Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these unpopular Southern cities would you live in if you had to choose?
Oklahoma City 86 58.90%
Little Rock 60 41.10%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 21 days ago)

5,770 posts, read 5,531,770 times

Advertisements

I should also say that I would rather live in Little Rock, but this is mostly because of familial ties and I'm a former resident. Like others said, I wouldnt live there again by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,195,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I think that little rock Vs. memphis plays out a lot better than little rock Vs. OKC , (because it's tulsa is to oklahoma city) ..what (little rock is to memphis tenn).....
oklahoma city oklahoma and little rock being placed into a scenario of running the mile at a track meet " well oklahoma city is getting ready to (lap little rock arkansas) it not even close.

Oklahoma City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little Rock, Arkansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OKC and Tulsa are on a much more level playing field than Little Rock and Memphis. Memphis is way ahead of Little Rock, and possibly even ahead of OKC (for now). For Little Rock residents, taking a trip to Memphis is taking a trip to the "big city". Tulsa is only slightly smaller than OKC but they both have different strengths and weaknesses, for instance Tulsa has quite a bit better shopping than OKC does, but OKC has better nightlife. Memphis blows away Little Rock in nearly every category.

As for OKC vs Little Rock, yes OKC is significantly ahead as far as urban amenities but Little Rock has its own strengths OKC couldn't begin to match simply due to geography. Much of what OKC has as far as urban amenities, Little Rock has on a smaller scale, for instance the River Market in Little Rock is like a mini-version of OKC's Bricktown.

Much like OKC and Tulsa, there are also varying strengths and weaknesses between OKC and Little Rock that put them much closer to each other than one might expect. Little Rock has a streetcar system while OKC does not, though one is in the works for OKC. On the flipside, OKC's downtown is considerably more dense than Little Rock's. Little Rock's Hillcrest/Heights neighborhoods are unmatched by anything in OKC, but Little Rock doesn't have anything like OKC's Paseo, Plaza District, or Asian District. Little Rock is more liberal percentage wise, but OKC has a larger liberal population simply because of its larger size. A big one for me is Pinnacle Mountain State Park in Little Rock. You have to take a day trip from Central Oklahoma to find anything remotely close to that jewel that Little Rock has in its city limits.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM

108 posts, read 542,060 times
Oklahoma City skyline picture showing the Devon Tower

Oklahoma City

Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,506,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
OKC and Tulsa are on a much more level playing field than Little Rock and Memphis. Memphis is way ahead of Little Rock, and possibly even ahead of OKC (for now). For Little Rock residents, taking a trip to Memphis is taking a trip to the "big city". Tulsa is only slightly smaller than OKC but they both have different strengths and weaknesses, for instance Tulsa has quite a bit better shopping than OKC does, but OKC has better nightlife. Memphis blows away Little Rock in nearly every category.

As for OKC vs Little Rock, yes OKC is significantly ahead as far as urban amenities but Little Rock has its own strengths OKC couldn't begin to match simply due to geography. Much of what OKC has as far as urban amenities, Little Rock has on a smaller scale, for instance the River Market in Little Rock is like a mini-version of OKC's Bricktown.

Much like OKC and Tulsa, there are also varying strengths and weaknesses between OKC and Little Rock that put them much closer to each other than one might expect. Little Rock has a streetcar system while OKC does not, though one is in the works for OKC. On the flipside, OKC's downtown is considerably more dense than Little Rock's. Little Rock's Hillcrest/Heights neighborhoods are unmatched by anything in OKC, but Little Rock doesn't have anything like OKC's Paseo, Plaza District, or Asian District. Little Rock is more liberal percentage wise, but OKC has a larger liberal population simply because of its larger size. A big one for me is Pinnacle Mountain State Park in Little Rock. You have to take a day trip from Central Oklahoma to find anything remotely close to that jewel that Little Rock has in its city limits.
I have to make a trip to little rock arkansas it been quite a while since i been there...the 1970's , but little rock is a medium sized city " urban area " and OKC is in the ranks of a " big city " urban area. something that you forgot to meant about little rock that place it in a higher tier than OKC...little rock has a ( 5 star hotel ) and OKC and tulsa does not.......

Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^^Dont kno if I necessarily agree with that assessment. Who says Oklahoma City is a better city than Tulsa?

I can agree that OKC is ahead of the Rock culturally, and in growth as a city. But its not like it blows Little Rock out of the water, lets not exaggerate here...
OKC is to little rock....what NYC is to LA it's as simple as that..the two cities simply aren't anywhere near the same size for there to be fair competition between the two (2).....

Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,637,061 times
I was there when that new building was being built

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,195,553 times
Quote:
I have to make a trip to little rock arkansas it been quite a while since i been there...the 1970's , but little rock is a medium sized city " urban area " and OKC is in the ranks of a " big city " urban area. something that you forgot to meant about little rock that place it in a higher tier than OKC...little rock has a ( 5 star hotel ) and OKC and tulsa does not.......
As far as I know, unless its been promoted, the Peabody is a four-diamond hotel. Oklahoma City has the Skirvin Hilton, Renaissance Hotel and the Waterford Marriott are all four-diamond hotels. Neither city has a five-diamond rated hotel.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
As far as I know, unless its been promoted, the Peabody is a four-diamond hotel. Oklahoma City has the Skirvin Hilton, Renaissance Hotel and the Waterford Marriott are all four-diamond hotels. Neither city has a five-diamond rated hotel.
I had to check again because i haven't given the matter any though lately ( Little Rock Hotels 5 * Rating ) I checked and here a link......
The 2 Best Luxury Hotels in Little Rock, AR : Five Star Alliance

Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM

469 posts, read 965,391 times
Quote:
I had to check again because i haven't given the matter any though lately ( Little Rock Hotels 5 * Rating ) I checked and here a link......
The 2 Best Luxury Hotels in Little Rock, AR : Five Star Alliance
The Peabody Little Rock is in fact a four diamond hotel as is the Peabody Orlando. Both are owned and operated by the Peabody Hotel Group out of Memphis where the original Peabody, known as the "South's Grand Hotel" is located. The Memphis Peabody is four star, four diamond, but none are five star. Different organizations may rate hotels by star, dot, or diamond, but are not the same as the old Mobile Five Star system which is now Forbes and is the industry benchmark. 8,000 hotels are rated by Forbes and only a few dozen are given five star ratings. The original tradition of the Peabody Ducks began in Memphis in 1933 and has continued there ever since then.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
The Peabody Little Rock is in fact a four diamond hotel as is the Peabody Orlando. Both are owned and operated by the Peabody Hotel Group out of Memphis where the original Peabody, known as the "South's Grand Hotel" is located. The Memphis Peabody is four star, four diamond, but none are five star
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
. Different organizations may rate hotels by star, dot, or diamond, but are not the same as the old Mobile Five Star system which is now Forbes and is the industry benchmark. 8,000 hotels are rated by Forbes and only a few dozen are given five star ratings. The original tradition of the Peabody Ducks began in Memphis in 1933 and has continued there ever since then.
I'm not in error when I mentioned Little Rock Arkansas having a 5 star hotel " the gounp(s) saving that a hotel was a 5 star hotel when in fact it wasn't are at fault and not me.

I can only continue calling hotel 5 star(s) when I see them presented in that light , as I did with the Little Rock Arkansas Hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City