U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:47 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,609,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Well, you'd be expecting incorrectly. They aren't.

Newer cities tend to be more integrated. They have to be.
I've been doing some research, and once again disproven your ridiculous statements purely in defense of your two favorite cities. If you had an education, you'd know those two cities have been around a long time, and that neither, as someone has said, is exactly very well integrated, though they are less segregated than other cities. Try and do a little research before making statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yep, and the most common form of modern segregation comes in two words: white flight. And it's spreading out further and further. Blacks are the undesirables of this country, and a lot of wealthy communities are thinking that if someone of color is able to get into their neighborhood, the value must have went down. And don't let it be an "ethnic" black person.

Even while it's not the main problem, it's not just a black and white thing. There are many areas where Latinos and Mediterranean persons are not wanted around.
Yet; people wink at dark skinned people of Italian heritage in so-called 'lily-white' areas.

As for Blacks; even there the so-called 'color line' tends to be bent to 'allow' Nigerians, Kenyans, Jamaicans, etc. into the 'White' areas-------the latter having major attitude against American Black people.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:02 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,039,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I've been doing some research, and once again disproven your ridiculous statements purely in defense of your two favorite cities. If you had an education, you'd know those two cities have been around a long time, and that neither, as someone has said, is exactly very well integrated, though they are less segregated than other cities. Try and do a little research before making statements.
Research? LOL. What the hell are you talking about? Are you the professor of City-Data now? I'm the one that refuted your original claim.

Yes, Indy and Columbo both have segregated neighborhoods as does any city but for the most part, both cities are not "very segregated" as you implied--and especially not compared to the list of cities you gave. Both Columbo and Indy are cities that have strong middle-class suburban neighborhoods--which tend to be integrated.

(Mod Cut, personal attack)

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-06-2007 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Refrain from personal attacks.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:03 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet; people wink at dark skinned people of Italian heritage in so-called 'lily-white' areas.

As for Blacks; even there the so-called 'color line' tends to be bent to 'allow' Nigerians, Kenyans, Jamaicans, etc. into the 'White' areas-------the latter having major attitude against American Black people.
Yeah, Nigerians and Kenyans maybe, but Jamaicans are usually grouped with American Blacks since their lifestyles are similar to that of our own. It's a crying shame what people are having to put up with. I blame the media, lol.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,064,102 times
Quote:
I don't know if Indy and Columbus are, but I'd expect them to be.
Columbus is more liberal than Indy, and recognized as a place for mixed relationships, and is a "liberal" minded city.

It does differ if your speaking of the original 50sq miles of Columbus, or the annexed "new post WWII" growth areas of Columbus (that add together to make Columbus 222sq miles and a little more. Columbus' newer middle class areas are very very very intergrated. Many middle class neigborhoods and suburbs of Columbus have a mix of races. Columbus' annexation policy, non-industrial decline, high white collar growth, and lack of inner-ring suburbs, high college graduation rates, contributed to the cities ability to escape "extreme white flight" and segregation.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:28 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,609,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Research? LOL. What the hell are you talking about? Are you the professor of City-Data now? I'm the one that refuted your original claim.

Yes, Indy and Columbo both have segregated neighborhoods as does any city but for the most part, both cities are not "very segregated" as you implied--and especially not compared to the list of cities you gave. Both Columbo and Indy are cities that have strong middle-class suburban neighborhoods--which tend to be integrated.

(Mod Cut, personal attack)
You didn't refute anything...i made an assumption, I didn't go out and state this as fact...I assumed...big difference pal. Also, I'm sick of your personal attacks. All you've done is attack me the first time I encountered you. Be an adult like streetcreed instead of an angry little kid.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM

98 posts, read 435,435 times
Detroit...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,259,220 times
Quote:
Arabs along with Iranians, etc. are White, whatever their religious beliefs.
Officially (per U.S. census bureau classification policy.) yes, that is true, though many don't see it that way socialy speaking. But in the greater Detroit region almost all of them live in Dearborn or in the suburbs anyway, -not in Detroit itself. -Emil.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus is more liberal than Indy, and recognized as a place for mixed relationships, and is a "liberal" minded city.

It does differ if your speaking of the original 50sq miles of Columbus, or the annexed "new post WWII" growth areas of Columbus (that add together to make Columbus 222sq miles and a little more. Columbus' newer middle class areas are very very very intergrated. Many middle class neigborhoods and suburbs of Columbus have a mix of races. Columbus' annexation policy, non-industrial decline, high white collar growth, and lack of inner-ring suburbs, high college graduation rates, contributed to the cities ability to escape "extreme white flight" and segregation.
from what I have seen, there are still many very white suburban areas in Columbus. It's all relative, though.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
One things that has been overlooked is certain so-called 'minorities' who would be counted as 'Anglo' (non Hispanic White) today had to deal with restrictive covenants, etc. even after WW II.

Jewish people come to mind-------in fact; Barry Goldwater from Arizona, who was Episcipalian (sp), was 'banned' from a country club because his father was 'Jewish'-----whereupon Goldwater demanded to play 9 holes of golf due to his other parent being Christian!

Yours Truly here; despite being Nordic White in appearance, would have had trouble due to my Eastern European heritage (Hungarian) as well as having 'obvious' Irish traits as well--------remember the No Irish need apply signs?

My point being that lines and boundaries shift and turn as time goes on.
Great point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or