U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,396,280 times

Advertisements

Who's better in your opinion?

Here's a few categories to vote on...

1)Shopping
2)Entertainment/Nightlife
3)Dining
4)History/Culture
5)Downtown areas
6)Schools
7)Diversity
8)Crime/Bad Areas/Safety
9)Overall quality of life
10)Transportation

If you've experienced or lived in either place, I'd like to see your opinions on each category or whichever category you want to compare. Thanks!

P.s. - I've lived in both places and there are some similarities I've seen such as the Waterford Lakes area in Orlando. I bet people in Orlando wouldn't have thought they would have thier own Waterford Lakes kind of area up in Nashville in the Mt. Juliet area called Providence. So, go on and let us know what you think of each Metro and what you might not have known as we compare the 2 areas.

Last edited by JMT; 10-08-2012 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: No skyline comparisons, please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM

35,887 posts, read 33,922,387 times
1)Shopping: Orlando
2)Entertainment/Nightlife: I'd say Nashville if you're into music and Orlando otherwise.
3)Dining: Not sure, but would guess Orlando.
4)History/Culture: Nashville
5)Skyline/Downtown areas: Nashville
6)Schools: For higher ed, definitely Nashville
7)Diversity: Orlando
8)Crime/Bad Areas/Safety: Not sure
9)Overall quality of life: Depends on what you like; they aren't too far off.
10)Transportation: Not sure

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM

1) Orlando (but the Cool Springs area in Nashville is something Orlando doesn't have)
2) Tie (Orlando for variety, Nashville for all the free live music)
3) Nashville (because of the amout of mom n pop places compared to Orlando)
4) Nashville
5) Nashville (more of a city feel plus great architecture)
6) Nashville (Schools seem safer overall here in Nashville, plus there are more options for higher learning than Orlando)
7) Orlando
8) Nashville (Orlando has more high crime areas and areas that anything can happen even though crime isn't high, but in Nashville it's more of a stay in the right area and you will be ok mentality. There are bad areas in both places though, so I wouldn't recomend people from either area to go 'compare' bad areas thinking something won't happen to them)
9) Nashville (People are much nicer in general here which leads to less unnecessary stress plus jobs are easier to come by here and rents are lower)
10) Orlando

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
1)Shopping: Orlando
2)Entertainment/Nightlife: I'd say Nashville if you're into music and Orlando otherwise.
3)Dining: Not sure, but would guess Orlando.
4)History/Culture: Nashville
5)Skyline/Downtown areas: Nashville
6)Schools: For higher ed, definitely Nashville
7)Diversity: Orlando
8)Crime/Bad Areas/Safety: Not sure
9)Overall quality of life: Depends on what you like; they aren't too far off.
10)Transportation: Not sure
Thanks for your votes, Seems like we agree on everything except the categories you weren't sure about...Have you been to or lived in either place?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM

I would say the two areas also have this in common...Most people who have never lived in or been to one or the other probably wouldn't have expected each city to be the way they had envisioned before they visited. That was my experience after moving to each area. I guess it's because each area is so well known for specific things. Orlando for toursim and the theme parks and Nashville for the music industry, but there is a lot more to both areas than people would think from my experience living in both places.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 AM

35,887 posts, read 33,922,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Thanks for your votes, Seems like we agree on everything except the categories you weren't sure about...Have you been to or lived in either place?
Visited, never lived.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,768,314 times
Both cities have way too much crime that the cops don't report.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 AM

289 posts, read 363,356 times
Both are beautiful area's of the country. Orlando is way too spread out though. For anyone who travels a lot for work getting to the airport is a pain, getting through security there has actually been my worst experience in the whole country. My last trip to Orlando involved me having to talk to the head of TSA after I was pulled out of a line and a tweenager tried pushing me into a scanner without my consent. That's kind of been my whole impression of Orlando; service levels I'd expect teenaged employees to provide at tourist destinations. I'd go Nashville in a heartbeat.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM

8,963 posts, read 7,543,271 times
1)Shopping O
2)Entertainment/Nightlife O
3)Dining O
4)History/Culture N
5)Downtown areas N
6)Schools Unsure
7)Diversity O
8)Crime/Bad Areas/Safety I think it really depends on where in the city. Both could be better.
9)Overall quality of life N
10)Transportation N

Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
Lived in both, Nashville wins without a doubt. There is not much of a scene for younger people in Orlando. In my opinion, Orlando seemed very crime-ridden, save the touristy areas in SE Orange County. I've spent time in East Orange County (i.e., the UCF area) and lived in various parts of the Nashville metro area. It is difficult to compare these two cities on such a simple metric as those listed. Some will prefer Orlando for the weather and diversity, but Nashville has significantly more to offer in terms of culture and overall quality of life.

