U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,421,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc227 View Post
how can queens be segregated lol
its probably the most diverse city in the entire us
it has people of basically ethnicity you can think of
A place can still be diverse yet segregated. In fact, a lot of places where they shove the "diversity" argument down everyone's throat tend to be very segregated in reality.

The key is looking for integrated places, but many people seem to have their heads up their asses on "diversity!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,660,818 times
Atlanta big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,825,575 times
Atlanta is actually not very segregated comparatively. There are some neighborhoods with mostly one race or another...but more often than not the areas are mixed and, in my experience, most residents are not concerned with the race of their neighbors.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 PM

44,664 posts, read 43,196,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta is actually not very segregated comparatively. There are some neighborhoods with mostly one race or another...but more often than not the areas are mixed and, in my experience, most residents are not concerned with the race of their neighbors.
That depends. There were some issues with Forsyth County a few years ago.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That depends. There were some issues with Forsyth County a few years ago.
Yes...Oprah highlighted Forsyth County in the 80s. But that doesn't lead to the conclusion that Atlanta is the most segregated city in the U.S.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 PM

880 posts, read 2,470,636 times
Atlanta itself is not as segregated as some cities, but the suburbs of Atlanta are VERY segregated!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM

44,664 posts, read 43,196,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Not so in Houston, which is very very diverse and hardly segregated.

Even outside of this city, there isn't really a big problem of black and white racism, nowadays. A lot of racism in the south seems to be directed towards some foreigners. Still, nobody here "knows their place." No one here accepts any injustice. Blacks, along with all other minorities demand the same respect and fairness that everybody else gets.

For the most part, racism is more of a taboo in the south than it is anywhere else.
I am a bit late on this.

Houston is a different story. Houston has always been a bit different. Houuston was more of a melting pot so it developed differently.

I was telling of how it historically has been and how some feelings could be passed down and at the same time hidden.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Atlanta itself is not as segregated as some cities, but the suburbs of Atlanta are VERY segregated!
Some are, and some aren't. I've been in several suburban areas and have never noticed a lack of diversity in any of them. There may be a visible majority of one race or another, but certainly not to the extreme of being segregated.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,421,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I went into the bar 2 blocks from my house to buy a pizza today. There were black gangsta types, longhaired (probably self-described) "rednecks", middle-aged black women drinking with and talking to old white men. Everybody was cheering a live police chase on the big-screen TVs. I love Pittsburgh.
From my experiences, Pittsburgh, despite being a rust belt city, has a fair amount of affable black-white integration and a decent amount of black-white interracial couples and families. Even though this is especially true for the university neighborhood of Oakland where I was as a freshmen at U Pitt, the local blacks and whites there seem to not hold too much hostility towards each other. I honestly think this is partially because of the lack of class divides, because in Pittsburgh, there is no rich-white/poor-black divide. Nearly everybody's working class or poor, and it's that class similarity I think that heavily contributes to the citizens having more familiarity and less strain between each other!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 PM

188 posts, read 444,797 times
Cincinnati, D.C., SF Bay Area, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Minneapolis and Memphis are probably the most segregated cities of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or