Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Stupid question, I'm sure, but is "SeaTac" a city or are you referring to the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area?
There's a town called Seatac, Washington in the Seattle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I said cities. One example is SeaTac, WA. Since the study went from 1980 to 2010 that means that the newest census data couldn't be used. As of the 2000 census SeaTac was 62.86% White. It was given a 90.7 diversity rating by the study and was the 15th ranked city.

Anyway, there is at least one MSA that is over 50% White. The Fayetteville, NC metro is 54.09% White. It was given a 75.4 diversity rating and is ranked and is the 15th ranked metro.
The study is using 2010 census data for the CURRENT diversity ranking. It wouldn't make sense to compile a rating based on a 30 year study since people move from one place to the other.

See where it says 2010? Not 1980-2010?

And regarding Fayetteville, I'll do the math for you using a simple probability formula which measures the chance that two members within a whole will be of different groups rather than entropy (index = 1 - [(sum of the square of the group proportion) + (sum of the square of the group proportion) + ....]) :

American FactFinder - Results

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf (Page 21)

46.3% Non-Hispanic White (before critiquing the results, please learn how to read the raw data first)
35.3% Non-Hispanic Black
9.8% Hispanic
2.0% Asian

1 - [(.463*.463) + (.353*.353) + (.098*.098) + (.02*.02)]
1- [ (.214639) + (.124609) + (.009604) + (.004)]
1 - .35282
E = .64718 = .65

In Fayetteville, NC, there is a 65% chance that two people at random will be of different ethnicities.

Using the entropy logorithm, there is a 75% chance that a GROUP of 100 random people will contain people of at least 2 or more races. From the study itself

Quote:
This index gauges how uniformly members of a population are spread.
An E value of 0 signifies complete homogeneity or no diversity; all population members belong to a
single racial-ethnic group. An E of 100 indicates maximum heterogeneity: all groups represent equal
proportions of the population.
However, the pitfall, as the study noted, is that the composition of a place could be totally different but have different E scores

Quote:
Though useful, the entropy index neglects a community’s racial-ethnic structure, i.e., the specific
groups present. Taking structure into account becomes important when one realizes that, based on the
evenness criterion alone, a hypothetical place with equal numbers (thirds) of white, Asian, and Hispanic
residents would be considered identical to a place where Hispanics, blacks, and Native Americans each
constitute a third of the population. In short, the two places would have the same E scores despite very
different compositions. To overcome this limitation, we supplement E with pie charts, bar graphs, and a
‘majority rule’ typology (described in a later section) for summarizing the group percentages that underlie
its values.
Both from page 4 of the above link.

If a place was 50/50 of White and Black, for example, obviously the probability chance index will be at .5 or 50% that two individuals will be of different ethnicities, and a 50% chance that a group of 100 people within that group will contain people of two or more races.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
That's not what I was talking about. However it seems that the 2010 census data was used but my point still stands.
How so? Which city gets a diversity ranking of over 90 while having over 50% of the population being one race.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
The study is using 2010 census data for the CURRENT diversity ranking. It wouldn't make sense to compile a rating based on a 30 year study since people move from one place to the other.

See where it says 2010? Not 1980-2010?

And regarding Fayetteville, I'll do the math for you using a simple probability formula which measures the chance that two members within a whole will be of different groups rather than entropy (index = 1 - [(sum of the square of the group proportion) + (sum of the square of the group proportion) + ....]) :

American FactFinder - Results

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf (Page 21)

46.3% Non-Hispanic White (before critiquing the results, please learn how to read the raw data first)
35.3% Non-Hispanic Black
9.8% Hispanic
2.0% Asian

1 - [(.463*.463) + (.353*.353) + (.098*.098) + (.02*.02)]
1- [ (.214639) + (.124609) + (.009604) + (.004)]
1 - .35282
E = .64718 = .65

In Fayetteville, NC, there is a 65% chance that two people at random will be of different ethnicities.

Using the entropy logorithm, there is a 75% chance that a GROUP of 100 random people will contain people of at least 2 or more races. From the study itself

However, the pitfall, as the study noted, is that the composition of a place could be totally different but have different E scores

Both from page 4 of the above link.

If a place was 50/50 of White and Black, for example, obviously the probability chance index will be at .5 or 50% that two individuals will be of different ethnicities, and a 50% chance that a group of 100 people within that group will contain people of two or more races.
I know that data from 2010 was used, but under the Summary in the first paragraph it says 1980-2010

My point was just that they don't seem to have a reliable ranking system. It seems that you at least partially agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How so? Which city gets a diversity ranking of over 90 while having over 50% of the population being one race.
I have gone over this. Besides, White ≠ non-Hispanic White.

