Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 PM

430 posts, read 1,393,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
It should be noted that segregation these days is by choice and free will of each individual. Apparently segregation was enforced for such a long time that even when they finally said it was illegal, people apparantly didn't want to give it up. we enforced it for almost 100 years and it basically sunk into society as being natural now. And I don't see it ending anytime soon.
True in large part, but there is also still a lot of discrimination by a large % (far from all) real estate agents. -The use of testers has pretty consistently found this to be the case. But yes, much of it is also voluntary, -though that is also often do to feeling intimidated in areas that have people who are diferant in terms of race, and dose not necessarily reflect people ideals. Crime can be a factor, but it also applies to many low crime communities that many non white fear moving into becuase of feared lack of acceptance. It also applies to many non white areas that are actualy low crime communities but perceived as otherwise do to steriotyping. Largely, it is just fear of not fitting in/being rejected one way or another. You see this even with whites with very diferant beliefs, lifestyles etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
which do you all think is the most segregated city. I have heard many people who said how segregated chicago is. some even say new york city is segregated.
New York and Los Angeles are very segregated. I mean anyplace that has to make distinctions among "Little Italy", "Chinatown", "Koreatown", "Spanish Harlem", Williamsburg "Jewish" district, the "barrios", etc is clearly segregated. Both NY and LA have lots of ethnic enclaves which just reek of segregation.

Washington, D.C. is highly segregated between the eastern and western halves of the city and Baltimore is another seriously segregated city. Actually if you stand on the platform in some of DC's central Metro stations, you can easily see that people waiting on one side of the platform are all black (the eastern city and the eastern MD suburbs) and the opposite platform is all white (the western city and western MD suburbs).

The city-suburb segregation, I've read somewhere, is greatest in Detroit where the city is something like 98% black and the suburbs are predominantly white, Asian, and Muslim.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
New York and Los Angeles are very segregated. I mean anyplace that has to make distinctions among "Little Italy", "Chinatown", "Koreatown", "Spanish Harlem", Williamsburg "Jewish" district, the "barrios", etc is clearly segregated. Both NY and LA have lots of ethnic enclaves which just reek of segregation.

Washington, D.C. is highly segregated between the eastern and western halves of the city and Baltimore is another seriously segregated city. Actually if you stand on the platform in some of DC's central Metro stations, you can easily see that people waiting on one side of the platform are all black (the eastern city and the eastern MD suburbs) and the opposite platform is all white (the western city and western MD suburbs).

The city-suburb segregation, I've read somewhere, is greatest in Detroit where the city is something like 98% black and the suburbs are predominantly white, Asian, and Muslim.
Detroit is about 85% black I believe, and less than 10% non hispanic white. There are also many Arab Christians (Lebanese and Syrian) as well as Muslims in the area.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 PM

48 posts, read 158,954 times
No one mentioned Boston--I seem to remember that town being pretty darn segregated.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
I love it how people say which cities are the most segregated, acting as though it's totally normal for most cities to have 100% diverse neighborhoods, with everyone living hand in hand.

Every damn city is segregated. Sadly, people just naturally feel drawn to only be aroud their own kind.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I love it how people say which cities are the most segregated, acting as though it's totally normal for most cities to have 100% diverse neighborhoods, with everyone living hand in hand.

Every damn city is segregated. Sadly, people just naturally feel drawn to only be aroud their own kind.
That's quite true to one degree or another everywhere. -But it's still true that some cities are far more segregated than others. It's a matter of degree. -Emil.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Definately Detroit

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
Detroit is about 85% black I believe, and less than 10% non hispanic white. There are also many Arab Christians (Lebanese and Syrian) as well as Muslims in the area.
Arabs along with Iranians, etc. are White, whatever their religious beliefs.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
One things that has been overlooked is certain so-called 'minorities' who would be counted as 'Anglo' (non Hispanic White) today had to deal with restrictive covenants, etc. even after WW II.

Jewish people come to mind-------in fact; Barry Goldwater from Arizona, who was Episcipalian (sp), was 'banned' from a country club because his father was 'Jewish'-----whereupon Goldwater demanded to play 9 holes of golf due to his other parent being Christian!

Yours Truly here; despite being Nordic White in appearance, would have had trouble due to my Eastern European heritage (Hungarian) as well as having 'obvious' Irish traits as well--------remember the No Irish need apply signs?

My point being that lines and boundaries shift and turn as time goes on.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:15 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
It should be noted that segregation these days is by choice and free will of each individual. Apparently segregation was enforced for such a long time that even when they finally said it was illegal, people apparantly didn't want to give it up. we enforced it for almost 100 years and it basically sunk into society as being natural now. And I don't see it ending anytime soon.
Yep, and the most common form of modern segregation comes in two words: white flight. And it's spreading out further and further. Blacks are the undesirables of this country, and a lot of wealthy communities are thinking that if someone of color is able to get into their neighborhood, the value must have went down. And don't let it be an "ethnic" black person.

Even while it's not the main problem, it's not just a black and white thing. There are many areas where Latinos and Mediterranean persons are not wanted around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City