U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM

9,585 posts, read 10,917,416 times

Advertisements

What would a top 10 list look like for cities that have changed the most in their city core over the last 10 years. Include the following criteria:

-increased density (population added)
-new construction of new or redeveloped urban districts
-new rapid transit options (Subway/Lightrail/Streetcar/BRT/Circulator buses)
-new food option's (fine dining as well as great inexpensive food)(food trucks)
-increased walkability
-increased or restored grid (street) infrastructure
-new sustainabilty features (green features)
-new bike options (bike lanes, bike sharing systems)
-new night life option's
-increased employment base (additional downtown jobs added)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Hmm

Philly then LA followed by DC in tha last 10 IMHO - though jobs is definately DC

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Hmm

Philly then LA followed by DC in tha last 10 IMHO - though jobs is definately DC
What about the other 7 cities? What would you say are the other 7 according to the criteria?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What about the other 7 cities? What would you say are the other 7 according to the criteria?

not sure after that - In the US would say these three made the largest strides in the last decade. Maybe Seattle next then am not really sure

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM

15,665 posts, read 18,211,833 times
How about Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte? I haven't been to any of these cities, but from what I hear they've been through a transformation over the last 10 years.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How about Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte?

I was thinking about these cities more so when I made this thread. They have the most to gain and have made the biggest improvements considering where they were 10 years ago. Look at Atlanta compared to where it was for instance. Austin and Portland are another two I thought of when I made this thread; Portland has some pretty significant sustainability initiatives.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
I have been to all the cities over the past 5-10 years and most I visit every few years.

This is where I honestly think KC wins. I'm not sure another urban core (especially downtown) has done as much of a 180 as Kansas City has. The city still has some catching up to do, but what's been done there in a short time frame and what it was like before is just in a league of its own in this past decade. Most other cities had a long head start on KC or were not as bad in the first place.

DC is probably a close second, but DC is mostly gentrifying decaying areas, rediscovering its waterfront etc. KC was just a lost cause in the mid 1990's, on par with downtown detroit as far as blight and abandonment. Although if you include all of DC's urban core and not just downtown, then DC is clearly the winner.

I think Indy is close behind with all the recent changes (Mostly in preparation for the superbowl)

Other notables for me include Austin, Oklahoma City, Baltimore, Orlando, Minneapolis, Tampa, Oakland and Columbus. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Some cities like Portland, Chicago, Seattle, Charlotte etc have done a lot, but it's not a huge change because they have been doing a lot for much longer than ten years so it's more of an ongoing change vs a complete noticeable recent change.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have been to all the cities over the past 5-10 years and most I visit every few years.

This is where I honestly think KC wins. I'm not sure another urban core (especially downtown) has done as much of a 180 as Kansas City has. The city still has some catching up to do, but what's been done there in a short time from and what it was like before is just in a league of its own in this past decade. Most other cities had a long head start on KC.

DC is probably a close second, but DC is mostly gentrifying decaying areas, rediscovering its waterfront etc. KC was just a lost cause in the mid 1990's, on par with downtown detroit as far as blight and abandonment.

Other notables for me include Indianapolis, Austin, Oklahoma City, Baltimore, Orlando, Minneapolis, Tampa, Oakland and Columbus. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Some cities like Portland, Chicago, Charlotte etc have done a lot, but it's not a huge change because they have been doing a lot for much longer than ten years.

Could you post some stuff going on in KC you may know about? What would make you say KC? That's definetly one city I never hear mentioned much on here. I'm sure there are a ton of things happening in KC. Could you share some of them?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
I'd have to say DC. I went there in 2001, and just recently back in 2012... Pretty substantial changes, a few areas looked entirely different. Overall I didn't notice the homeless people on the streets I remember before, and things were pretty clean. I went to a few areas that were gentrifying in process on the NE side and they also look to be coming along nicely. The entire city seemed like it was under construction still. Atlanta is quite a bit different in terms of vibe than it was 10 years ago.

Chicago and NY seem more or less the same to me, though NYC seems to have more retail now than ever in Manhattan esp around Chelsea and SoHo. Chicago has redone it's downtown Grant Park into a gem, and the south loop area has been revitalized.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM

174 posts, read 425,313 times
I don't know enough to put them in a strict order, but the 10 I would think of (in no particular order) are:

Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Tampa, Charlotte, Portland, Kansas City, Baltimore, Seattle, OKC, Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or