Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times

Advertisements

This thread was tailor-made for Chicago to win. It has large city limits, and most everything that one associates with Chicagoland is contained in them. Los Angeles can match it in size, but it has a large amount of amenities outside of its city limits, and most people would vote for Chicago anyway, since it's one of the most butt-smooched cities on city-data and L.A. isn't. It's that simple. San Francisco can hang, but at 47 sq miles, it loses amenities that are spread out in Oakland and along the Bay, same with Boston. DC is too small to compete, and Philly, though big, is too unpolished (like the city of L.A.) to get enough votes here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
The Warriors are moving to SF on the waterfront by AT&T Park (SF GIANTS). Soon to have not only the best ball park in the country but the best basketball arena as well.

But... the 49ers are moving out of city proper
I didn't know either of those things. That's really disappointing that the 9ers are moving to Santa Clara. the Warriors deserve to be out of Oakland though.

I will agree with the general sentiment in this thread that the 6 cities in the OP plus NYC are the only complete cities in the country, and that's depressing. Atlanta and Miami will get there in my lifetime, possibly Dallas and M-SP. I don't see much hope for the other cities around the country though, in this category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This thread was tailor-made for Chicago to win. It has large city limits, and most everything that one associates with Chicagoland is contained in them. Los Angeles has a large amount of amenities outside of its city limits, and most people would vote for Chicago anyway, since it's one of the most butt-smooched cities on city-data and L.A. isn't. It's that simple. San Francisco can hang, but at 47 sq miles, it loses amenities that are spread out in Oakland and along the Bay, same with Boston. DC is too small to compete, and Philly, though big, is too unpolished (like the city of L.A.) to get enough votes here.
They call Chicago "The Second City" for a reason. It does have a lot of advantages being large and the sole cultural hub of its area. Philly, DC and Boston all suffer from and benefit from being in the Northeast Corridor. I think Philly and LA can hang with Chicago because of size alone, even if they lack the polish.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM

342 posts, read 570,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I didn't know either of those things. That's really disappointing that the 9ers are moving to Santa Clara. the Warriors deserve to be out of Oakland though.

I will agree with the general sentiment in this thread that the 6 cities in the OP plus NYC are the only complete cities in the country, and that's depressing. Atlanta and Miami will get there in my lifetime, possibly Dallas and M-SP. I don't see much hope for the other cities around the country though, in this category.
Denver has been making alot of progress in the last couple years so maybe them too, and maybe seattle. warriors are what NBA?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Yes Warriors are NBA.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Denver has been making alot of progress in the last couple years so maybe them too, and maybe seattle. warriors are what NBA?
I'll concede Denver and Seattle do have potential, I overlooked them in that post.

Warriors are NBA, they've been a bit of a journey team though. They started in Philly, moved to San Fran, then to Oakland, now back to San Fran apparently.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Warriors will be relevant and a perennial contender, finally having the ability to attract high end free agents.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Know what's funny? If NYC was part of this discussion, it would be a city without a football team!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 PM

well so would Boston, DC, LA and soon to be san fran. why are the 49ers leaving sf anyway?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 20,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Burritos may be known in SF but not really a San Fran thing.
San Francisco burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM

how many people have heard of a "san francisco burrito" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City