I am not saying that these cities are not diverse, but just that they don't deserve the score given.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have gone over this. Besides, White ≠ non-Hispanic White.

I am not saying that these cities are not diverse, but just that they don't deserve the score given.
No you haven't really at all. You said you don't think cities with over 50% of one race should be given a score of 90 or higher. That was your original statememt and as far as I can tell none have been given a score that high.

Yeah I realize white's can include Hispanics as well but what difference does that make here?

Even if Fayettville, NC is over 50% white and is ranked 15th, compared to other metro areas it is relatively diverse. And even if you don't care for this ranking what other studies offer something better?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No you haven't really at all. You said you don't think cities with over 50% of one race should be given a score of 90 or higher. That was your original statememt and as far as I can tell none have been given a score that high.

Yeah I realize white's can include Hispanics as well but what difference does that make here?

Even if Fayettville, NC is over 50% white and is ranked 15th, compared to other metro areas it is relatively diverse. And even if you don't care for this ranking what other studies offer something better?
Okay, well I'm done with you both. You both somehow take personal offense to everything and then get absurd and attack whatever poster you think slighted you. This isn't a new thing, it's not worth it.

Last edited by plates; 09-17-2012 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, well I'm done with you both. You both somehow take personal offense to everything and then get absurd and attack whatever poster you think slighted you. It's not worth it.
Umm no. I didn't take any offense or think you slighted me at all. I was just trying to understand what you were talking about. I think you made a claim that was incorrect and when that was pointed out you couldn't admit, except for the census part, you may have been wrong and misread the data or something then tried to save face.

Speaking of taking things personal...

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 82,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
well in reality i dont think most people care about diversity. i find it strange that some people wake up worrying every second about who is in their neighborhood.

truth of the matter is most people have their ways of life and as long as their doing it they could care less if diversity is involved or not.

for example i like to travel, meet women, and do some partying and love going to events, and shopping. Diversity doesn't really effect me just as long as im doing the stuff i like.
.........um I think if you are non-White (and by White I mean someone who appears to be roughly in the realm of Caucasian features) and considering a move (and especially if you have children) then the diversity factor matters a lot because it may give some indication of what people are used to and the degree of acceptance you may encounter. If you have brown kids going into an all white school district, do you really want them to be the guinea pigs to determine how tolerant/accepting/welcoming other kids and their families will be? And despite what anyone may say, it is human nature to distinguish people based on physical differences, of all kinds. Including skin color. It is what we do with it from there that distinguishes us either as ignorant or intelligent, ugly or decent human beings.

I'm thinking if someone has the luxury of choosing not to worry about diversity, then they probably look passably Caucasian.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM

41 posts, read 82,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Why is diversity always a regarded as a good thing? To be honest I feel like the word "diversity" has just recently came into modern dialogue to make white people feel better about having mixed neighbors. It seems more progressive to just disregard differences and move beyond them.
I would argue its more progressive to in fact REGARD differences, and then move beyond them. If everyone (regardless of appearance, background, etc.) can only be acceptable by being in every way "White" i.e. dominant society mainstream culture aside from their skin color, then people aren't being very accepting. Historically in this country that has been the requirement for every ethnic group in turn (and notably this includes all of the eastern european groups down to German and Irish) There should be room in our social circles for more than that. I mean, unless everyone is happy just eating McDonalds and shopping at Walmart or J. Crew and knowing only English. How boring.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 AM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWYmama View Post
I would argue its more progressive to in fact REGARD differences, and then move beyond them. If everyone (regardless of appearance, background, etc.) can only be acceptable by being in every way "White" i.e. dominant society mainstream culture aside from their skin color, then people aren't being very accepting. Historically in this country that has been the requirement for every ethnic group in turn (and notably this includes all of the eastern european groups down to German and Irish) There should be room in our social circles for more than that. I mean, unless everyone is happy just eating McDonalds and shopping at Walmart or J. Crew and knowing only English. How boring.
I don't really see anything wrong with that and I myself am of a foreign origin that speaks a different language. I think its perfectly fine to know just the most commonly accepted language. I know it gives the native English speaking countries an extra advantage over others but hey that's just how it works.

Don't get me wrong though I am by no means one those "ENGLISH IS THE #1 LANGUAGE IN THA WORLD!" type. If the most common accepted language was let's say Russian instead I would have no problem with it. Nobody should be burdened to learn a language they don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City