U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 AM

5,988 posts, read 9,436,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
^I don't think Denver or Colorado City are hilly by any means. Denver is flat as a pancake in most of the city. Some of the western portion has small hills. Golden is more hilly.

Just because there are mountains behind the city does not make the city "hilly".

Pittsburgh and San Fran are the most hilly. These cities people live on the hills. It is much more different than people living on flat land with mountains in the background.

Nice picture you took btw.
So if a city is situated next to hills or mountains, those places can't be in the conversation? This thread didn't specifically say it had to be in city limits.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,191,466 times
San Fran, Pitt

Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM

434 posts, read 605,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
So if a city is situated next to hills or mountains, those places can't be in the conversation? This thread didn't specifically say it had to be in city limits.
In my opinion a "hilly city" is a city built on hills and not located outside of them.

If you go to Pittsburgh and San Fran you will understand how the hills literally developed the city, or the city developed around the hills. Pittsburgh is defined by it's hills. The hills created barriers between neighborhoods changing the way it was developed.

This is not the case in Denver. It is flat and on a grid. There is a major difference than a city built on hills than a city built close to mountains yet flat.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM

5,988 posts, read 9,436,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
In my opinion a "hilly city" is a city built on hills and not located outside of them.

If you go to Pittsburgh and San Fran you will understand how the hills literally developed the city, or the city developed around the hills. Pittsburgh is defined by it's hills. The hills created barriers between neighborhoods changing the way it was developed.

This is not the case in Denver. It is flat and on a grid. There is a major difference than a city built on hills than a city built close to mountains yet flat.
I didn't bring up Denver as being a hilly city, because it isn't, but I don't understand why it can't be mentioned as having the best hills. The metro is touching the mountains, and there is some nice hilly area around the southern part of the city.

The city of Denver itself is pretty flat, but it isn't hard to find hills in the metro. Surely not on the level of cities like Pittsburgh or San Francisco, but saying Denver is flat as a pancake is misleading.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,950,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I didn't bring up Denver as being a hilly city, because it isn't, but I don't understand why it can't be mentioned as having the best hills. The metro is touching the mountains, and there is some nice hilly area around the southern part of the city.

The city of Denver itself is pretty flat, but it isn't hard to find hills in the metro. Surely not on the level of cities like Pittsburgh or San Francisco, but saying Denver is flat as a pancake is misleading.
Well Denver proper yes it's is....,

When you say "Denver" people think city proper. If you want to include the entire metro then you have to be specific...l

Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 AM

861 posts, read 1,162,478 times
Bend, Oregon.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM

31,370 posts, read 30,129,179 times
Anyone have pictures of Cincinnati's hillside neighborhoods?

Not US, but Quebec City has some amazing hillside development.

Also, how's Asheville and Branson? I suspect there are probably a lot of towns perched in the Ozark and Appalachians that are somewhat hilly.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,420,928 times
I took some pictures last winter that show off Duluth's hills:

du201259 by afsmps, on Flickr

du201257 by afsmps, on Flickr

du201212 by afsmps, on Flickr

Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM

22,318 posts, read 23,532,177 times
This thread ought to be flooded with aerial pics of San Francisco neighborhoods. Get real, people.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM

162 posts, read 274,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I took some pictures last winter that show off Duluth's hills:

du201259 by afsmps, on Flickr

du201257 by afsmps, on Flickr

du201212 by afsmps, on Flickr
Looks very depressing in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City