Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The fall of Chicago? Yes, Detroit has fallen and is a tragedy. But Chicago has not fallen, it IS a world class city that is 4 times the size of Indianapolis in every way. Indy has a long ways to go before catching up to Chicago. I hope it does, but it's a long ways off!
Chicago has stagnated.
Notice how their unemployment rate is above 8% and has been for the 5 years. Plus the Pension mess me and you all know about. Someone has to pay for it. With a Republican House of Reps *Thank GOD* Illinois will NOT get a bailout from Washington so the citizens that are left in the state and havent relocated to Indiana and elsewhere will be paying the pension debt off.
Also Illinois business climate is trash and stuff like this makes it worse. Illinois Senate passes bill to make businesses disclose taxes - chicagotribune.com

over the past year and a half over 3000 jobs have relocated from Illinois to Indiana.
25 major companies and thousands of jobs in under 2 years.
Not to mention Small Businesses that flee Illinois for Indiana to remain competitative. Also the average middle class citizen that relocates to NWI or Indianapolis to reduce their property and income taxes. Heck moving to Indiana could save you THOUSANDs of dollars a year in property taxes alone. Crook County just keeps shooting itself in the foot.
People are tired of the Corruption/Crime and High taxes that is Chicago.
Small Businesses though arent documented so heaven knows how many have moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
I am going to go with Sacramento. Unlike San Diego or Nashville, Sacramento lacks an identity. At least San Diego (sun, the beach, military) and Nashville (music) or Buffalo (Niagra Falls) and Indianapolis (racing, hosted the SuperBowl) are known for something. Sacto's only claim is being the capital of the largest state of the union.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM

630 posts, read 994,095 times
Philly! Clean up downtown with new towers, retail, housing and landscape the sidewalks with flowers and LED Lightings.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
I say houston. Economically powerful and gaining in population, which I think will fill the gap. It leaves a little to be desired culturally, no offense to anyone, and it really needs to back it's claims of energy diversity (still an oil and natural gas town beyond anything else). It's future is very bright, imho.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Los Angeles.

Not that it's a bad city, but I believe it has the potential, fame, and recognition to become one of the finest cities in the world. As it is today, it's a wonderfully strange place that is still in the early process of evolving and developing. In another century, I can see LA becoming a London or Paris.
Living in DTLA, I agree with you. It's a wonderful place an the most eclectic city in the country. The way DT is evolving and the flow of money east into places like Silver Lake and Los Feliz and even Highland Park out east of that will result in a very interesting evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City