Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm going with...
Mexico City 23 24.73%
NYC 70 75.27%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
So it seems from this thread that Mexico city is developing while the NYC bashers and Cali homers are trying to convince us that it's a global city???
It's hilarious how intimidated NYers are by other cities.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I agree it is not even close. New York City is often considered top cultural center of the world due to its huge media industry and cultural influence. Not so much in case of Mexico. NYC is also much more diverse than Mexico City.
I guess we define culture differently. Most 3rd and 2nd world cities have huge amounts of culture that make large US cities look like Disney. Having Matt Lauer doing a broadcast from Times Square is not culture.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM

29 posts, read 39,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I guess we define culture differently. Most 3rd and 2nd world cities have huge amounts of culture that make large US cities look like Disney. Having Matt Lauer doing a broadcast from Times Square is not culture.
Ok, then I'll bite.

Having lived many years of my childhood in Mexico City, what culture in Mexico City do you find to be greater and more renowned than Lincoln Center, the Met, Moma, Broadway, the Whitney, Guggenheim, BAM, etc.?

Because Mexico City, even within Mexico, is not really considered a center of traditional Mexican culture. That's Jalisco, primarily. And it's never been a place of tons of high culture. So what exactly are you referring to?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Arbor 02 View Post
This really is a silly comment. You prefer Mexico City because they have better Mexican food?

I don't even understand what that means. Obviously Mexico City has better Mexican food than any city on earth. It makes LA look like Libya in terms of Mexican offerings.

Also, why would you only look at Manhattan when looking at NYC? Are you only looking at downtown Mexico City too? Downtown Mexico City sucks, and has almost no restaurants.
This is absolutely ridiculous that you're cherry picking my points just down to Mexican food and yes I only look at the core 15 miles of Mexico City too. I really don't have an interest in seeing the rest unless it involves historical sites or architecture (like pyramids or the statue of liberty, etc). Of course 'Rovian would blindly come to agreement with you, that is until you start making anti-Chicago posts and then he's going to be on a different side of things.

I simply made my post on two cities that I don't care to live in, which one I would choose to visit for up to 5 days. Yes Mexican food plays a pretty good role in that, I actually love real Mexican food, its spicy and flavorful and it sucks in NYC. Don't spin it any other way because I've never had any good of that in NYC. Yes you're not getting good Japanese food or Chinese or Italian food in Mexico City but what it lacks in those it makes up with its own regional cuisine that I prefer. Of course you wouldn't say anything about what I had to say about weather, which also plays a huge role in my preference of cities, it limits the period of the year I would visit NYC.

As for why I would choose Mexico City, out of preference for not having seen it as much as NYC. No where close to having seen it as much and wanting to see it more.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Arbor 02 View Post
I am Mexican-American, and couldn't disagree more. NYC has FAR more culture than Mexico City. Really only London could compete with NYC's cultural offerings, and I think NYC has even London beat.

What culture in Mexico City are you referring to? The symphony is middling, there is no real professional theater, dance, or opera, there are no globally renowned art museums or anything. There are some well-known artists, but not compared to NYC. Mexico City isn't a global leader in design, architecture, or social movements.

Are you referring to its history as "culture"? Certainly Mexico City has an older documented history, but that's about it. I don't think that's really "culture", though.

Keep in mind that while Mexico City is old, it wasn't very big until the 1970's. In reality, it's a much younger city than most major U.S. cities.
First, what does being Mexican-American have to do with your opinion? Is it supposed to make it more legitimate to the debate? I live in MC, you're in Ann Arbor, Michigan, for god's sake.

Second, Mexico City has more museums than any other city in the world, including NYC. Its anthropology museum alone is considered the best in the world and it's a top tourist destination. There are professional arts, dance, etc. I know, I've seen them.

