U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 AM

886 posts, read 1,292,279 times

Advertisements

Their annual release is out! A few new surprises and a brand new debut by Boston, Houston, and Vancouver.

2. NYC (2nd last year)
9. LA (5th last year)
24. Las Vegas (16th last year)
31. Vancouver (Debut)
39. Miami (26th last year)
41. SF (Debuted last year at 38th)
42. Austin (Debuted last year at 40th)
44. Boston (Debut)
46. Dallas (37th last year)
47. Mexico City (22nd last year)
49. Houston (Debut)
50. Chicago (36th last year)
52. Montreal (49 last year)
53. Toronto (34th last year)
55. Atlanta (45th last year)

Wow one of the posters on this forum, Slyman11 who has a hobby for fashion told us to anticipate most of these like the Boston and Houston debut (he mentioned D.C. too but was off on that), Dallas surpassing Chicago, summer Olmpics preventing NYC from being first, this years theme being summer and sports wear (as it would affect cold climate fashion centers), and SF's rise as a fashion capital. I would say he was almost completely accurate.

London Edges New York for Top 2012 Global Fashion Capital | The Global Language Monitor

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 09-30-2012 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,199,762 times
I remember him saying all of those things in a thread once and he told us that the new ranks would be coming out next month (this was back in July or August). He mentioned the likes of DC, Boston, Houston, San Diego, and Nashville will be joining in the "next couple of years" so this year two of them did and there's still potential for the other three in the years to come. That's spot on.

I'm really happy to see San Francisco moving up and surpassing its American peers, over the last couple of years the city has become more fashion crazed and is doing more runways and hosting more high end fashion events. It's moving in the right direction IMO.

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-30-2012 at 01:53 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 AM

Yeah fashion is Adrian's hobby. He knows more about it than most people do.

Last time I was in D.C. compared to my first time proves its become a much more fashionable place in a short period of time. It's probably on the cusp of joining these other cities soon.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:12 AM

31,588 posts, read 53,140,492 times
There is way too much stereotyping in that ranking. But I do wonder how 1 would one rank this through actual research?

Anyway, in my unscientific observation the best dressed cities are New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Dallas.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 AM

Stereotypes are a plus in fashion. Judges go to runway shows for large cities and make their own critiques (each city has its own unique style and subtheme) but it seems like each year is slanted towards different themes. The little one liners following city names, they put that there for a tongue in cheek comment rather than anything else. They have a good set of criteria for all their studies.

I agree with the 4 you named too. I actually mentioned the same 4 in a shopping thread a few months ago. They feel like fashion hotspots all over.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,823,142 times
DC will make it next year, its had an abnormal increase in fashionista firms there over the last 6 months alone. Usually they rank cities by a few things, buzz words is one but one of the more irrelevant things they look at. The influence a city's designers have on the fashion trends of this year play the largest role, in the case of Boston and Houston making their debut their runway has developed strongly and they have designers that contributed to the wedding of Kate Middleton and fashionists that designed for Olympic athletes and other celebrities around the world.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,371,718 times
Now this is my type of topic. Can't wait to see what city surpasses NYC in the future in America.

Love fashion I am a fashion freak.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,823,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Now this is my type of topic. Can't wait to see what city surpasses NYC in the future in America.

Love fashion I am a fashion freak.
No city in North America will ever come close to surpassing NY in fashion. Fashion is a multi billion dollar industry in NY and one of the fastest growing in the city, you can combine the next 7 cities in the U.S. and NY still beats them. The big 4 in the world are NY, London, Milan, and Paris and the second best U.S. city has no chance of competing with any of those 4. If its not these 4 then it's second tier.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,371,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
No city in North America will ever come close to surpassing NY in fashion. Fashion is a multi billion dollar industry in NY and one of the fastest growing in the city, you can combine the next 7 cities in the U.S. and NY still beats them. The big 4 in the world are NY, London, Milan, and Paris and the second best U.S. city has no chance of competing with any of those 4. If its not these 4 then it's second tier.
Well damn lol. Thanks for the info. Btw I work in the fashion district in manhattan

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,268,371 times
wow, look at Vancouver shooting unto the list.

Surprised to see Houston on the list.

I know it has great shopping opportunities, but the Dallas and ATL folks are always saying how waaaaaaaaaay ahead they are

Also surprised at Boston. Was a low key stunner in that industry. Have not heard many people talking it up here.
Boston posters what is going on in Boston???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or