Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 AM

13 posts, read 46,914 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is very segrgated go to the inner harbor fells Point,Little Italy,Canton,Fed Hill and it is all most all white.Most the inner harbor is white the second you enter Mount Vernon the city starts to become all black.Bearly no white kids attend baltimore public schools most white kids attend private school or go to school out of city.Another thing Baltimore was just sued back in 2003 because the city still practiced a type of forse segragtion.Where they would kick blacks out of white areas and even poor white to the slums of baltimore and bring in rich whites to the city.I would say Baltimore is not really a racial segrgation but more of a rich,poor segragation problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 06:30 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Chicago is very segregated. Poles here, mexicans here, blacks here, etc. Each group having moblike mentalities when outsiders move into "the neighborhood". Than you got the economic segregation, yuppies in lincoln park, hipsters in whicker park, well to do's on the gold coast, firemen and policemen by midway, "undesirables herded into the west
No worse than most places, but more people to deal with.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Bozeman is nearly 100% white. Not sure if that makes us segregated or not....
ehh that would make you have nazi-like characteristics.

I see alot of people suggesting Detroit as being inhertently segregated(which is true). But why so much emphasis on Detroit when on the flip side you have Seattle,Portland,SF,Salt lake with virtually no integration with african americans?

Segregation usually carries a negative connotation so if there are too few of a percentage of a certain ethnic race to cause segregation what does that say for those "said" cities?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:20 AM

266 posts, read 911,231 times
DC has largely black areas, but the "white" areas are pretty diverse. You will find people of all races, religions and nationalities living all over the area, even in the wealthiest suburbs. Considering it is so diverse (I'm guessing the most diverse population next to New York), people get along reasonably well, although there is a level of racial tension that is higher than you'll find in more homogenous cities.

In Albuquerque, where I live now, it seems that the black population is so small that they have to integrate. Here, you see a lot of black-white or black-Hispanic couples--in fact, I see those more than black-black couples. When you have large populations of African-Americans, it seems they like to stick together--live in the same neighborhoods, have their own churches and social clubs, form friendships with each other. I think it's largely self-segregating, although some might disagree with me.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
DC has largely black areas, but the "white" areas are pretty diverse. You will find people of all races, religions and nationalities living all over the area, even in the wealthiest suburbs.
I pretty much agree with this. I live in NW DC, which is obviously the most affluent part of the city. Even though the demographics there as compared to the rest of DC are MUCH more non-Hispanic White and upper/upper-middle class, it is true that it has more diversity than many other major cities' affluent neighborhoods. On the whole, the DC area is also one of the least segregated. That's not to say racism is inexistent, but it's much better than many other Northeastern metropolitan areas.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:47 PM

114 posts, read 510,601 times
In Austin, Texas pretty much all minorities and people with lower income live east of I-35

Old 12-25-2007, 05:34 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
I would have to go with Detroit then Chicago then Philadelphia.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrytown View Post
In Austin, Texas pretty much all minorities and people with lower income live east of I-35
That doesn't tell you much, they don't live their because they are discriminated against, they live their because they are new to the country and have no money. Now often time SEGREGATION IS CAUSED BY THIS DEVELOPMENT OF ETHNIC NEIGHBORHOOD AND IMMIGRANTS. but this can be found in any big city. Like here, all the Laotians and Khmers can be found in east Dallas a poor part of Dallas. Many of them don't speak English very well, and the sons and daughter often get sucked into the poverty cycle and may end up LOOKING (meaning they're just wannabes but i guess a few end up losers) like gang bangers and then a stereotype starts.
I would have to say Detroit and New Orleans. Its not alway white on 'X' it can be a blend of things. Like If someone said something about Chicago, Dallas, or LA (whatever) about making the city all white, you would hear this big uproar of protests, But Mr. Nagin (sp?) had no problem wishing his city no diversity and would like to see his 'under the sea' city full of 'Chocolate'. He obviously didn't think his speech out and made it clear that at least HE is a segregated person and wishes all brown people to leave for Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio as soon as their done mowing his lawn which we'll get done right after they're done building his mansion 'for the people of New Orleans'. The small towns in the deep south are probably segregated, and the Small towns on the border are also segregated a bit too.
But Big cities will tend to be less segregated...
sorry if i offend anyone from New Orleans, but I just don't like the guy... the city is ok by me.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:17 PM

194 posts, read 303,681 times
The Great Lakes Cities have ALWAYS been the most segregated.

Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Buffalo. Their demographics and housing patterns are almost exactly the same.
You can put St. Louis and Cincinnati in there, too.

But one thing that should be stressed is, a city that's less segregated ISN'T necessarily more tolerant!

For example, Boston and Miami aren't NEARLY as segregated as the above cities, but I thought the attitude and hostility among people was WAY more hostile than all the Great Lakes cities (except for Detroit metro).

They have a stigma of more hate crimes, too (especially Boston).

Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 AM

266 posts, read 911,231 times
People always think the South is so segregated and racist. Of course, the people complaining about this are often people living up north in predominantly white communities themselves. Many of these people are not living in cities or towns with large populations of African Americans--who are they to judge? The Southern towns do tend to be segregated (my parents' town in South Carolina is an example), but in the South, blacks and whites have been living side-by-side for a long time, and yes, there is some prejudice, but also a level of acceptance that is quite unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City