Mexico City had more than a million people since at least the early 1920s, and that's a large city by any definition. It reached it's mega-city size later, to be sure, but I'm not sure how that matters to the debate. So have many other huge cities around the world. That doesn't somehow remove relevance to current amenities.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
I agree with that. The only thing I can say about New York is that it does have a large mosaic of cultures from elsewhere along with some homegrown bits. There's also a lot of pop culture in the US and around the world that NYC has a large part in, but to us it's not that interesting because it's ever-present.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 PM

370 posts, read 654,142 times
Mexico City wins in terms of culture hands down...no freakin' comparison!
I prefer MX City because the culture is impressive, and I love it because its an ancient city and modern at the same time, how cool is that?!! I love going there....

Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous that you're cherry picking my points just down to Mexican food and yes I only look at the core 15 miles of Mexico City too. I really don't have an interest in seeing the rest unless it involves historical sites or architecture (like pyramids or the statue of liberty, etc). Of course 'Rovian would blindly come to agreement with you, that is until you start making anti-Chicago posts and then he's going to be on a different side of things.

I simply made my post on two cities that I don't care to live in, which one I would choose to visit for up to 5 days. Yes Mexican food plays a pretty good role in that, I actually love real Mexican food, its spicy and flavorful and it sucks in NYC. Don't spin it any other way because I've never had any good of that in NYC. Yes you're not getting good Japanese food or Chinese or Italian food in Mexico City but what it lacks in those it makes up with its own regional cuisine that I prefer. Of course you wouldn't say anything about what I had to say about weather, which also plays a huge role in my preference of cities, it limits the period of the year I would visit NYC.

As for why I would choose Mexico City, out of preference for not having seen it as much as NYC. No where close to having seen it as much and wanting to see it more.
Seriously, scrantix, how foolish do you feel about visiting from California and then trying to look for Mexican food in NYC? Doesn't that sound like you're just wasting time? It's like going to Thailand for burgers. It's nice to have if you live there on occasion, but don't expect too much. As a visitor? It just sounds kind of stupid.

I mean, I do understand what a big draw the food in Mexico City is--it's great, and I can understand a preference for it. But to judge based on specific cuisines and especially when you have other options in NYC where it does a lot better, well, I don't know if you thought out your trip very well.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
On the subject of food, MC is considered the best city for food in North America. Ill take the master of one cuisine over the jack of all trades (but master of none).

Edit: best BY MANY

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-04-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM

29 posts, read 39,454 times
Quote:
First, what does being Mexican-American have to do with your opinion? Is it supposed to make it more legitimate to the debate? I live in MC, you're in Ann Arbor, Michigan, for god's sake.
I mention that I'm a former resident because I can tell people have never been there and are talking out of their behinds (i.e.- Mexico City is hot, Mexico City is centralized, Mexico City has lots of high culture).
Quote:
Second, Mexico City has more museums than any other city in the world, including NYC.
No, it doesn't. It makes this claim, but so do many other cities. They just count everything for the tourist bureau.

And that has nothing to do with culture, as if a Museum of Shoelaces = The Louvre. You don't ascertain cultural weight by counting museums.
Quote:
Its anthropology museum alone is considered the best in the world and it's a top tourist destination. There are professional arts, dance, etc. I know, I've seen them.
The antropology museum is excellent, but isn't considered "the best in the world". It's certainly the best museum in Mexico City, though.

But we're talking about culture. What does a giant museum of artifacts from Mesoamerica have to do with current culture?

So you think Damascus is the world's cultural center because they are the oldest inhabited city, and have tons of artifacts from antiquity? We're talking about the present.

Quote:
Mexico City had more than a million people since at least the early 1920s, and that's a large city by any definition. It reached it's mega-city size later, to be sure, but I'm not sure how that matters to the debate. So have many other huge cities around the world. That doesn't somehow remove relevance to current amenities.
This is true. I agree that the relative size isn't critical. But the point is that Mexico City wasn't a giant city until the 70's, and therefore didn't develop the formal cultural infrastructure until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City