Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these unpopular Southern cities would you live in if you had to choose?
Oklahoma City 86 58.90%
Little Rock 60 41.10%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I've always heard that little rock was bad when it comes to crime. Is that true?

I like and don't mind cities on the plain. I grew up in the suburb of aurora, co which is on the plains, and Houston so IMO, cities with minimal topography are fine. Okc seems like an up and coming place that has potential to be a big city someday.
Little Rock statistically is much worse than OKC when it comes to crime. Statistics can be a little misleading though. In Little Rock you will be okay as long as you avoid the south and southwest side because that is where all the crime and bad neighborhoods are concentrated. In Oklahoma City you have to really do your research because the bad neighborhoods are more spread out in different areas of the city, some that you wouldn't think like the suburban area just south of Quail Springs Mall. That neighborhood is very dangerous, but just two miles west of it is one of the safest precincts in the entire city of OKC.

And yeah, I agree about OKCs future. The city is trying really hard to work its way up to the next level and thus far they are having success with it. I am looking forward to whats in store for OKC in the next ten years.

I also agree that topography doesn't make or break a city, but it can be a definitely plus to living in an area if you are into that kind of thing. In my opinion, Little Rock's beautiful natural surroundings helps make up for some of the urban amenities the place is lacking.

Last edited by bchris02; 09-05-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
I think OKC is a pretty great city for only being 123 years old. ;-)

Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I think OKC is a pretty great city for only being 123 years old. ;-)
A lot of people forget that a lot of Sunbelt cities just don't have the history the chic cities in the Northeast do so you can't possibly expect them to look like a Northeastern city. They were built primarily during the time of the automobile and designed around it which is why even the inner cities seem so suburban and sprawl is such a problem.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Not a Little Rock fan, but it's weather would be slightly less extreme than OKC's. I admire the Great Plains for what they are, but I don't think I could live out there again.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Not a Little Rock fan, but it's weather would be slightly less extreme than OKC's. I admire the Great Plains for what they are, but I don't think I could live out there again.
I lived in Little Rock in 2008 and 2009, and in spring 2008 two tornadoes touched down not far from where I lived, one right in the heart of the heights neighborhood. It wasn't a strong tornado but still did damage nonetheless and destroyed homes and businesses. Little Rock had an F4 tornado back in 1997, two years before Oklahoma City's F5. Little Rock definitely isn't immune to extreme weather. One thing to take into account is how much better Oklahoma City's warning system is than other places. Little Rock had no tornado sirens, I had to rely on TV weathermen. Then when I lived in Charlotte from 2009-2012, two weak tornadoes, one an EF2 touched down during that time span but I had no idea about them until after the fact and neither did the local news.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
I did say slightly less. What I didn't imply was that I wouldn't voluntarily choose to live in Little Rock again, either. My experience with the Great Plains is that the wind is strong and never stops. Also, there is not just tornados, but hail, straight-line winds, and rain that seems to only come down in torrential downpours. Little Rock isn't as windy or constantly extreme, but it does have all that type of stuff from time to time.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Yesterday it was in the high 90s, today in the low 70s. I actually love the various weather conditions of OKC.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 AM

From the northwest:

From the southwest at Will Rogers World Airport:

From the south along the Oklahoma River:

Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Little Rock Vs. Oklahoma City Oklahoma

I think that little rock Vs. memphis plays out a lot better than little rock Vs. OKC , (because it's tulsa is to oklahoma city) ..what (little rock is to memphis tenn).....
oklahoma city oklahoma and little rock being placed into a scenario of running the mile at a track meet " well oklahoma city is getting ready to (lap little rock arkansas) it not even close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock,_Arkansas

Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
^^^Dont kno if I necessarily agree with that assessment. Who says Oklahoma City is a better city than Tulsa?

I can agree that OKC is ahead of the Rock culturally, and in growth as a city. But its not like it blows Little Rock out of the water, lets not exaggerate here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City