Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,968,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I agree SF has a huge divers food scene, not sure where I implied otherwise; my question was what does "SF in Michellin guide" have to do with anything? I was more referring to food known in the city: example: Philly Cheese Steak, Chicago style pizza, Chicago style hot dog......

On sports, I have never heard of the San Francisco Sharks, where do they play? NBA team? The Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Blackhawks have all been around as long as the sports have been in existence, the Giants to many, are still as well known for playing in New York.

I disagree on Haight/Ashbury being as famous as any street in most of the other cities (by a long shot).
San Jose Sharks are our NHL team. It's the team we root for. Doesn't really matter if you've heard of them, we support them and they are good.

Burritos are known to be a San Francisco specialty. Sure you wont hear "San Francisco burrito" but its apart of our local cuisine and none of your cities back east have an inch on us on that.

What cities have more famous streets without mentioning the obvious LA and Chicago ones. I give you Newbury in Boston too but I think Haight and Ashbury are just as known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,372,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The Michelin Guide is a premere guide for tourism throughout the world listing the finest restaurants, hotels, etc.. Michelin Red Guides are also published for selected major cities: Paris, London, Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Hokkaido, Hong Kong & Macau, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area & Wine Country, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Las Vegas. There is also a Red Guide encompassing the "Main Cities of Europe."
I know what the Michelin Guide is, but that doesn't answer the question.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
San Jose Sharks are our NHL team. It's the team we root for. Doesn't really matter if you've heard of them, we support them and they are good.

Burritos are known to be a San Francisco specialty. Sure you wont hear "San Francisco burrito" but its apart of our local cuisine and none of your cities back east have an inch on us on that.

What cities have more famous streets without mentioning the obvious LA and Chicago ones. I give you Newbury in Boston too but I think Haight and Ashbury are just as known.
I obviously have heard of the San Jose Sharks, but they do not play in San Fran, read the original post, I said CITY LIMITS ONLY.

Burritos may be known in SF but not really a San Fran thing.

Famous streets - now you are moving the goal post....you said Haight/Ashbury is just as well known as any other street in the other cities listed, now your saying "outside of the obvious LA and Chicago ones", see what you did there? I would say Pennsylvania Avenue is more famous than Haight Ashbury

Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,967,446 times
Quote:
I obviously have heard of the San Jose Sharks, but they do not play in San Fran, read the original post, I said CITY LIMITS ONLY.

Famous streets - now you are moving the goal post....you said Haight/Ashbury is just as well known as any other street in the other cities listed, now your saying "outside of the obvious LA and Chicago ones", see what you did there? I would say Pennsylvania Avenue is more famous than Haight Ashbury
What is a Chicago thing when you mention about food? I guess Lousiana is the premire state in the US because they have "Louisana Hot Links"?

I see this as a troll thread trying to elevate the city of Chicago and bash the other four cities. Reality check man. Chicago doesn't have anything on the other majors. You are in the same tier as the rest of the four cities. Chicago clearly lacks with an icon identifying the city (which is essential IMO) in a photo unless your a skyscraper geek and can identify the Willis Tower.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
What is a Chicago thing when you mention about food? I guess Lousiana is the premire state in the US because they have "Louisana Hot Links"?

I see this as a troll thread trying to elevate the city of Chicago and bash the other four cities. Reality check man. Chicago doesn't have anything on the other majors. You are in the same tier as the rest of the four cities. Chicago clearly lacks with an icon identifying the city (which is essential IMO) in a photo unless your a skyscraper geek and can identify the Willis Tower.
Troll Thread? Get real. I live in DC, why are you using "you" in place of Chicago? and when did I bash any of the other cites?

"What is a Chicago thing when you mention about food? "
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Chicago Hot Dog.

San Fran Clearly lacks an icon identifying the city unless you're a Bridge Geek, see what I did there? Sounds like you are the one trolling.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,758,726 times
Quote:

This is why I put DC ahead of SF.

IMO LA wins the most recognizable streets pretty easily. You hear Santa Monica, Sunset, Melrose, Hollywood, Wilshire, Mulholland - people know what city you are talking about and there is little doubt.

Chicago has some well known streets as well, Michigan being the one that is probably most widely recognized.

Boston has Newbury Street, Tremont Street and Beacon Street, perhaps Commonwealth Avenue (doubt that is well-known nationally though). Hanover Street (North End) might also be fairly well known as it is a tourist destination.

I don't know enough about Philly but have learned Walnut and Chestnut are two biggies. Market Street as well, which why I don't think SF's Market is that well-known - I associate Philly with Market St. For some reason Locust has always really stuck with me, such an interesting name for a street.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,758,726 times
Quote:
Troll Thread? Get real. I live in DC, why are you using "you" in place of Chicago? and when did I bash any of the other cites?

"What is a Chicago thing when you mention about food? "
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Chicago Hot Dog.

San Fran Clearly lacks an icon identifying the city unless you're a Bridge Geek, see what I did there? Sounds like you are the one trolling.
The bacon-wrapped hot dog from LA should be world-famous, though I doubt a lot of people know about it. It is seriously so ridiculously good.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The bacon-wrapped hot dog from LA should be world-famous, though I doubt a lot of people know about it. It is seriously so ridiculously good.
Was in LA last week, and had one for the first time, amazing!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Chicago has some well known streets as well, Michigan being the one that is probably most widely recognized.

I would say the 3 streets commonly known in Chicago are Michigan Ave, State Street, and Lake Shore Drive. There are others that are still known, but the 3 mentioned are the obvious.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Well technically it's from Tijuana but same thing I suppose. I keed I keed.. I think most people will associate them with LA but I always refer to them as Tijuana dogs. I've noticed them spread up here in the Bay Area. Seen outside a few places in SF and they usually have them on the BART bridge to the Oakland Coliseum on game days now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City