Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think Indianapolis is on its way to becoming a world class city. Has some of the best and most renowned suburbs in the nation and some of the cheapest home prices, the city is growing fast.
+1
also lets not forget how Indy's economy is the 2nd strongest in the midwest.
Also i found this to be interesting.

City leads Midwest in speculative industrial development | 2012-11-27 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

notice how Indy is almost 2X ahead in industrial development to the 2nd place area Chicago.
Mayor Greg Ballard has said Indianapolis should be the capital of the *New Midwest* Sorry Chi-Town your heydays are behind you.
Time to crown a new capital of the midwest.
Maybe America and its cities will learn from the Fall of Chicago and Detroit.
Surprised we havent learned from detroit yet

Also Cold im not worried about Mass Transit. our leaders in Indianapolis at the city and state level will get something done in 2013. In all honesty Indy only needs to expand its bus service. building a rail line when the metro only has 2,000,000 people is kinda premature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Which ones? I don't think a majority of people in the USA could name any suburbs of Indy. Not knocking, just saying. It's becoming a good regional player, but I think it's a bit early to say it's world class.
Carmel, Indiana and Fishers come to mind as nationally ranked best places to live.
Remember this?
Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine
Carmel, Indiana was ranked #1 in the nation as best place to live. 2nd its the fastest growing suburb in the midwest. 3rd Fishers, Indiana was ranked 11th or 12th on that list.

Carmel really is a *Hidden Gem* of America and unless you take the time to visit it and tour around and know some of the people like i have you are really missing out. Its one of America's most affordable upper class suburbs. Schools are top of the class in both Indiana and Nationally and downtown Indianapolis is less than a 30 minute drive away.
Maybe Super Bowl 46 spread the word about Carmel and how great it is. only time will tell.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
+1

City leads Midwest in speculative industrial development | 2012-11-27 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

notice how Indy is almost 2X ahead in industrial development to the 2nd place area Chicago.
Mayor Greg Ballard has said Indianapolis should be the capital of the *New Midwest* Sorry Chi-Town your heydays are behind you.

Also Cold im not worried about Mass Transit. our leaders in Indianapolis at the city and state level will get something done in 2013. In all honesty Indy only needs to expand its bus service. building a rail line when the metro only has 2,000,000 people is kinda premature.
Spare me the Indianapolis capital of the *New Midwest* rhetoric, please.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 PM

157 posts, read 316,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
What the heck is this arrogant BS? Rebuild huh?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I could definitely see it becoming comparable to Denver... it reminded me a bit of it and had that "western" or "pioneer" feel about it, almost something mountain west about it, which you definitely get once you go a bit further towards Reno. Certainly different than the Coastal CA feel. I could imagine stage coaches and stuff going through the streets at one point back in the day.
Denver and Sacramento both state capitals, Denver slightly larger, both on the foothills of the continetal 48's two largest mountain ranges Sierras and Rockies and both near quintessential resort/ski towns. Yeah California is something else. It's the US in miniature IMO.

Southwest = Fresno

Southern cultured city = Bakersfield --> country music is popular they call Bakersfield "Nashville west"...

Upstate California = Pacific northwest

Sacramento valley = rocky mountain west/old west

Northern California = New England

LA = NYC and Chicago put together culturally + SoCal

San Diego/OC = California's answer to Florida ---> Disneyland, Seaworld, Legoland, beaches, northeast and midwestern transplants, latinos, politically balanced, etc.

Central valley = midwestern US

San Luis Obispo = quintessential central California coast

Santa Barbara = quintessential southern California coast

Monterrey Bay = quintessential northern California coast

Inland empire = suburban US

IMO California should be its own region.

Last edited by scrantiX; 11-29-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Hawaii4ever, what part of San Diego did you say you lived in again?

I used to live in San Diego and lived there for 10 years before moving to Miami briefly and then eventually SF Bay Area and we both must have been living in two different San Diego's judging off your posts. I lived in San Diego, California.
I live in inland North County. I'm not bashing San Diego, I like it, but I do think there's a lot of room for improvement, and I haven't found it to be very diverse.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I live in inland North County. I'm not bashing San Diego, I like it, but I do think there's a lot of room for improvement, and I haven't found it to be very diverse.
TBH I've found it to be more racially balanced than Miami by a longshot but yes ethnically either on par or slightly less diverse. Miami has a lack of Asians, it's a significant lack of the the folks from the worlds largest continent with two of the worlds largest countries by population but Miami's ethnically ahead of San Diego on Latins.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM

120 posts, read 208,963 times
Different people define "major" differently.

The only "major" cities in the US are probably NY, Chicago, LA and DC. But that is my definition. I would not include cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Philly, Boston, etc.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Different people define "major" differently.

The only "major" cities in the US are probably NY, Chicago, LA and DC. But that is my definition. I would not include cities like Denver, Minneapolis, Philly, Boston, etc.
DC..IDK. It's just not big enough. The Greater DC Area, maybe, but still. Miami is, though.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
+1

The fall of Chicago? Yes, Detroit has fallen and is a tragedy. But Chicago has not fallen, it IS a world class city that is 4 times the size of Indianapolis in every way. Indy has a long ways to go before catching up to Chicago. I hope it does, but it's a long ways off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City