Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: greater name recognition throughout the world?
Seattle 36 31.58%
Philadelphia 78 68.42%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times

Advertisements

Hey now, let's not pick on scrantiX. Clearly she's having a bad day and recoiling from the horror that Philadelphia is still alive and relevant in today's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Poll says Phily won. It will advance against the next competitor.
Huh? Is C-D like Enter the Dragon now?

"You come right out of a comic book!" - YouTube

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
LMAO I reallly cant stand you banjan!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I would say Philadelphia for being much older but today I always see Philly always shown in a negative light. Nowdays I honestly see and hear more about Seattle with Microsoft, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Google, Amazon and a few others. You also see Seattle on those best cities to live list. I know that doesn't mean much to some. Since 1990 its 80 square miles have added 100,000 new residents. Philadelphia is one of the great american cities but for those of us that don't live there I wish besides on CD I could turn on the tv and see more positive.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Of course Scrantix can't take that Philadelphia would possibly beat out another city... he is just going to keep "advancing" Philadelphia until he finds cities that beat Philadelphia

Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Of course Scrantix can't take that Philadelphia would possibly beat out another city... he is just going to keep "advancing" Philadelphia until he finds cities that beat Philadelphia
Quote:
Winner will advance against Dallas or Toronto.
Phily won the poll so it advanced. If Seattle won the poll it would have gone up against Toronto instead of Phily. I did pair Seattle against Toronto last night but asked for the thread to be deleted because it didn't win the poll here.

See the OP of this thread.

kthnxbye

Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM

484 posts, read 871,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Oh Scrantix haha. You crack me up. Poll not going your way? Boo hoo

Ask anyone, any normal person on the street where Microsoft is located... no one will have a clue.

Ask someone where the Space Needle is... no one will have a clue.

Ask someone where the Liberty Bell is, EVERYONE will know. Ask someone where Independence Hall is, EVERYONE will know. Ask someone where the Declaration of Independence was signed, EVERYONE will know. Ask someone about Philadelphia, everyone will say Ohh! Cheesesteaks! Rocky Stairs! Crazy but passionate sports fans! Liberty Bell! Love Park! Museums!

What do people say about Seattle? Coffee? I never hear people talking about Seattle the way people talk about Philadelphia and it's engrained culture on the minds of every American.

Philadelphia has more name recognition... founding of the U.S., many firsts in this country and a prominent U.S. city still in the top 5 for the entire existence of this country.

Philadelphia has more name recognition, end of story. You learn about Philadelphia in History class...

Seattle is a fantastic place, but Philadelphia has a permanent place in this country's history that can never be taken away from it, no matter how much haters like Scrantix try to bash it.
Don't have a horse in this race, so as an objective observer, I think you're giving people (outside of C-D of course) and Philly a little too much credit. I would actually say the opposite...outside of the Philly cheesesteak, most "normal person" as you put it would NOT know the majority of the things you mentioned. Ironically (and unfortunately), the reason people wouldn't know may be the exact reason you think everyone should know...history. I bet people can easily mistaken the Liberty Bell to be in Massachusetts, or Virginia, or that the Declaration of Independence was signed in New York or Delaware. I mean, the original 13 colonies had a shared history. And "Crazy but passionate sports fans"? "Museums"? Really? Philly don't have exclusivity on those and I don't know why you would think those are easily attributable or identifiable as a Philly thing.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Don't have a horse in this race, so as an objective observer, I think you're giving people (outside of C-D of course) and Philly a little too much credit. I would actually say the opposite...outside of the Philly cheesesteak, most "normal person" as you put it would NOT know the majority of the things you mentioned. Ironically (and unfortunately), the reason people wouldn't know may be the exact reason you think everyone should know...history. I bet people can easily mistaken the Liberty Bell to be in Massachusetts, or Virginia, or that the Declaration of Independence was signed in New York or Delaware. I mean, the original 13 colonies had a shared history. And "Crazy but passionate sports fans"? "Museums"? Really? Philly don't have exclusivity on those and I don't know why you would think those are easily attributable or identifiable as a Philly thing.
Everybody mentions sports and the fans when talking about Philly. I mentioned Museums: which I should have just said the Philadelphia Museum of Art with the "Rocky Stairs"

You really don't think people know that the Liberty Bell is in Philadelphia? I would say more people know the things I listed associated with Philly than know where or what the Space Needle is or where Microsoft is headquartered... are you suggesting that more people would know those things associated with Seattle over the things associated with Philadelphia?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
The Liberty Bell is 100% Philadelphia. I've seen it on an insignia $1 coin before and it has the word "Philadelphia" too.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
The Liberty Bell is 100% Philadelphia. I've seen it on an insignia $1 coin before and it has the word "Philadelphia" too.
Agreed. People absolutely associate Liberty Bell with Philadelphia. The people who don't know where the Liberty Bell is are in the minority. I can see people not knowing where the Constitution or Declaration of Independence was signed... but a good majority of American's know these things if they paid attention in History class in Junior High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City