Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM

474 posts, read 839,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lorentzen View Post
Rank in order of quality of life, cultural life and access to outdoor activities:
1. Portland OR
2. Olympia WA
3. Boston MA
4. Seattle WA
5. Washington DC
6. San Francisco CA
7. Atlanta GA
8. Bismarck ND
9. Casper WY
What did you like about Olympia other than the outdoor activities? We're thinking of moving to Vancouver, WA but Olympia is also an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Atlanta
Winston-Salem
London
Miami
Greensboro

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
1. Park City, UT - best skiing in the U.S., wonderful old downtown/main street, Sundance Film Festival, great art scene, more affordable than Colorado
2. Ogden, UT - loved the downtown area, nice affordable old homes, close to mountains/skiing
3. Pearl Harbor/Hickam, HI - it was Hawaii! - favorite thing was kayaking with the sea turtles, we missed having four seasons though
4. Aiea, HI - same as above
5. Kaysville, UT - 30 minutes to Salt Lake City, close to mountains, best thing was the cherry orchards
6. Storrs, CT (4 months) - loved the scenery/trees, lived at a house with rows and rows of fresh berries in the yard
7. San Antonio, TX - really a great city with lots to do, but too hot to go outside for 5 months
8. Redlands, CA - 30 minutes to the mountains, an hour to the beach, lived next to orange orchards - to this day my favorite smell is orange blossoms, didn't like the smog and traffic
9. Oklahoma City, OK - cheap city to live in, more to do than you'd think, never saw a tornado the 8 years I was there even though I tried to see one
10. Biloxi, MS (4 months) - loved living on the gulf and close to New Orleans, seafood was great
11. Lakeside, TX - outside of Fort Worth, but I don't really like Texas even though I was born and raised
12. Del City, OK - close to Oklahoma City, kind of a run down area
13. Abilene, TX - nice place to raise a family, quiet, no traffic
14. Moore, OK - in between Oklahoma City and Norman, very blah town, bedroom community
15. Wichita Falls, TX (4 months) - hot, not much to do
16. Azle, TX - see Lakeside

Also lived in Russelsheim, Germany.
Army/Navy "brat"? I use the term "brat" because one of my buddies called himself an "Army Brat" who moved from fort to fort.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
I feel like we already had a thread like this a few months ago.......Oh well, here's mine (again):

1. Minneapolis (born and raised, has the combination of big city amenities and smaller town values. Is beautiful no matter the season and has LOTS of water! People are more reserved and sometimes "fake nice", but now that I've traveled some and lived in enough places, I know that for me a false bravado is so much better than wearing your nasty emotions on your sleeves at all times! People here care about.....life, and I like that in a city!)
2. Chicago (home away from home and where half of my family still lives. Food and city are great and fun, but crime/rudeness/attitude are still a problem for me. Not as scenic as Minneapolis, except for downtown. I'll never see the city as most non-locals do -- as a bright shiny metropolis with lots of money and buildings -- but rather, as my blue-collar family does and the amazing neighborhoods and people with down-to-Earth values that make making friends/acquaintences so easy)
3. Tie: Cleveland/St. Louis (I LOVED St. Louis as a child but it's been too long since I've last been there and I've heard from people who lived there and moved to Minneapolis that St. Louis isn't as fun when you are an adult. Cleveland has the same negative attributes as Chicago, but on a more extensive scale -- I simply cannot stand SOME of the negative attitudes people throw around on a daily basis! But Cleveland is a fun place with amenities galore and for a fraction of the cost you'd pay almost anywhere else. Climate is milder, but also cloudier and wetter -- both aren't my faves)
4. Columbus (Lived there for college and 1 extra year. Met my wife there and met at least 2 best friends that will always be a part of my life. The city is doing very well in a struggling region and reminded me more of Minneapolis than Cleveland, but the Southern vibe I got while being there really made me feel out of place most of the time and I never felt like it was a place that I could honestly call my home. I didn't love the weather either, as summers were muggy and a bit too warm and winters were damp and snowless 95% of the time, which really defeats the purpose of winter -- outdoor activities)

Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 AM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Army/Navy "brat"? I use the term "brat" because one of my buddies called himself an "Army Brat" who moved from fort to fort.
Close - I'm retired from the Air Force. I would have never chosen to live in most of those places, except for Hawaii and Park City.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
1. Charlotte, NC (2010 - Present)
2. Columbia, SC (1986 - 2009) - Hometown. I'm always there, it's only an hour away.
3. Savannah, GA (2009 -2010)
4. Rock Hill, SC (2004-2005) - College.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
1. Charlotte, NC (2010 - Present)
2. Columbia, SC (1986 - 2009) - Hometown. I'm always there, it's only an hour away.
3. Savannah, GA (2009 -2010)
4. Rock Hill, SC (2004-2005) - College.
How in the heck do you get from Charlotte to Columbia in an hour????

Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
1. Charlotte, NC (2009-2012) Awesome city with awesome people and tons to do; Yes it really does live up to its hype - just NEVER move there without a secured job
2. Oklahoma City (2012-Present) Just moved here
3. Warrensburg, MO (1992-1998) The town itself is very blah, but the friends I had when I lived there were awesome and had some of the most fun of my life
4. Little Rock, AR (2008-2009) Was livable but not much to do other than outdoor recreation and it was difficult to make friends there; VERY pretty city though and I do miss that about it
5. Fort Smith, AR (2002-2008) Small, backwards community with nothing to do and declining economy; Not near as green and pretty as Little Rock and its full of warehouses and factories - basically my hometown since my dad settled there when he retired
6. Moore, OK (1998-2002) Nice suburb of OKC but my personal life sucked during that time so I don't have very fond memories of it

Unable to rank: Los Angeles, CA (1988-1992) I have a very high esteem for LA and idealistically I perceive it as one of the greatest places on the planet, but was too young at that time to have a realistic perspective and haven't been back since. The only things I remember is the beach, Disneyland, and the freeways. I would love to go back as an adult and really experience it.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
How in the heck do you get from Charlotte to Columbia in an hour????
70 Miles (80 miles per hour) - To Killian Road exit. in northeast columbia. Not downtown columbia from the nc border.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Philly - It is and always will be home for me even if not living there
NYC - What else is there to say, it is the mecca of urbanity in the US
SF - Great city in a fabulous location
State College, PA - What a great college town, some of my fondest memories
DC - Fun place and great city

Enjoyed my time in all and would really have no issue in living in any again save State College as its a little too isolated for me long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City