U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Minneapolis more similar to Seattle or Portland?
Seattle 20 68.97%
Portland 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM
 
136 posts, read 181,824 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

In terms of:

culture
nightlife
scenery
traffic
arts
"perceived attitude" of the people
"liberalness"
ethnic and racial diversity
downtown
overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,801 posts, read 17,657,859 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojob8 View Post
"liberalness"
All these cities are liberal, but not just liberal but annoying liberal

like this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
 
48 posts, read 50,423 times
Reputation: 28
I haven't been to Minneapolis but just judging by how it looks in photos and what I've heard about it I'm going to say Seattle. It seems kind of like an inland continental version of Seattle to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
 
37 posts, read 41,134 times
Reputation: 18
I feel as if we are closely related to Portland, OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,514,549 times
Reputation: 8778
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
All these cities are liberal, but not just liberal but annoying liberal

like this....
and like this (she's in Eugene, actually):

http://images.bimedia.net/images/110...t_of_store.jpg

Minneapolis's only similarity to Portland is that they are river towns. In every other way, it is similar to Seattle. Minneapolis and Seattle have a strong Scandinavian identity that dominates the social code. That is not the case in Portland. It's more about who is old Portland and can trace back ties to the Lewis and Clark expedition, and the city's old families, and create a "good old boy" system accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,524,214 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
and like this (she's in Eugene, actually):

http://images.bimedia.net/images/110...t_of_store.jpg

Minneapolis's only similarity to Portland is that they are river towns. In every other way, it is similar to Seattle. Minneapolis and Seattle have a strong Scandinavian identity that dominates the social code. That is not the case in Portland. It's more about who is old Portland and can trace back ties to the Lewis and Clark expedition, and the city's old families, and create a "good old boy" system accordingly.
River towns + abundance of granola hipsters. Other than that, I guess I agree. The Scandinavian roots do seem to lend to an egalitarian social outlook in both places...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,524,214 times
Reputation: 1499
I'm starting to get a little tired of these "Minneapolis/Seattle" "Minneapolis/Portland" and "Portland/Seattle" threads. They are all so incredibly distinct that I don't know why we have to endlessly compare them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM
 
136 posts, read 181,824 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I'm starting to get a little tired of these "Minneapolis/Seattle" "Minneapolis/Portland" and "Portland/Seattle" threads. They are all so incredibly distinct that I don't know why we have to endlessly compare them...
At the very minimum that could be said about all three is that they all are liberal. Though, the question is which is the most liberal one of them all? Least liberal of the liberal three?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,077,579 times
Reputation: 1651
Neither
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: MN
3,795 posts, read 8,147,676 times
Reputation: 1809
Minneapolis has a lot of really nice mountain views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top