Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,379,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
No poll but I'd vote for Boston as having most seamless inner cities with Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington, Brookline etc. you can be on the green line in Boston, leave Boston and travel into Brookline and then leave Brookline and reenter Boston in Brighton on the same subway line. The urbanity through Brookline at Coolidge corner, Washington square is entirely seamless.
I agree they're urban but Cambridge and Somerville are across a river. Even on the subway you go above ground and see the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM

1,389 posts, read 842,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I agree they're urban but Cambridge and Somerville are across a river. Even on the subway you go above ground and see the river.
First They both connect directly to a Boston neighborhood via Charlestown (which is itself a Boston neighborhood) without any river. Also the river around bu bridge is very narrow.
Also, they are one-ish subway stop from the center of downtown. No other places being mentioned in other cities are as integrated with the center of downtown of the major city. Most are attached in the outskirts.

Even if they didn't have a land connection which they do...Would you say river north is not connected to the loop,queens not connected to Manhattan? I would argue Cambridge is as much if not more a part of Boston than queens is a part of Manhattan etc. I'm talking from a livability standpoint, obviously boundary wise they aren't bostin

Last edited by Ne999; 12-03-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-03-2017, 11:35 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
First They both connect directly to a Boston neighborhood via Charlestown (which is itself a Boston neighborhood) without any river. Also the river around bu bridge is very narrow.
Also, they are one-ish subway stop from the center of downtown. No other places being mentioned in other cities are as integrated with the center of downtown of the major city. Most are attached in the outskirts.

Even if they didn't have a land connection which they do...Would you say river north is not connected to the loop,queens not connected to Manhattan? I would argue Cambridge is as much if not more a part of Boston than queens is a part of Manhattan etc. I'm talking from a livability standpoint, obviously boundary wise they aren't bostin
There is a river, the Miller River, that's why the Train Yard is there they filled in the swamp surrounding the river, it's still a very real geographic barrier.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:34 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,348,639 times
every major city.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,379,373 times
Quote:

I understand its easy to get from Cambridge to Boston or Somerville to Boston, but you do go over a river, you notice it.

As well as from Cambridge to Charlestown have you walked it it takes forever, either in the park under a highway and over the rails? its not quick. And then Rutherford Ave isn't exactly welcoming.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:54 PM

1,389 posts, read 842,693 times
River or no river Cambridge is more seamlessly integrated into downtown Boston than most other examples of cities to their respective downtowns on this thread. As an example Cambridge is more seamlessly integrated into the fabric of Boston than Evanston for Chicago and on and on..

Old 12-03-2017, 05:06 PM

309 posts, read 302,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Cordova seems to blend well with Memphis.

I would agree that University City and Clayton Missouri blends well with St.Louis city.

Oak Park is Chicago to me. Lol. I'm sure the same can be said about most cities and their inner suburbs.
Is Cordova not part of Memphis proper...?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 PM

381 posts, read 483,174 times
I think Cordova is mostly part of Memphis proper, but some of it may be unincorporated.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times
Las Vegas the largest city in the state, neighboring Henderson the 2nd and the city of North Las Vegas the 3rd and all bordering each other! Reno is tied with North Las Vegas for 3rd

Old 12-03-2017, 06:58 PM

2,739 posts, read 2,369,617 times
Bethesda/Silver Spring w/ DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City