Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised NYC and Philly aren't one CSA yet since NYC is starting to take some of Philly's suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Annapolis is part of the Baltimore Metro. I've heard people from there say that the city is about even with both Ravens and Redskins' fans.
I guess that's why I asked. Because my friend is from Annapolis and he considers himself to be from the D.C. area (he roots exclusively for Washington teams, his dad works in DC and he's more familiar with DC than Baltimore). On the other hand, he may be an exception because he grew up in PG County before he moved to Annapolis.

I'd have to ask the other people I know from Annapolis. I know at least a couple others are Redskins fans as well.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I guess that's why I asked. Because my friend is from Annapolis and he considers himself to be from the D.C. area (he roots exclusively for Washington teams, his dad works in DC and he's more familiar with DC than Baltimore). On the other hand, he may be an exception because he grew up in PG County before he moved to Annapolis.

I'd have to ask the other people I know from Annapolis. I know at least a couple others are Redskins fans as well.
I'm guessing Annapolis is split on what city they associate more with, but AA County's other large population center is right outside of Baltimore's city limits. Since AA County borders Baltimore City, I would say that more people in the County as a whole would align itself more with Baltimore.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
These days, the core is in overdrive trying to find its rightful place as the city center of a metropolitan region of nearly 18 million people. (That’s right – just four million fewer than in the Tri-State Area.)

- NEW YORK POST NEWSPAPER

Los Angeles is the future - NYPOST.com
CSA's are real and they are acknowledged by many, myself included.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I'm glad you were being real because it saved me the work of having to say it.

You're spot on, Stockton and Modesto are to the SF Bay Area or are becoming to the SF Bay Area as Riverside and San Bernardino are to LA. Monterey Bay Area/Salinas/Santa Cruz is becoming to the SF Bay Area what Oxnard/Thousand Oaks/Ventura became to LA. The census will identify this next year when they throw in Stockton with the SF Bay Area and eventually Modesto and the remainder of the Monterey Bay Area because we already have Santa Cruz. That will put the SF Bay Area's population at the same as Chicagoland and their land areas equal for all intents and purposes. The commuter belt already exists as do the commuters, the designation we will have to wait for. That's our "CSA" because San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose are already seamlessly one with one another, even the UN recognizes that.

Without adding Stockton and Modesto the bay as it sits now will have 8,419,090 by the dawn of the next census. By 2020 the bay will be closer to Baltimore/DC and Chicago with 9,768,619. Even without Modesto the bay will break 9 million by the next census if the trends hold with 9,213,476 because Stockton is ready to be added.

DC and Baltimore by the dawn of the next census will sit at 10,024,091 if the trends hold. The bay, DC, and Chicago will be peers in more than just GMP but also their size by the wake of the next census if these trends hold steady.
The CSA combination for Stockton and Modesto is contingent on whether the census considers SF-SJ one MSA or not, because if they aren't, they won't because some commuters go to SF MSA and some go to SJ MSA.

Even if it isn't added, it really has little to no real world effect. It's just something people like to brag about sometimes. People will still commute from San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties, and most people in the Bay Area will consider their area as one entity, no matter what any government entity says.

There are plenty of areas in the US like this as well that get the shaft, which is where much of the grievance of Philadelphia posters come from. However, it doesn't change any real world realities concerning any place that you live in.

I love this appeal to the federal government as some ultimate source that makes no mistakes. I'm guessing none of you guys have never filed a federal income tax return and got shortchanged before.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
actually I would say as for interconnected... Ogden -Salt Lake City -Provo CSA is probably the most interconnected.. you're talking about a very homogeneous area centered around a small city proper 180,000 Salt Lake city... but 2.2 million in the CSA

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
actually I would say as for interconnected... Ogden -Salt Lake City -Provo CSA is probably the most interconnected.. you're talking about a very homogeneous area centered around a small city proper 180,000 Salt Lake city... but 2.2 million in the CSA
How so? What are the reasons you think it's interconnected?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm surprised NYC and Philly aren't one CSA yet since NYC is starting to take some of Philly's suburbs.
The kicker in it all is that there is a bit of rural area between NYC and Philly but NYC jumps over the rural area in Central Jersey and snatches Mercer and Hunterdon which border Philly. Its the darnest thing.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
How so? What are the reasons you think it's interconnected?
Well, Mormons are all related to each other pretty much...

Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, Mormons are all related to each other pretty much...
Are you serious? I can't imagine you are, but just in case... one half of the world's 14.5 million Mormons are first-generation converts. You want to tell me how likely it is that they're all (or even mostly) related to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City