Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True or not?
yes, it is that segregated 52 51.49%
not more or less segregated than anywhere else in america 28 27.72%
it is actually more integrated than other areas of america 21 20.79%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times

Advertisements

I'm Chinese American.

My wife is half Japanese, quarter Argentinean, and quarter French. Her mother was half Argentinean and half French and her father was Japanese. My wife looks more white with a hint of Asian and Latin and she can speak Japanese, Spanish, French, and English. While her baby sister, who is visiting us today looks nicely blended between Japanese and Latin, not that white and is dating a black guy.

Multiracial relationships are very common in the bay and California, more so than anywhere else in the US except perhaps other diverse and border immigrant states like Florida and Texas and obviously NYC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Is the Northeast segregated? I think thats too broad. I personally find Boston to be very integrated but DC and New Jersey to be very segregated. NYC and Philly are somewhere in between.

However, people often mistake segregation for racist. For example Chicago is an exceptionally segregated city, but its very welcoming to people of all backgrounds.

Overall the Northeast is more sergregated than cities on in California and Texas, but its not as alarming as your friend made it sound.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I'm Chinese American.

My wife is half Japanese, quarter Argentinean, and quarter French. Her mother was half Argentinean and half French and her father was Japanese. My wife looks more white with a hint of Asian and Latin while her baby sister, who is visiting us today looks nicely blended between Japanese and Latin, not that white and is dating a black guy.

Multiracial relationships are very common in the bay and California, more so than anywhere else in the US except perhaps other diverse and border immigrant states like Florida and Texas and obviously NYC area.

Interracial dating is less common than you think in NYC. There is a lot of "interracial dating" but there very few people actually marry or get serious with others who are of a different ethnicity. Someone can date without the expectation that it will ever get more serious. Dating is "playing". It's a whole different story when you talk about multi-racial marriages. The only effective example of that are Majorty/minority pairings, but very rare with minority/minority pairings.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Is the Northeast segregated? I think thats too broad. I personally find Boston to be very integrated but DC and New Jersey to be very segregated. NYC and Philly are somewhere in between.

However, people often mistake segregation for racist. For example Chicago is an exceptionally segregated city, but its very welcoming to people of all backgrounds.

Overall the Northeast is more sergregated than cities on in California and Texas, but its not as alarming as your friend made it sound.

Segregation is racism. You have to ask "why" it's segregated in the first place. While this is understandable for first generation immigrants to want to stay in pockets, it's often not the case several generations down. I doubt most segregation in NYC, Philly, and Chicago is voluntary. I come from a very segregated smaller city (Kansas City), and even if you were a minority who wanted to move to a white area, they will basically not let you.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Interracial dating is less common than you think in NYC. There is a lot of "interracial dating" but there very few people actually marry or get serious with others who are of a different ethnicity. Someone can date without the expectation that it will ever get more serious. Dating is "playing". It's a whole different story when you talk about multi-racial marriages. The only effective example of that are Majorty/minority pairings, but very rare with minority/minority pairings.
Cant tell you about NYC guy, I haven't ever lived there but been there enough to tell you I've always seen interracial couples everywhere, especially the worldly borough of Manhattan. Don't know how many of them are tourists and how many are locals but I've seen it. Now the NYC suburbs in Jersey I don't believe for one second are devoid of interracial couples. I've seen it so much in Edison, Elizabeth, Hoboken, Newark. It's common there.

SoFlorida its hard to even tell what background folks are unless you can tell the subtle difference in accent or physical appearance but its easily one of the leaders if not the leader of interracial relationships IMO. I was just in Dallas last week, it looks like interracial dating is alive and well strongly in Texas. I visit Austin more often and its there too and I don't know the rest of the state that well but I am sure Houston is likely one of the leaders on this seeing how diverse the place is.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM

How is segregation racism?

No ones putting a gun to your head and telling you where to live, you choose to live by your own folks on your own. You're to blame for segregation and no one else.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
How is segregation racism?

No ones putting a gun to your head and telling you where to live, you choose to live by your own folks on your own. You're to blame for segregation and no one else.

There is nothing wrong with separate but equal. But segregation actually reveals that people can exist in the same city, but not necessarily exist in the same neighborhood. And in either case, we're all American anyway, that's how it should be seen. Based on America's philosophy, things should be more integrated. I can tell you, I've never lived in Chicago, but minorities in Chicago aren't exactly walking around high on life going back to their segregated ghettos high on crime and murder. While white people stay out of the mix in surburbia. The thing is, segregation is often related to class and income. you can't possibly be as naive as you're sounding. It has to be a troll. Segregation is easily a by product of racism. Saying Chicago is accepting really means "Chicago allows people of all backgrounds to move here".

Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Is this who I think it is? Anyway, a lot of couples just live together without getting married too. So, marriage isn't the be all, end all in terms of long term relationships nowadays.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Segregation is racism. You have to ask "why" it's segregated in the first place. While this is understandable for first generation immigrants to want to stay in pockets, it's often not the case several generations down. I doubt most segregation in NYC, Philly, and Chicago is voluntary. I come from a very segregated smaller city (Kansas City), and even if you were a minority who wanted to move to a white area, they will basically not let you.

Not sure I totally agree with this at all.

One of the most historically segregated neighborhoods in S Philly today is one of the most integrated (Italians far smaller amount, Jews far smaller amount, Vietnamese, Mexican, Other asian, and white suburban hipsters)

Now there are neighborhoods like Port Richmond a traditionally polish neighborhood that is still lilly white and polish. But think you make sweeping generalizations with your comments

some neighborhoods are slow to change identity for a number of reasons

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Too bad this thread has no poll(ster).

Yawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City