Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs Tampa
Charlotte 94 40.52%
Tampa 138 59.48%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,636,707 times

Advertisements

Since these are the two cities that were chosen to host the conventions this year, I thought it would make sense to start a thread. Besides, I think it's a fair comparison. Both are home to banking headquarters.

-architecture
-economy
-history
-culture
-nightlife
-recreation
-quality of life
-diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
I just had to delete 7 posts. Please keep political comments out of the City vs. City forum. If you want to talk politics, you are invited to go to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,876,933 times
-architecture Tampa
-economy Charlotte
-history Tampa
-culture Tampa
-nightlife Tampa
-recreation Tampa
-quality of life Charlotte
-diversity[/quote] Tampa has a more diverse population.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
-architecture Tampa
-economy Charlotte
-history Tampa
-culture Tampa
-nightlife Tampa
-recreation Tampa
-quality of life Charlotte
-diversity Tampa has a more diverse population.
I don't think that's necessarily a clear-cut truth. Charlotte has a lower non-Hispanic White percentage and larger African-American and Asian percentages. Meanwhile, Tampa has a larger Hispanic population.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,674,440 times
Hmmm interesting. I think Tampa wins in nightlife and weather, quality of life I'd say is a tie, but Charlotte has a more stable economy.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,038,622 times
This is a totally subjective comparison. An interesting one. Give me Charlotte for the win. I like the seasons and diversity. Also like the variety of access to different types of recreation in Charlotte area vs. Tampa area(mountains, lakes,beaches, forest, white-water rafting, snow, skiing, etc. ... To me Charlotte offers more for African-ameeicans and gas more culture as well. I think people on here area voting just for the beach.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
This is a totally subjective comparison. An interesting one. Give me Charlotte for the win. I like the seasons and diversity. Also like the variety of access to different types of recreation in Charlotte area vs. Tampa area(mountains, lakes,beaches, forest, white-water rafting, snow, skiing, etc. ... To me Charlotte offers more for African-ameeicans and gas more culture as well. I think people on here area voting just for the beach.
^^^Tampa's cultural amenities are on par with Charlotte's. And so is the history. Folks don't know enough about either city to have a clear cut answer, but I think folks know even less about Tampa besides the beaches. Tampa isn't just beaches, it has a deep history(almost similar to Miami) with Cuban immigrants, and Itlaian immigrants. And if we're comparing metro areas as a whole, than that gives Tampa an even larger boost, as it's also surrounded by St.Pete and Clearwater, 2 other cities that are almost on par with Tampa it's self. Tampa Bay and Greater Charlotte are both in the same league. Economically, Charlotte is greater of course, but everything else is dead even. I think Tampa Bay may even have a higher population than Greater Charlotte.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,038,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
^^^Tampa's cultural amenities are on par with Charlotte's. And so is the history. Folks don't know enough about either city to have a clear cut answer, but I think folks know even less about Tampa besides the beaches. Tampa isn't just beaches, it has a deep history(almost similar to Miami) with Cuban immigrants, and Itlaian immigrants. And if we're comparing metro areas as a whole, than that gives Tampa an even larger boost, as it's also surrounded by St.Pete and Clearwater, 2 other cities that are almost on par with Tampa it's self. Tampa Bay and Greater Charlotte are both in the same league. Economically, Charlotte is greater of course, but everything else is dead even. I think Tampa Bay may even have a higher population than Greater Charlotte.
Yeah Tampa has the higher population.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,769,982 times
I would rather live in Charlotte. NC has a pretty educated population and I lived in the Tampa area for two months and can't really say that I saw too many educated people there. I'm sure there are, I'm just speaking from my own personal experience.

Tampa definitely has some fine beaches and I'm not too sure how they compare to NC beaches. Charlotte's in the western part of NC I think, so it's not exactly right near the ocean. But some people aren't into that kind of stuff.

Charlotte also seems more clean to me than Tampa. Not to hate on Tampa, but I found the city to be a bit of a dump. Even if you just look at the two cities on Google Maps, you can kind of come to that conclusion yourself.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 PM

37,794 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, going by the CSA, Tampa Bay is larger by about 380K. Going by MSA, it has a million more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City