Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 AM

118 posts, read 465,336 times

Advertisements

Notice how everyone is saying that their city is the most segregated?
The fact is: Every city is segregated. The government cannot force people to live together and most people want to live with their own race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:46 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
When you have large populations of African-Americans, it seems they like to stick together--live in the same neighborhoods, have their own churches and social clubs, form friendships with each other. I think it's largely self-segregating, although some might disagree with me.
ehh that seems like they have black nazi-like characteristics.[/quote]

Middle class blacks in Atlanta are often blasted by some whites for being racist because they live together in all or mostly black neighborhoods. But the reason for this is simple. One it allows them to network with and become friends with other successful people that are culturally the same as them and two it allows their kids to experience growing up around lots of successful black role models ( this is acctually a rare privelege in most of America where most of the successful people are whites living in neighborhoods where there may be at most just a few successful blacks sprinkled in).

In neighborhoods in cities like New York Irish, Italians, Chinese, Jews, Russians, etc. have chosen to stick together for the same reasons but they are not refered to as militants, or 'nazi-like' when they do this.

And lastly, I know for a fact that the blacks in these neighborhoods don't discourage whites from moving in and they are nice to any whites that do choose to move in. The fact is middle class blacks have for decades been moving to overwhelmingly white middle class neighborhoods and trying to fit in. But most whites don't want to try and fit into a mostly black neighborhood no matter how nice the blacks there might be to them.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:35 AM

127 posts, read 442,538 times
Quote:
When you have large populations of African-Americans, it seems they like to stick together--live in the same neighborhoods, have their own churches and social clubs, form friendships with each other. I think it's largely self-segregating, although some might disagree with me.
ehh that seems like they have black nazi-like characteristics.

I that was kind of racist..........Where ever you have the same race in the same neihgborhood they are going to interact with one another.plus when Blacks try to venture out to other neighborhoods (mainly suburbia) they get shun away from the place they try to become moer familair with. If I moved to lets say where there are maily whites in the area how long do you expect someone to move out because of another race is there. Not saying that is like that all the time but it is like that 85% of the time. and in Chicago we have our neighborhoods where its ethnic prone, where all the whites live to gether,blacks,latin,jewish,asian,africans all have there own little town in the city,but I don't think that they are nazi like.I think you have some type issue buddy check you dogma before you issue out your opinons (rude ppl are every where even on the internet)

Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChicago View Post

I that was kind of racist..........Where ever you have the same race in the same neihgborhood they are going to interact with one another.plus when Blacks try to venture out to other neighborhoods (mainly suburbia) they get shun away from the place they try to become moer familair with. If I moved to lets say where there are maily whites in the area how long do you expect someone to move out because of another race is there. Not saying that is like that all the time but it is like that 85% of the time. and in Chicago we have our neighborhoods where its ethnic prone, where all the whites live to gether,blacks,latin,jewish,asian,africans all have there own little town in the city,but I don't think that they are nazi like.I think you have some type issue buddy check you dogma before you issue out your opinons (rude ppl are every where even on the internet)
Calling someone racist? You MUST be a democrat!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Notice how everyone is saying that their city is the most segregated?
The fact is: Every city is segregated. The government cannot force people to live together and most people want to live with their own race.
I think you are missing the point. Of course many cities are segregated. Government cannot force people to live together, but it certainly can prevent segregation. I'm not so sure that "most" people want to live with their own race. In the western states, in particular, you'll find the most integrated cities and neighborhoods, not because the government "forced" them to be that way, but because of the attitudes of the people who live in those cities.

My neighborhood is overwhelmingly white. My black neighbor two houses down any my Asian neighbor kitty-corner may not have wanted to live with their own race (or maybe they just likes the architecture, amenities, schools, conveninece, etc. better than any house they could find in a neighborhood of their own race). They've never told me and I don't presume to know their reasons.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Calling someone racist? You MUST be a democrat!
Don't Republicans acknowledge the existence of racism?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't Republicans acknowledge the existence of racism?
Of course, but they don't run around crying "that's racist" at every little thing!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
The Detroit metro has to be up there.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,500 times
I went into the bar 2 blocks from my house to buy a pizza today. There were black gangsta types, longhaired (probably self-described) "rednecks", middle-aged black women drinking with and talking to old white men. Everybody was cheering a live police chase on the big-screen TVs. I love Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City