U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What state's cities do you think is stronger? (Minus ATL)
Georgia 45 60.00%
South Carolina 30 40.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,357 posts, read 967,845 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know you have nothing to support this, but even so I'll bite: How so?
First, South Carolina has one Fortune 500 Company and Georgia (without Atlanta) has 5.

Second, population. SC's largest city is Columbia, Georgia's without Atlanta is Augusta. The top 10 cities in GA are still going to surpass SC's cities population in the order they rank.

Georgia is more developed than SC even without Atlanta. It's like comparing South Carolina to North Carolina.

So, therefore, GA would still be the larger, more progressive, stronger state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Georgia
2,221 posts, read 1,224,545 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
First, South Carolina has one Fortune 500 Company and Georgia (without Atlanta) has 5.

Second, population. SC's largest city is Columbia, Georgia's without Atlanta is Augusta. The top 10 cities in GA are still going to surpass SC's cities population in the order they rank.

Georgia is more developed than SC even without Atlanta. It's like comparing South Carolina to North Carolina.

So, therefore, GA would still be the larger, more progressive, stronger state.
I agree Columbus Fortune 500 companies,the Savannah port and Augusta medical district >>>>>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:08 PM
 
9,853 posts, read 5,412,100 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
First, South Carolina has one Fortune 500 Company and Georgia (without Atlanta) has 5.
I don't know what your source is, but it's definitely wrong. There are only two F500 companies in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta--Aflac in Columbus and Mohawk Industries in Calhoun.

Quote:
Second, population. SC's largest city is Columbia, Georgia's without Atlanta is Augusta. The top 10 cities in GA are still going to surpass SC's cities population in the order they rank.
You know city populations are pretty irrelevant in the comparative sense, right? Do you also go around saying that Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Boston? The fact of the matter is that metro Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are all larger than metro Augusta, Savannah, and Columbus. In raw numbers, they are all growing faster. Columbia, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach are all growing faster than the fastest-growing metro in GA outside Atlanta (Savannah).

Quote:
Georgia is more developed than SC even without Atlanta. It's like comparing South Carolina to North Carolina.
How so? What examples do you have here? Because SC overall has a more even distribution of its metros throughout the state, the development is also more evenly spread throughout. The zoo is in Columbia, the aquarium is in Charleston (and another in Myrtle Beach), the amusement park is on the York/Mecklenburg border, etc. In Georgia, all of these amenities are in Atlanta.

Quote:
So, therefore, GA would still be the larger, more progressive, stronger state.
Sorry, but inaccurate facts haven't proved your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,357 posts, read 967,845 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know what your source is, but it's definitely wrong. There are only two F500 companies in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta--Aflac in Columbus and Mohawk Industries in Calhoun.
Obviously, I was not talking about metro Atlanta, I was talking about Atlanta, hence "without Atlanta" in parenthesis.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You know city populations are pretty irrelevant in the comparative sense, right? Do you also go around saying that Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Boston? The fact of the matter is that metro Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are all larger than metro Augusta, Savannah, and Columbus. In raw numbers, they are all growing faster. Columbia, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach are all growing faster than the fastest-growing metro in GA outside Atlanta (Savannah).
Regardless of which is growing faster, the population now is what matters. City-proper, not metro. So I guess you're basically saying IYO, South Carolina's population is going to pass Georgia's?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? What examples do you have here? Because SC overall has a more even distribution of its metros throughout the state, the development is also more evenly spread throughout. The zoo is in Columbia, the aquarium is in Charleston (and another in Myrtle Beach), the amusement park is on the York/Mecklenburg border, etc. In Georgia, all of these amenities are in Atlanta.
That's pretty obvious as well. Which is why I say city-proper matters more than metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
 
9,853 posts, read 5,412,100 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Even the RiverCenter and Springer?
Just your run-of-the-mill performing arts center and opera house. Nothing really unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
 
9,853 posts, read 5,412,100 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Obviously, I was not talking about metro Atlanta, I was talking about Atlanta, hence "without Atlanta" in parenthesis.





Regardless of which is growing faster, the population now is what matters. City-proper, not metro. So I guess you're basically saying IYO, South Carolina's population is going to pass Georgia's?




That's pretty obvious as well. Which is why I say city-proper matters more than metro.
This is stupid. City limits are quite arbitrary and the rules governing growth, annexation, etc. differ from state to state which is why everybody here knows that comparing metros is more fair--except you of course. SC in particular has rather restrictive annexation laws, while Georgia's aren't as restrictive. Plus Augusta and Columbus are consolidated with their counties, something that's practically impossible to do in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,357 posts, read 967,845 times
Reputation: 548
Because comparing Atlanta's 32 metros to Charlotte's 16 is completely fair. No. But sorry, I'll stay on topic.

Imagining Georgia without Atlanta is like New York without NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Georgia
2,221 posts, read 1,224,545 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Just your run-of-the-mill performing arts center and opera house. Nothing really unique.
Funny! There is NOTHING ELSE like the RiverCenter of performing arts in the state of Georgia! The Columbus museum is the largest art and history museum in the state. That's all of Macon's museums in a nutshell.

The history of the Springer speaks out loud!

Research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM
 
9,853 posts, read 5,412,100 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Because comparing Atlanta's 32 metros to Charlotte's 16 is completely fair. No.
Huh? What in the world are you talking about? "Atlanta's 32 metros"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM
 
9,853 posts, read 5,412,100 times
Reputation: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Funny! There is NOTHING like the RiverCenter of performing arts in Georgia! The Columbus museum is the largest art and history museum in the state. That's all of Macon museums in a nutshell.

The history of the Springer speaks out loud!

Research!
We're not comparing Columbus to other Georgia cities, but to SC's cities, and in SC, these facilities are all over the state; they aren't anything extraordinarily special.

Newberry Opera House (constructed 1881)



Abbeville Opera House (constructed 1908)



Sumter Opera House (constructed 1895)



Marion Old Town Hall & Opera House (constructed 1892)




Peace Center for the Performing Arts, Greenville



Koger Center, Columbia



North Charleston Performing Arts Center

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top