Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM

654 posts, read 1,901,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Well said, I would consider both to be urban sprawls. SLC metro = 1.2M people but city proper is only 200k while Denver is 2.7M and 600k city proper. Downtown Denver is slightly bigger but with a much more apparent nightlife.
Your numbers are a tad deceptive. First off, metro is a much better measure of the size of a city. Measuring the city proper could give you misrepresentations like Denver is larger than Atlanta (pop 420,003 2010 census).

Moving on to metro numbers, the US census decided to break apart the former SLC-Ogden area. Those counties would be totaling much more than your 1.2 million.

SL county 1,029,655
Davis 306,476
Weber 231,236
Summit 36,324
Tooele 58,218

Total of 1,661,909.

Then there is also Utah county. Salt Lake City to Provo isn't far. When I lived out there, I knew lots of people who lived in one area and commuted to the other. Utah county has another 516,564, giving the Wasatch Front area 2,178,473. Yes, smaller than Denver. No one is arguing that. But there are many more people in the area than the 1.2 million figure. It is a large area geographically, although no larger than greater Denver, but people are commuting all around the area for work and recreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM

654 posts, read 1,901,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgirl30 View Post
Hi,

I have never been to Denver, only Telluride but I have been to SLC and Park City. I would like to hear the pros and cons of each if possible.

From what I can gather Denver seems better for me (31 y/o female who has lived in NYC and Cape Town) because it's a bigger city, has more of a vibe (really tried to find it in SLC but it I felt like everyone had skipped town), better nightlife and for the practical reason of more direct and cheaper flights. I know it is further from the mountains but honestly it's not like I would be skiing every weekend!

I am exploring an opportunity in Denver now because I was made an offer in SLC, and the wages are really low and also for the reasons stated above. Also even thought the Broncos are really sucking right now, at least there is football team!

Also, Which city has a better tech industry, in particular the EFT area?

Thank you!
I would advise you to go visit Denver before moving or even before turning down this job offer in SLC. Both areas are great places to live. If you have a job offer, I'd jump all over it. You can always work on a job offer in Denver later to relocate.

If by nightlife you mean bar scene, then you'll probably find SLC disappointing. There are bars there but that is not the mindset of the people there.

It doesn't seem that you are that confused over this. You appear to have your mind made up already that Denver is a better place for you, even though you've never been. Please visit Denver before turning down that job offer in SL.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM

101 posts, read 174,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I would advise you to go visit Denver before moving or even before turning down this job offer in SLC. Both areas are great places to live. If you have a job offer, I'd jump all over it. You can always work on a job offer in Denver later to relocate.

If by nightlife you mean bar scene, then you'll probably find SLC disappointing. There are bars there but that is not the mindset of the people there.

It doesn't seem that you are that confused over this. You appear to have your mind made up already that Denver is a better place for you, even though you've never been. Please visit Denver before turning down that job offer in SL.
I wouldn't turn the offer down. I think it's too late to make a change and like someone else said I can always start up in SLC and go visit Denver and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City