U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,321,865 times

Advertisements

Heya CD's!

I'm a 30 something female, no pets, no kids, no b/f looking to settle down for at least the next 2-5 years. I'm a marketing/admin/office manager professional. I'm originally from Chicago and have lived in Colorado, Nevada, Texas and Florida. I've chased warm weather climates, but I can't seem to find the fun vibe/pulse and on-the-ball people that I'm craving from warm weather climates.

I am considering Boston because of the wonderful experience I had visiting last year. I do realize that visiting and living in a place are two completely different experiences. I welcome any insights.

An acquaintance told me that Brooklyn is like 5 Boston's rolled into one. I have been to NYC several times, but never spent any time in Brooklyn. Do you agree with this statement? I hear that rent is less outrageous in Brooklyn than other parts of NYC. Opinions and insights greatly welcomed.

I hear nothing but positives about Portland and have a trip planned out there in a few weeks. Any insights?

Which city would be the best for singles? Dating? Things to do? Culture? Live music? Electric/alive pulse to the city? Affordability? If another city comes to mind, I am open to suggestions. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM

1,796 posts, read 3,394,076 times
Brooklyn, of course, is not its own city, but it has a lot going on within it. Brooklyn is a great place to live at any age, whereas people in their 30s in Boston often wonder if they shouldn't be going somewhere else since so many of the people one sees in the street are college/post-college age and one's contemporaries live out in the suburbs somewhere. Brooklyn has lots of good schools these days and many neighborhoods are booming with children. It is easy to meet people in Brooklyn and New York, harder maybe to get to know them beyond the stage of casual acquaintance. If you like the great outdoors, Brooklyn is a lousy choice, even within New York. It's a hassle to get anywhere from Brooklyn. Brooklyn (and New York in general) is the sort of place where, on a Sunday, people have brunch, go to a street fair or a city park or a museum, walk around in the city, etc. If your idea of a day off is to get out of town to ski or hike, Brooklyn (and New York in general) doesn't really operate that way. Not that you can't, but people are in general focused on city offerings. Boston has many wonderful places nearby and farther away for walks, hikes, kayaking, you name it. In Boston, city, suburb, and country areas are all much more cohesive and inter-related. Portland I'm sure is the champ in in having outdoor opportunities at hand but I have never been there.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM

21,875 posts, read 23,419,123 times
It'd probably help to get a little more info such as what affordable means to you and what you liked about your previous locations and any details on what it is you're looking for.

Did you try Austin when you were in Texas?

Brooklyn has inexpensive parts, but not with the sort of atmosphere you're talking about. Brooklyn comes in second with outrageous rents after most of Manhattan, so it can be very expensive. You can try upper Manhattan, parts of Queens (such as Astoria) or up-and-coming type neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

I like Portland a lot.

Also, I really like South Philly, but it might just be me. It's got a great music scene down there and it's quite affordable.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 AM

Thank you for your responses.

Quote:
It'd probably help to get a little more info such as what affordable means to you and what you liked about your previous locations and any details on what it is you're looking for.
I know I will offend people with my statements, but please realize this is my life and my perspectives. If you had a different experience, good for you. Affordability is rent under $1000/month.

Born in Chicago. Considered going back, but I'd prefer to try somewhere new. I am nervous over the brutal winters, but it's a great city. Hate toll roads. I like midwest guys.

Lived in Punta Gorda and Ft. Myers FL when I was younger. I've been back to visit friends in Cape Coral and Sarasota a few times. I am too young for FL. There's limited work opportunities, no culture, rednecks, old people and I don't care one iota about the beach. I like having cancer-free skin, thank you very much! )

Denver - lived there on and off for 17 years. Hiked myself silly and snowboarded. Enjoyed the amenities, but grew bored of them. No culture, bad city for singles, boring, limited nightlife, landlocked, never saw myself settling down there. The bipolar weather was irritating as was the vibe of people.

