U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,265,620 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
No, it isn't an oxymoron. The word "Nazi" is an acronym for the German word/political organization National Soziallist (National Socialist).
Blacks have their own black organizations like The NAACP, The New Black Panther Party, Black Firefighters Association, Black Fraternal Order of Police, Black Political Caucus, Black BAR Association, Black this and Black that.

If these organizations were White this and that, they would be branded a racist organization. Clearly double standards.
And those organizations sprung up at a time when the concerns of Blacks within those industries or fields were pushed aside or not taken seriously. Even today, those organizations have relevance. I mean, seriously, if you view things that simply, then you're not even trying to understand. Double standards are justified where inequality exists. And by "inequality," I'm not referring to unequal treatment, but unequal conditions (which are primarily the result of past inequal treatment).

In one post, you criticize Blacks who you say have turned your city into a crime-infested hellhole. Yet many of these same Black organizations, which you're also criticizing, were created to specifically help mitigate and eliminate those problems. We can't win for losing.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 02-28-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,864,729 times
Reputation: 660
My votes probably would have to go out to Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. Chicago and New York are pretty bad too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,207,399 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
wherever people are really scared. they think if they stick with the same color its safer. i mean they think they know the other guy pretty good.
its a herd thing we seek the herd for protection.
it does not matter what color the cow.
not true?
go to any prison.
I'm not stupid enough to think that because I match skin colors with someone I will know/understand that person better or that I will feel "safer" for some reason. I think you are speaking only for you, not for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
 
56,088 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And those organizations sprung up at a time when the concerns of Blacks within those industries or fields were pushed aside or not taken seriously. Even today, those organizations have relevance. I mean, seriously, if you view things that simply, then you're not even trying to understand. Double standards are justified where inequality exists. And by "inequality," I'm not referring to unequal treatment, but unequal conditions (which are primarily the result of past inequal treatment).

In one post, you criticize Blacks who you say have turned your city into a crime-infested hellhole. Yet many of these same Black organizations, which you're also criticizing, were created to specifically help mitigate and eliminate those problems. We can't win for losing.
Exactly, they were formed due to racism, not to be racist. It is amazing that many people do not understand that concept.

Also, many of these organizations and historically Black colleges were actually formed with the help of or by Whites. So, there were others that saw a need for such things. For instance, did you know that Historically Black colleges Howard, Fisk, Spelman and Wilberforce are named after White people? Three of the people were abolitionists and Spelman, who my wife is distantly related to, was married to a Rockefeller and was a generouse person. She contributed money to what was at the time called Trinity college in Atlanta, but the school changed the name of the school in her honor. Unfortunately, we won't see or hear about such stories in schools though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,265,620 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly, they were formed due to racism, not to be racist. It is amazing that many people do not understand that concept.

Also, many of these organizations and historically Black colleges were actually formed with the help of or by Whites. So, there were others that saw a need for such things. For instance, did you know that Historically Black colleges Howard, Fisk, Spelman and Wilberforce are named after White people? Three of the people were abolitionists and Spelman, who my wife is distantly related to, was married to a Rockefeller and was a generouse person. She contributed money to what was at the time called Trinity college in Atlanta, but the school changed the name of the school in her honor. Unfortunately, we won't see or hear about such stories in schools though.
But you're sure to hear that "Blacks sold other Blacks into slavery!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
 
56,088 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But you're sure to hear that "Blacks sold other Blacks into slavery!"
I know, right......like the Euro's didn't want them either.

Anyway, many people do not have any clue about the history of their own country, because so much of it has been put on the backburner or covered up altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 AM
 
47,328 posts, read 45,113,496 times
Reputation: 15131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know, right......like the Euro's didn't want them either.

Anyway, many people do not have any clue about the history of their own country, because so much of it has been put on the backburner or covered up altogether.
History is often covered up. Many people don't know that Europeans were first used as slaves in the USA, mainly as indentured servants. Eventually, that ended, mainly because of a feeling that the "master race" shouldn't be enslaved. Next, the Native Americans were enslaved for a time. Because many Native Americans fought back, that ended. Why? Native Americans were enslaved in their own land and if they ran away, they could hide in the wilderness somewhere and blend in. You couldn't tell who was free or who was enslaved. Next, Blacks were tried. This lasted the longest because anyone who tried to rebel was killed. Anyone who ran away could be found because black skin stuck out in the North American wilderness, so any runaway slave could be found. Those who weren't found often made it to Northern urban areas. This is when the fugitive slave laws were enacted. After this, some slaves escaped to Canada. No one meant for blacks to participate in America's history, until it was found to be at someone else's advantage to do so.

Alot of things have been put on the backburner because no one wants to hear about it. Some things actually scare people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,207,399 times
Reputation: 2779
There is a lot of history that isn't taught or discussed, but not because it scares anyone...we don't always know everything that happened due to poor or inaccurate records, or even no records at all. There are often stories in the news about something new/previously undiscovered - not just from American history, but throughout human history and even prior. History isn't a perfect science and doesn't come in a nice, complete package. Of course, there was a period in American history where human bias slanted our history...it was taught from a white perspective - but I don't think that is the case today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
 
56,088 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There is a lot of history that isn't taught or discussed, but not because it scares anyone...we don't always know everything that happened due to poor or inaccurate records, or even no records at all. There are often stories in the news about something new/previously undiscovered - not just from American history, but throughout human history and even prior. History isn't a perfect science and doesn't come in a nice, complete package. Of course, there was a period in American history where human bias slanted our history...it was taught from a white perspective - but I don't think that is the case today.
I think the reason for this is that people of color and some Whites have does more and more research. For instance, I found out that the first non-Native settlers to the Syracuse area were runaway slaves for the Esopus Mountain area of Ulster County, NY. They lived among the Native Americans in the present day area. I though that was fascinating not only because of the settler aspect, but because there was slavery in NY until 1827, when the slaves were able to be emancipated from their masters, but the younger slaves of under a certain age has to serve until they were adults or a certain age. Yes, we're talking about NY State. A good book to read about this is North Star Country, by former Syracuse University professor Milton Sernett.

Also, did you know that New Jersey didn't release it's last slave until 1866? That was AFTER the Civil War. Mississippi didn't ratify the Amendment against slavery until 1995! It didn't happen in Kentucky until 1976. There is so much out there that we don't know that it is pathetic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirtee...d_ratification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 04:09 PM
 
56,088 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
History is often covered up. Many people don't know that Europeans were first used as slaves in the USA, mainly as indentured servants. Eventually, that ended, mainly because of a feeling that the "master race" shouldn't be enslaved. Next, the Native Americans were enslaved for a time. Because many Native Americans fought back, that ended. Why? Native Americans were enslaved in their own land and if they ran away, they could hide in the wilderness somewhere and blend in. You couldn't tell who was free or who was enslaved. Next, Blacks were tried. This lasted the longest because anyone who tried to rebel was killed. Anyone who ran away could be found because black skin stuck out in the North American wilderness, so any runaway slave could be found. Those who weren't found often made it to Northern urban areas. This is when the fugitive slave laws were enacted. After this, some slaves escaped to Canada. No one meant for blacks to participate in America's history, until it was found to be at someone else's advantage to do so.

Alot of things have been put on the backburner because no one wants to hear about it. Some things actually scare people.
All of this is completely true and most of the indentured servants were usually Irish. Keep in mind that the Irish were occupied by the British for 500 years and even to this day, there is still some hostility. Check this out:RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS

and this:tim wise - Google Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top