Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Biracial or multiracial.

I just don't believe biracial is the same thing as black.
Race is a social construct first and foremost.

If biracial/multiracial folks identify first and foremost with Black culture and consider themselves Black, I have no problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Race is a social construct first and foremost.

If biracial/multiracial folks identify first and foremost with Black culture and consider themselves Black, I have no problem with that.
Well yeah because that white folks logic has become instilled in black culture. There was no such thing as biracial back in the day because white people didn't want their race being "infested" with minorities so you were labeled black and enslaved.

I don't live by the rules and regulations of my ancestors slave masters.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Well yeah because that white folks logic has become instilled in black culture. There was no such thing as biracial back in the day because white people didn't want their race being "infested" with minorities so you were labeled black and enslaved.

I don't live by the rules and regulations of my ancestors slave masters.
Don't sound bitter. Live by the rules you wish, but why does it matter if someone identifies as bi-racial or multi-racial? There is no such thing as contaminating a race. Whether its a black or white race.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Don't sound bitter. Live by the rules you wish, but why does it matter if someone identifies as bi-racial or multi-racial? There is no such thing as contaminating a race. Whether its a black or white race.
Bitter??? Well excuse me for being upset at the fact that my ancestors were stripped of their pride and identity and forced to slavery.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Bitter??? Well excuse me for being upset at the fact that my ancestors were stripped of their pride and identity and forced to slavery.
So you still hold resentment for something that happened 150+ years ago?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Ok, but no one living did that to your ancestors. You can't be mad at anyone still walking the earth for what happened. What happened to African-Americans and Native Americans at the hands of the people of their day was awful, but who can you really be mad at thats still around to care?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Oh, goodness.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Slavery has been been abolished, but the wounds still exist. I really wasn't even trying to get a topic on slavery going. I just wanted to make a correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, but no one living did that to your ancestors. You can't be mad at anyone still walking the earth for what happened. What happened to African-Americans and Native Americans at the hands of the people of their day was awful, but who can you really be mad at thats still around to care?
No, but I don't like how certain white supremacist ideology still exist. That's what I'm speaking out against. My post was never meant to be an attack or disrespect toward the modern day white. I was simply stating that biracial [black/white] being labeled black is old southern talk.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
People basically label themselves for the Census, no one is telling you "you're bi-racial so you're labeled as black", people self-report whatever race/ethnicity they identify with...

Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why is the fact that he mentions his opinion on the matter of historical racial categorizing that affects our society today, somehow means he is" bitter" or "holds some resentment".

More so why is it a problem that one cannot or should not hold some resentment towards those who act like racial impropriety does not still exist?

Funny how those who are never affected somehow feel qualified to speak on matters that they have absolutely no idea how it affects those on the end of such racial animosty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City