U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Phoenix (metro 4.5 million) 39 46.99%
San Diego (metro 3.0 million) 0 0%
Jacksonville (metro 1.3 million) 4 4.82%
Houston (metro 6 million) 18 21.69%
Detroit (metro 5.4 million) 7 8.43%
Miami (5.7 million) 7 8.43%
Orlando (2.0 million) 2 2.41%
Columbus (2.0 million) 1 1.20%
Cleveland (2.2 million) 1 1.20%
Charlotte (1.8 million) 2 2.41%
Tampa (1.9 million) 2 2.41%
Salt Lake City (1.3 million) 0 0%
Sacramento (2.4 million) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
As we were just discussing previous to this post, every city has dead zones in its downtown...and not all of downtown Atlanta shuts down at night. Georgia State campus area stays fairly busy, as does the Hotel District, Centennial Park, and Castleberry Hill. Some areas are obviously dead at night, but it's not the entire downtown.
Well sure, Georgia State offers many nighttime programs and the hotels house all the conventioneers. However, what I remember is that Peachtree Center connects an area of several blocks of major hotels and shopping through enclosed, above street-level passageways. This way, hotel folks can avoid street-level. Let's be real. While I like Atlanta very much, going too many blocks in the wrong direction at night is not advisable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 PM

981 posts, read 2,210,871 times
Well I live in Phoenix and I certainly have to agree. I drove through downtown earlier and it was very unexciting. Just a handful of people walking around. The local Walmart had more people walking around than downtown Phoenix.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Washington DC and Detroit.

The DC metro area has a population of over 5 million and around 600,000 live in the District. In fact Tysons Corner VA has more office space than DC itself and actually has more office space than downtown Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Many companies and employers are located in the Virginia and Maryland suburbs. Even among the federal agencies, the Pentagon, CIA, NIH, are located in the suburbs.

Everyone I know from the Detroit area tells me they never go downtown and its as if downtown is never there, and all of their work and entertainment remains in the suburbs. They think of Detroit as a wasteland that has nothing there except for drugs and gangs.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Washington DC and Detroit.

The DC metro area has a population of over 5 million and around 600,000 live in the District. In fact Tysons Corner VA has more office space than DC itself and actually has more office space than downtown Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Many companies and employers are located in the Virginia and Maryland suburbs. Even among the federal agencies, the Pentagon, CIA, NIH, are located in the suburbs.

Everyone I know from the Detroit area tells me they never go downtown and its as if downtown is never there, and all of their work and entertainment remains in the suburbs. They think of Detroit as a wasteland that has nothing there except for drugs and gangs.
DC's downtown is pretty big and seemed decently busy. Definitely beats Houston which has a similar metro.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 AM

185 posts, read 357,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Well I live in Phoenix and I certainly have to agree. I drove through downtown earlier and it was very unexciting. Just a handful of people walking around. The local Walmart had more people walking around than downtown Phoenix.
Right? We just need to break our skyline record that we've had for 40 years now and make it to atleast 500ft. Other than that I really like the new-ish Cityscape, Urban Outfitters and Chipotle!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I would say there are a few...

Phoenix- obvious

Houston- this is due to multiple business districts and "Downtown" being mostly office buildings. It is more vibrant in other areas though

Miami- mostly empty condo buildings

Charlotte- mostly parking lots

Don't really know enough about the others to comment.
Same-thing can be said for Miami right below, instead of "mostly empty condos".

Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM

6,612 posts, read 6,535,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well sure, Georgia State offers many nighttime programs and the hotels house all the conventioneers. However, what I remember is that Peachtree Center connects an area of several blocks of major hotels and shopping through enclosed, above street-level passageways. This way, hotel folks can avoid street-level. Let's be real. While I like Atlanta very much, going too many blocks in the wrong direction at night is not advisable.
Yeah, that's not true in every city in the U.S. is it?

The skyways mostly connect the hotels to the wholesale mart buildings and the Peachtree Center office buildings, so they are not an alternative to the outdoor sidewalks most of the time. GSU also has a much larger on-campus student population than in the past, so the pedestrian traffic isn't only about nighttime classes. With a population of nearly 30,000, downtown Atlanta obviously has some relatively busy areas at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or