Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True or not?
yes, it is that segregated 52 51.49%
not more or less segregated than anywhere else in america 28 27.72%
it is actually more integrated than other areas of america 21 20.79%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 PM

37 posts, read 53,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Wtf

If you're finding acceptance hard in any of the big US cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, Boston, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Detroit, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Denver, or San Diego then there's something wrong with YOU not the city.

Like I already said I'm Chinese American and not to be pushy but I look like an Americanized Chinese, you would only imagine going to a place and being looked at like a museum exhibit by the locals for me but I haven't had that problem yet in any major city and a slew of the medium sized ones either. You're exaggerating segregation, if you have the income to support living in the neighborhood of your dreams but instead you choose to live in a ethnic neighborhood surrounded by your people then that's your personal problem and the city is not to blame for that. You look at segregation as racist and I look at it as folks selfsegregating themselves on purpose, even if you are lower income and are limited in your choices, then why pick a low income neighborhood of the same people when you can just as easily pick another with different demographics? You're purposely selfsegregating yourself and you are the only one to blame for segregation.
As a Chinese male, did you face a lot of negative stereotypes while dating? Did women, even the "progressive ones" (who in my experience are the most racist) ever say they aren't into you because you aren't their "type" or because they are not into Asians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBrahLin View Post
As a Chinese male, did you face a lot of negative stereotypes while dating? Did women, even the "progressive ones" (who in my experience are the most racist) ever say they aren't into you because you aren't their "type" or because they are not into Asians?
From what I know having lived in San Diego and now the bay, your race wont stop you from seeing anyone that much.

I don't have a lot of dating experience because I met my wife in college because we both took French, her because she is part French and myself because I wanted to learn the language. Married her out of college, we moved to Miami for a few months, hated it the experience, then moved to SF Bay Area and have been here since. We have no problems mixing in society because our race.

My wife and I usually travel separately because of our careers but when we do travel together and the few places in the US we've been together like NYC, Miami, Dallas, LA, Chicago, Denver, and Seattle we haven't had any problems with anyone staring.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBrahLin View Post
Truth, my Indian friend rejected a beautiful turkish girl, I asked him why, he said "no way I am ever dating a Middle Eastern person". He looks sort of Middle Eastern himself but has only dated Blondes, White brunettes, and a Latina girl.
So you're friend has no problem passing judgement on the "racist" and "close minded" attitudes of people in the Northeast but actually harbors these same attitudes? How hypocritical

Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Generally speaking, people in the Northeast are more conscious of their ethnic background. In a lot of the country "white people" identify as American, "white" or are so far removed from their ancestors that they identify with an ethnic group(s) in name only.

That is not true in The Northeast and there are many communities that go back generations which were orginally the center of a specific group. But that is not to say it is still as segregated as it once was. In fact, I grew up in what some people consider the first "successfully integrated" neighborhood in The US (Mount Airy, Philadelphia).

People all over the World like to live with people that look like them. The US is no exception, but in the major cities and especially the cores of Boston NYC Philadelphia DC I do not see what your friend sees, so the problem most likely lies with him and his own efforts.
One thing about The Northeast is that people read others easily and give back what they are given. Gotta give respect to get respect.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Let's be real here, Asians, Latinos, and Middle Easterners are the most racist people in the world. Far more racist than any white southerner could possibly be. I find Latinos and their racism to be quite disgusting at times. So I don't know why who the date and marry is really all that important, since they're oftentimes racist people looking to "date up" anyway.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Let's be real here, Asians, Latinos, and Middle Easterners are the most racist people in the world. Far more racist than any white southerner could possibly be. I find Latinos and their racism to be quite disgusting at times. So I don't know why who the date and marry is really all that important, since they're oftentimes racist people looking to "date up" anyway.
Really???

I find Latinos to be the least racist of all the ethnic groups. Well, at least Mexicans and Central Americans anyway.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Here You Go!

Race - Salon.com

10 Most Segregated Cities

10 - Los Angeles

9 - Philadelphia

8 - Cincinnati

7 - St. Louis

6 - Buffalo

5 - Cleveland

4 - Detroit

3 - Chicago

2 - New York City

1 - Milwaukee

Old 09-28-2012, 01:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
From what I know having lived in San Diego and now the bay, your race wont stop you from seeing anyone that much.

I don't have a lot of dating experience because I met my wife in college because we both took French, her because she is part French and myself because I wanted to learn the language. Married her out of college, we moved to Miami for a few months, hated it the experience, then moved to SF Bay Area and have been here since. We have no problems mixing in society because our race.

My wife and I usually travel separately because of our careers but when we do travel together and the few places in the US we've been together like NYC, Miami, Dallas, LA, Chicago, Denver, and Seattle we haven't had any problems with anyone staring.
Me too. Im a Middle Eastern man married to a Thai woman. Only places weve ever gotten stares were in Dearborn, MI and in Chinatown in Chicago.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Really???

I find Latinos to be the least racist of all the ethnic groups. Well, at least Mexicans and Central Americans anyway.

you apparently don't know enough latinos, they're very racist. Just look at how race relations are in their own country. I find it funny that some woman in Brazil told me how racist America is, and told me how race doesn't matter in Brazil. Then you read about Brazil and see economic disparity gaping wide almost amongst racial lines. Latin America is TOTALLY racist, about 10x more racist than post antebellum America.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:54 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You can walk away from a "relationship" penalty free as well. I can date a woman for 10 years, and decide to just walk out on her, and there will be no legal penalty. all you have is a verbal agreement, but there is nothing binding you two together. The only time I've seen people willing to get married is when they are of the same race. And marriage has a big value, because you can't just walk away from it. So these same people who are doing all this "interracial dating" are they willing to bind this relationship by law? I doubt many people would actually take that step.
In case you weren't aware, monetary penalties are not the only thing that is considered when talking about relationships. There are these things called emotions. You tend to develop them when you are with somebody for a long time. I'm not sure if you came here in a time machine from a different decade, but in 2012, less and less people are getting married... and a large percentage of people that do get married, get a divorce pretty easily. This is all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City