then that is what is considered by Census numbers as larger. their focus is people/population, not land.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 PM

740 posts, read 983,718 times
Quote:

Quote:
OMG! You just dont get it! Those are small insignificant things. I am talking about the overall structure, culture and feel of city.
all of what he listed plays into the culture and feel of a city.

Quote:
Every city has their small unique things. OVERALL Houston is not a unique city.maybe I should start a thread asking if Houston is a unique city. I would love to make you eat your words.

actually to piggy-back off of Matt, another thing that is unique to Houston is it's lack of zoning. Love it or hate it, that is definitely something that you won't find in NYC or Chicago. Otherwise, I agree that NYC is unique, as well as Vegas, New Orleans, and Chicago.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,383,831 times
The AT Kearney Global City Index for 2012 shows Chicago at number 7 (3rd in The US) and Houston at number 38 (7th in The US). For their analysis, "business activity" and "human capital" are each weighted at thirty percent of the overall score. "Information exchange" and "cultural experience" are each weighted at fifteen percent. The last ten percent of the score comes from "political engagement".

Global Cities Index - A.T.*Kearney

Among the many research bulletins at GaWC is this one:

GaWC Research Bulletin 281

It includes a table of the percentage of passengers who stay in the hub city they fly into. For Chicago that number is 55.8%. For Houston it is 52.3%. Not really too much of a difference in that category.

It also looks at ratios of business-related to leisure-related air trips. The table only includes the top six of each. Destinations with the lowest ratios are Kahului, HI; Las Vegas; Honolulu; Brownsville, TX; Phoenix; and Orlando. Destinations with the highest ratios are Minneapolis, Detroit, Washington, Atlanta, Chicago, and New York. Houston isn't among the six highest or the six lowest. Given the number of corporate headquarters in the city, and the fact that it isn't among the top business destinations (by ratio); it would seem likely that it has a fair amount of leisure travel to balance the assumed level of business travel.

My personal perception is that Chicago has a higher international presence, and that Houston is rising quickly in that regard.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,341,718 times
Quote:

These are just some of the many quirky & wacky things you'll see in Houston's land of no zoning laws where anything goes.

Houston has the first & largest Art Car Parade IN THE WORLD! Hows that for culture?

Only in Houston - Space City USA

deepfriedkudzu.com

Missiledick Chicks

The Colonel

spiceware.org

thehoustonartcareparade.com

spacecarshow.com

Space Man

dionlaurent.com

deepdriedkudzu.com

autoweek.com

House built entirely out of beer cans.

Wikipedia

Shotgun house art in Houston

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-07-2012 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,792,394 times
Is this thread still here ????

Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,461,141 times
Quote:
These are just some of the many quirky & wacky things you'll see in Houston's land of no zoning laws where anything goes.

Houston has the first & largest Art Car Parade IN THE WORLD! Hows that for culture?

Only in Houston - Space City USA

deepfriedkudzu.com

Missiledick Chicks

The Colonel

spiceware.org

thehoustonartcareparade.com

spacecarshow.com

Space Man

dionlaurent.com

deepdriedkudzu.com

autoweek.com

House built entirely out of beer cans.

Wikipedia

Shotgun house art in Houston

Just stop. You are just

Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,198,054 times
This thread makes me want to commit suicide to get away from the stupidity in here. From both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or