Las Vegas - favorite city I've ever lived in. Entertainment, excellent road trips within a days drive in any direction, live and let live attitudes, loved the desert climate, easy to meet people and make friends. I was laid off and grew up. Over the partying lifestyle. In my many visits back to Vegas, I concluded there's no quality of life in Vegas.

Dallas - hell does exist. Rednecks, the worst drivers, nothing cosmopolitan about this city, offensive religious mentality in every walk of life there, hail storms, being asked to wear more make-up at work, traffic, city size is way too big. I considered Austin and visited there 5 times. I do not understand the hype or appeal! It is a small college town. Very overrated and I'd be bored within a few weeks of living there.

Milan, Italy - wonderful experience, extended family there...but after awhile it's just not as fun as the good USA.

Quote:
Also, I really like South Philly, but it might just be me. It's got a great music scene down there and it's quite affordable.
Interesting, I've never considered Philly. I'll have to look into it.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM

21,875 posts, read 23,419,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Thank you for your responses.

I know I will offend people with my statements, but please realize this is my life and my perspectives. If you had a different experience, good for you. Affordability is rent under $1000/month.

Born in Chicago. Considered going back, but I'd prefer to try somewhere new. I am nervous over the brutal winters, but it's a great city. Hate toll roads. I like midwest guys.

Lived in Punta Gorda and Ft. Myers FL when I was younger. I've been back to visit friends in Cape Coral and Sarasota a few times. I am too young for FL. There's limited work opportunities, no culture, rednecks, old people and I don't care one iota about the beach. I like having cancer-free skin, thank you very much! )

Denver - lived there on and off for 17 years. Hiked myself silly and snowboarded. Enjoyed the amenities, but grew bored of them. No culture, bad city for singles, boring, limited nightlife, landlocked, never saw myself settling down there. The bipolar weather was irritating as was the vibe of people.

Las Vegas - favorite city I've ever lived in. Entertainment, excellent road trips within a days drive in any direction, live and let live attitudes, loved the desert climate, easy to meet people and make friends. I was laid off and grew up. Over the partying lifestyle. In my many visits back to Vegas, I concluded there's no quality of life in Vegas.

Dallas - hell does exist. Rednecks, the worst drivers, nothing cosmopolitan about this city, offensive religious mentality in every walk of life there, hail storms, being asked to wear more make-up at work, traffic, city size is way too big. I considered Austin and visited there 5 times. I do not understand the hype or appeal! It is a small college town. Very overrated and I'd be bored within a few weeks of living there.

Milan, Italy - wonderful experience, extended family there...but after awhile it's just not as fun as the good USA.

Interesting, I've never considered Philly. I'll have to look into it.
For under a thousand a month, you'll definitely have to split your place with someone in Brooklyn. It's a pretty good city for singles as there are a lot of people from all walks of life to meet, but it is pricey. Also, you should be prepared to ditch your car as driving and parking in NYC is often annoying and you will be paying quite a bit in parking tickets or for parking spaces.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Thank you for the info!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,055 times
Question Is Brooklyn a good exciting and secure city to live?

Hi! I'm from Latin America,Argentina.Maybe and most probably is that I'm going to Brooklyn in two years. And I'm insecure about the city. I just wanted to know if is Brooklyn a good city?
My city is boring af,and someone told that Brooklyn is very nice and exciting.But I just don't know,and I wanted that people that visited or live in tell me how is it
Is boring? Is a secure city?
How are the nights in Brooklyn?
There are cool partys and stuff like that? haha jk
I just want to know ¿how is the city?
Please someone answer me,thank you much.Sorry for the bad english and the long text haha.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,274,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Affordability is rent under $1000/month.
Without one or more roommates that takes Boston & Brooklyn out of the picture.

What does "on-the-ball people" mean?

If you mean open to new ideas then that's basically the west coast. If you mean people with ambition that's the opposite of Portland.

Have you looked into Montreal, yet? Philly sized city with that Vegas nightlife vibe. On Chicago's level. If that option is open to you I'd take it over most US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City