Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

The Study:
http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

Metropolitan Areas

Places

12 of the 25 most diverse cities are in Northern CA
1 Suisun City, CA
2 Vallejo, CA
3 Rodeo, CA
4 Florin, CA
5 Oakland, CA
8 Fairview, CA
9 Fairfield, CA
13 Sacramento, CA
18 Pinole, CA
21 Fruitridge-Pocket, CA
22 San Leandro, CA
25 Elk Grove, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Good stuff.

It hints that ATL is more diverse than people give it credit for. Its not in the top ten but things are changing and it definitely the white and black metro people sometimes make it seem

Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Good stuff 18Montclair!

Of course, the critics of the methodology will come out WITHOUT providing an alternative methodology, but interesting nonetheless. I think unlike the analysis I usually do on this topic, they analyzed 9 groups and took into account mixed race people.

At the end of the day, what it shows is that America as a whole is becoming more diverse. Not a good thing, not a bad thing, but is what it is.

Before someone says "diversity" = "non-white", the least diverse place in America that they measured is Muniz, TX, which is 99.01% Hispanic. Kind of defeats that theory, no?

As if equations can differentiate between the two....

Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Excellent list. Thanks Montclair!

Can't help but notice there's a lot of military towns on the most diverse list. Lawton, Killeen, and Fayetteville are all on there.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
Interesting. Cali dominates the most diverse lists, and Texas (and to an extent, Pennsylvania) dominates the least diverse lists. Good to know.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
Why is diversity always a regarded as a good thing? To be honest I feel like the word "diversity" has just recently came into modern dialogue to make white people feel better about having mixed neighbors. It seems more progressive to just disregard differences and move beyond them.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:00 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Why is diversity always a regarded as a good thing? To be honest I feel like the word "diversity" has just recently came into modern dialogue to make white people feel better about having mixed neighbors. It seems more progressive to just disregard differences and move beyond them.
well in reality i dont think most people care about diversity. i find it strange that some people wake up worrying every second about who is in their neighborhood.

truth of the matter is most people have their ways of life and as long as their doing it they could care less if diversity is involved or not.

for example i like to travel, meet women, and do some partying and love going to events, and shopping. Diversity doesn't really effect me just as long as im doing the stuff i like.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Good stuff.

It hints that ATL is more diverse than people give it credit for. Its not in the top ten but things are changing and it definitely the white and black metro people sometimes make it seem
Yeah 10% of Atlanta is Latino and growing people tend to forget that. And there's a large Asian community.

Atlanta's Korean Suburbs

Buford Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Not really because if some one is ignorant of diversity they still could be racist. I notice a lot the far right tend to want there culture to dominate over minorities because they don't want to learn cross cultural skills. And as some posted diversity doesn't mean less white, if a place was 99% black or Latino it wouldn't be diverse ether. I also agree with nycjowww no one actually sit around counting different race groups in there neighborhoods, but it's a good trait to know how transcend different cultures.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 AM

432 posts, read 610,106 times
Good for you, no one gives a f*ck

Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City