Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most famous street in America
Broadway 100 28.25%
Wall Street 158 44.63%
5th Avenue 19 5.37%
Hollywood Blvd 26 7.34%
Sunset Blvd 12 3.39%
Rodeo Drive 11 3.11%
Pennsylvania Ave 28 7.91%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times

Advertisements

Wall Street...Although "infamous" may be the more apt term today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times
I think it has to be either Broadway or Wall Street. In the past it may be have been Broadway, but I think the financial crisis has really pushed "Wall Street" to the top b/c of its use as shorthand for the financial industry.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
What clout do you think streets with movie names have? And not just run of the mill movies but great movies like Sunset Boulevard & Wall Street.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Wall Street is famous for what it represents, not the street itself. It's like picking Abbey Road as the most famous street in London. Technically it's true, but...
Well, what's your alternative rubric then? Streets that don't represent anything? In which case, I'm not sure why they would be famous. Doesn't the fact that the street becomes a shorthand for something else entirely an indication of how famous it is?

Also, if it makes it better for you, people actually do work on Wall Street and it's also a very common destination for visitors to take a look at, take some pictures, etc. It's not like people don't actually know there's a Wall Street in New York City.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, what's your alternative rubric then? Streets that don't represent anything? In which case, I'm not sure why they would be famous. Doesn't the fact that the street becomes a shorthand for something else entirely an indication of how famous it is?

Also, if it makes it better for you, people actually do work on Wall Street and it's also a very common destination for visitors to take a look at, take some pictures, etc. It's not like people don't actually know there's a Wall Street in New York City.
I don't have an alternative criteria because I don't care. All I'm saying is that Wall Street is far more well known as a shorthand for the financial industry than the street itself. It wins on a technicality, but it doesn't in anyway compare to a 5th Avenue, which is well known for what it contains along its length (ESB, Rockafeller Center, the high end shops, The Met, etc.).

It does make me feel better that people work there though. The folks who lost everything (at their hands) should be so lucky.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I don't have an alternative criteria because I don't care. All I'm saying is that Wall Street is far more well known as a shorthand for the financial industry than the street itself. It wins on a technicality, but it doesn't in anyway compare to a 5th Avenue, which is well known for what it contains along its length (ESB, Rockafeller Center, the high end shops, The Met, etc.).

It does make me feel better that people work there though. The folks who lost everything (at their hands) should be so lucky.
Too many Americans think extremely short term. The stock market is right back up near record highs right now.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,399 times
Route 66?
Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:00 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Another Nomination for Tier 2:

Telegraph Avenue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in Berkeley, CA

If rural roads count, how about the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Southeast?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:00 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
The Las Vegas Strip is pretty famous...

Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Streets / Roads that immediately come to mind:

Broadway (NYC)
Madison Avenue (NYC)
Wall Street (NYC)
Bowery and Bleeker Streets (NYC)
Fremont Street (Vegas)
Pacific Coast Highway - PCH- (Various towns, California)
Highway 9 (New Jersey [and actually Broadway into upstate NY])
State Street (Chicago)
Michigan Ave (Chicago)
Beale Street (Memphis)
Bourbon Street (NO)
Pennsylvania Avenue (DC)
Lombard Street (SF)
Santa Monica Boulevard (LA and environs)
Mullholland Drive (LA)
Rodeo Drive (LA)
Peachtree Street (Atlanta)
Kelley Drive (Philadelphia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City