U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,598 posts, read 53,166,657 times
Reputation: 14516

Advertisements

Please doublecheck your CSA/MSA
The Richest People in America - Forbes


These are just the CSAs/MSAs I did rather quickly.

CSAs and uncombined MSAs by the Number of Residents in the
Forbes 400 Richest Americans Ranking, 2012
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 79
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 48
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 34
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 25
Dallas-Ft Worth 23
Washingto-Baltimore-Northern VA 14
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City 13
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 12
Boston-Worcester-Manchester 7
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia 7
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville 6
Denver-Aurora-Boulder 6
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale 5
Detroit-Warren-Flint 4
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud 4
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,155,614 times
Reputation: 2355
You do know that CSA's don't exist in the real world, right? They are arbitrary lines on a map that is designed to help us feel better about where we live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City
717 posts, read 641,774 times
Reputation: 736
Oklahoma City - 3
Tulsa - 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,043,850 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
You do know that CSA's don't exist in the real world, right? They are arbitrary lines on a map that is designed to help us feel better about where we live.
City limits are even more arbitrary FWIW. At least there is a formula for CSA's. What hinders CSA statistics are arbitrary political lines, in this case county lines, which skew CSA's slightly especially in population per square mile statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,177 posts, read 21,784,368 times
Reputation: 10258
Miami/South Florida is kind of a surprising to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,043,850 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Miami/South Florida is kind of a surprising to me
It did for me too until I connected the dots: beaches, warm weather, no income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,155,614 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
City limits are even more arbitrary FWIW. At least there is a formula for CSA's. What hinders CSA statistics are arbitrary political lines, in this case county lines, which skew CSA's slightly especially in population per square mile statistics.
Not according to the loud minority on this forum who really cares about it.

I think they have a real world use because, at least out west, that's really how people view where they live, especially for SF Bay Area and LA.

I'd actually rather have this be put into a question in the census "what would you call the general region you live" or something and have choices for them. Have it be self identified data instead of some arbitrary formula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,279,885 times
Reputation: 7567
Congrats to San Jose and its burbs for having the second largest number of uber rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I'd actually rather have this be put into a question in the census "what would you call the general region you live" or something and have choices for them. Have it be self identified data instead of some arbitrary formula.
I agree. I don't think you would find many in Huntsville or Bay City (The two tiny towns added to Greater Houston in the CSA) who would say they identify with Houston. In fact I doubt many outside the Urban area limits would identify with it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,155,614 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Congrats to San Jose and its burbs for having the second largest number of uber rich.
I don't think Atherton or Menlo Park counts as San Jose burbs, considering they are BOTH in San Mateo County.

Unless we're stretching the definition of San Jose metro now. You know, to put SF in its place.

Quote:
I agree. I don't think you would find many in Huntsville or Bay City (The two tiny towns added to Greater Houston in the CSA) who would say they identify with Houston. In fact I doubt many outside the Urban area limits would identify with it either.
Yeah. Same thing with the vast majority of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties land areas. I don't think people in Blythe or Needles identify with LA very much. Hell, or even Barstow. Maybe Victorville/Apple Valley and MAYBE (a stretch) the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, Indio, et. al)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Reputation: 5420
Looks like KC has 3 and StL has 2. Interesting I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top