Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,928 times

Advertisements

fwiw, We had friends who lived in Richmond VA for a few years and felt like it was 1940 the way it was so segregated. Very much still the "capital of the confederacy" as far as they could see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
LA, even in the projects, mexicans hang out in one parcel of land between the buildings, blacks hang out on the next, seemed curious to me. Then theres vast mexican neighbor hoods, and entire cities of white people, I think the only place i saw down there where people mixed was on skidrow.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Bozeman is nearly 100% white. Not sure if that makes us segregated or not....

Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM

79 posts, read 536,555 times
I'm asking this because i hear so many people from other cities taking about midwest cities being so segregated like chicago.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You didn't refute anything...i made an assumption, I didn't go out and state this as fact...I assumed...big difference pal.
Sure I did. I clearly proved that Indianapolis is not "very conservative" as you implied. And I provided my source. Where's yours?

Quote:
Also, I'm sick of your personal attacks. All you've done is attack me the first time I encountered you. Be an adult like streetcreed instead of an angry little kid.
Well then show me some RESPECT if you want some in return...instead of having a hissy-fit. I suppose we should hereby agree to disagree.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Sure I did. I clearly proved that Indianapolis is not "very conservative" as you implied. And I provided my source. Where's yours?

Well then show me some RESPECT if you want some in return...instead of having a hissy-fit. I suppose we should hereby agree to disagree.
Excuse me...when did you prove Indy wasn't conservative? Must have missed that one. All you said was that my source was inadequate and you failed to provide one of your own. Yea...you beat me Here's my source saying Indy is conservative.

http://votingresearch.org/USAconservativecities.pdf

Try revoking this one. Out of 237 cities, Indy made number 81 for most conservative cities. THat's pretty high on the list. It's higher than Louisville, Nashville, and Augusta, Georgia. Indy is a conservative city. Period. Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Kansas City are nowhere near as conservative as Indy. All of these cities were a good deal more than halfway down the list. Indy was in nearly the first third. Now where is your source proving Indy is liberal? I'm waiting....

Last edited by ajf131; 10-08-2007 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Excuse me...when did you prove Indy wasn't conservative? Must have missed that one. All you said was that my source was inadequate and you failed to provide one of your own. Yea...you beat me Here's my source saying Indy is conservative.

http://votingresearch.org/USAconservativecities.pdf

Try revoking this one. Out of 237 cities, Indy made number 81 for most conservative cities. THat's pretty high on the list. It's higher than Louisville, Nashville, and Augusta, Georgia. Indy is a conservative city. Period. Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Kansas City are nowhere near as conservative as Indy. All of these cities were a good deal more than halfway down the list. Indy was in nearly the first third. Now where is your source proving Indy is liberal? I'm waiting....
Are you serious? First of all you obviously have no sense of what is and isn't factual. You're really going off of an arbitrary "list" that has no kind of data, algorithm, or numbers from which to base their claims? LMAO!!! It may or may not be correct, but there's zero credibility to a list that provides no source for its data. I bet you frequent Wikipedia when trying to prove a point too, huh?

Meanwhile I provided actual numbers from the most recent election held in Indianapolis. Now you tell me which is more accurate between the two.

And second of all, I defy you to show me where I said Indy was liberal. Oh that's right: I never said that. I simply said that Indy can (and does) lean either direction when it comes to politics.

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-13-2007 at 10:59 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Quote:
from what I have seen, there are still many very white suburban areas in Columbus. It's all relative, though.
You are right, some of these very white suburbs and areas though, are also much more liberal than they were just 10 years ago. I was mentioning many middle class neighborhoods of Columbus which are more minority mixed, and Columbus does have its suburbs that are known for having a higher percentage of minorities. There are, also, some exurbs (now stretching outside of the main county around and in columbus Franklin) that have the more traditional white/republican voting pattern and mindset. But those areas are now much, much, much further out in the metro than they use to be. Just 20 years ago you had areas just a few miles from downtown that were white/republican strongholds.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 AM

285 posts, read 1,067,947 times
Depends. I hear it all the time about STL city. I live in an Illinois suburb and it is a rpetty decent racial mix. We sit 15 mins to downtown STL.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,874 times
Chicago is very segregated. Poles here, mexicans here, blacks here, etc. Each group having moblike mentalities when outsiders move into "the neighborhood". Than you got the economic segregation, yuppies in lincoln park, hipsters in whicker park, well to do's on the gold coast, firemen and policemen by midway, "undesirables herded into the west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City