U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: I'm going with...
Mexico City 23 24.73%
NYC 70 75.27%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM

7,780 posts, read 5,058,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's notable, but not a good argument. That's more for preserving and propagating something and doesn't really mean it's better. Just that it's good or interesting. Mind you, I do think Mexican cuisine is one of the most diverse and one of my favorites.
That's not the argument. It's not about being better, it's that it's been recognized as unique, diverse, and important from a cultural and historical standpoint, moreso than any other. That's not to say that it's "better", and certainly doesn't mean people will love it.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

5,636 posts, read 2,660,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It is also one the current most consumed foods in America and generally by people of all demographics and races.

Mexican food like it or not is a very very large part of the American food culture, like pizza or general tso's chicken...

Also there are various types of Mexican food from run of the mill cheap fast food to excellent high end

Now people dont have to like it but its here and here to stay
This is too logical for city-data. On this board, the opinions of one or two random internet posters takes presidence over the actual gastronomic trends in this country.

They don't like Mexican food--that means we all don't like Mexican food.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 5,865,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This is too logical for city-data. On this board, the opinions of one or two random internet posters takes presidence over the actual gastronomic trends in this country.

Best part is they probably do like it and are just saying they don't to give NY a leg up.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM

9,994 posts, read 8,484,109 times
For the record, I love Mexican food. Will probably have it tonight. The DC area has a ton of Mexican restaurants. This thread has made me more interested in visiting Mexico City and checking out the real thing sometime and all the variety you get there. I'll say that much.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,409,572 times
Quote:

What's funny is that a discussion of American Mexican food or the popularity of Mexican food in the US doesn't even need to be part of this thread. I mean could've sworn we were talking about Mexico City a second ago on here... It's as if someone commenting on a thread about Chicago vs. Bangkok decided to go on and on about how they absolutely hate the pad thai noodles they've eaten in Pittsburgh...

Another thing is that if you've eaten average Mexican food in America--you don't neccesariliy have any idea what people eat and what's available in Mexico City.

A lot of people aren't even trying to make the case that Mexico City is somehow superior to New York City or more important or "world-class"--but for some of us who've actually, you know--been to both New York City and Mexico City, it's kind of an interesting comparison--and it's nice to hear some things about a city like Mexico City that for such a large, prominent city(and close to the US) is somewhat underrated and off the radar for Americans.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A lot of people aren't even trying to make the case that Mexico City is somehow superior to New York City or more important or "world-class"--but for some of us who've actually, you know--been to both New York City and Mexico City, it's kind of an interesting comparison--and it's nice to hear some things about a city like Mexico City that for such a large, prominent city(and close to the US) is somewhat underrated and off the radar for Americans.
Which is why I abstained from voting - it has been really interesting to hear the few people on this board who actually live in DF (or lived, or visited extensively) give some pretty detailed comparisons. Would love to see more pictures of Mexico City.

I can say this, I now really, really want to go to Mexico City for my next trip abroad (probably not going to be the next one though, other places are higher up on the list).

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,063,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No, the first two sentences in this post are absurd.

I'm not sure I'd say Mexican is the most popular type of food in the US, but it is certainly up there with Italian and Chinese. I mean, what do you think is the most popular cuisine in the US? Seems like everyone I know - black, white, Latin, Asian - at least enjoys Mexican cuisine. Some like it more authentic than others, though, that is for sure.
American. Isn't that obvious? did you think that an average American family makes tacos and burritos for dinner?

Last edited by rebel12; 10-05-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
American. Isn't that obvious?
Yes.

Should have said ethnic cuisine.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,409,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Which is why I abstained from voting - it has been really interesting to hear the few people on this board who actually live in DF (or lived, or visited extensively) give some pretty detailed comparisons. Would love to see more pictures of Mexico City.

I can say this, I now really, really want to go to Mexico City for my next trip abroad (probably not going to be the next one though, other places are higher up on the list).
Yeah, I never bother voting on these threads anyways these days.

I'll say this much--I'd probably rather live in New York than Mexico City for a variety of reasons. The only thing that would really hold me back from New York is the price and whether I could find a job. However for a vacation(or maybe even just an adventurous year abroad), I'd probably pick Mexico City over New York. It's just a fascinating place in a lot of ways--you have neighborhoods that feel like Buenos Aires or a European city, you have giant Spanish colonial buildings from the 16th Century, you have artsy bohemian neighborhoods on the outskirts like Coyacan that look like old colonial Mexican towns and you have wealthy modern areas that could even pass for Los Angeles. You're just an hour away from a lot more traditional cities in Mexico or volcanoes and mountain scenery or silver mining hill cities like Taxco. And there's other neighborhoods in between all that that aren't that great(or even unsafe), but that's just part of the reality of it being such an immense city in a quickly developing country.

New York is great and on many levels there's just far more high-end cultural attractions and more of a diverse international mix there, and I love going back there to visit. But I still feel like I have a lot to explore in Mexico City and there's even more in the surrounding area. Everytime I've gone to Mexico City with someone who's never been before, people always remark how it's amazing that it seem like not many Americans have much interest in visiting it. Just the Centro Historico and the pyramids of Teotihuacan on the outskirts alone are pretty amazing as places to see, yet most people would rather just go to the safe tourist places like Cancun--or even spend for a expensive flight to Europe rather than visiting a place that a basically a very affordable and short flight away from a lot of US cities.

After five trips to Mexico City(a couple times there for over a week) I'm not going to pretend I understand the day to day reality of living there--but from my travels there, I have to say it's a place I'm particularly fascinated by.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
Easy there, J. Edgar Booster. Just because some of us don't live in NYC's shorts the way you do, doesn't make us traitors to our flag and country.
Seriously that's hilarious.

National loyalty? LOLOLOLOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City