-Orlando probably "wins" for shopping, but there are numerous adequate shopping venues in Nashville. The only downside to Nashville might be the lack of very high-end stores.

-As for entertainment, I consider Orlando's downtown a complete dump, there is nothing there other than a bunch of nasty people trying to act like they're from New Jersey or that Orlando is NYC. The other half or Orlando's nightlife, spread throughout the non-downtown areas, is either packed with tourists, college students, or an unsavory crowd. Nashville's nightlife is highly diversified. While downtown is quite touristy (especially on Broadway and 2nd Ave N), there are many other areas with so many different scenes and vibes (for example, consider the difference between East Nashville [Five Points area] versus Music Row/Division/Broadway). Both have pockets of high-end places (Orlando-Restaurant Row, Park Ave; Nashville-Green Hills, some spread throughout West End/Downtown)

-Dining is highly variable on what one prefers. Orlando has MANY chains (some with a few locations in select US cities) and a lot of fast food, while Nashville has a highly local scene with a lot of chains and fast food, too. Personally, I prefer the Nashville scene as the non-chain vibe is much stronger and more respected (Catbird Seat, Husk, hot chicken joints); however, there are a few places in Orlando I like, but they are spread throughout the metro area (Sanford, Winter Park, Orlando). Both have plenty of cheap eats, but again, on this front, Nashville is more solid.

-Nashville is much older than Orlando, and thus, has much more history. I do not think anyone can rightfully claim Orlando's history attractions and the like as better than Nashville's. Orlando does not have much history except for a few streets and sections (such as Eatonville and a few parts around downtown Orlando). Nashville has many historical sites in the area (The Hermitage, Civil War battlefields, old plantations). As for culture, this might depend on the person. I found Orlando's culture to be very lacking, very few concerts, museums, and cultural elements outside of the tourist areas. Nashville's culture is obviously focused on music (not just country). To this end, music abounds on any night, often for free. The venues for concerts are smaller and more numerous in Nashville. Along these lines, Nashville is much more "offbeat" than Orlando, with many artisans and a surprisingly diverse artist scene for "the south."

-The downtown areas were discussed early, but Orlando's downtown is a joke. It's trashy. Nashville's downtown is focused on many tourist, but there's also areas that are not. Nashville's skyline is way better than Orlando and the overall vibe is so much better in Nashville than Orlando.

-Schools. I've attended schools in both, but at different levels. Nashville's schools were much more focused on academics, whereas Orlando's were more focused on other elements of life. UCF pails in comparison academically to Vanderbilt, and the other schools in Nashville (Belmont, Lipscomb, TSU) offer many more opportunities than the scant offerings in Orlando (Rollins and Full Sail). Primary schools might be more of a toss-up, but Nashville definitely has some very strong public schools (Hume-Fogg and MLK), while educational opportunities might be more equitable in Orlando with less stand-out schools. Nashville wins, overall.

-Orlando is much more diverse than Nashville. Nashville has pockets of diversity, but Orlando is much more diverse, on the whole. Orlando attracts people from all over the globe. Orlando's diversity is also much more uniform, while Nashville's diversity is much more isolated (mostly SE Nashville). Orlando clearly wins on the diversity front.

-I've only lived in one section of Orlando, but I've always felt much safer overall in Nashville. The crime in Orlando seems spread throughout many areas. In Nashville, crime is focused in a few areas, but that does not mean there are not issues in areas perceived to be "safe." The Orlando area has many unmaintained neighborhoods and even "nice" areas are riddled with crime. Nashville's crime sticks primarily to the inner-city neighborhoods, with a few pockets in the suburbs. Both downtowns have suffered from violence, although, Orlando's has suffered from more significant violence. Orlando's tourist areas always seemed safe to me, but I always felt I could be the victim of crime (East Orlando). Outside of the known areas, Nashville's crime seemed less severe. As for visiting, Orlando might be perceived as "safer," but I'd give Nashville the leg-up. Orlando has a lot of known crime issues that are not being resolved, while Nashville is taking steps.

-As for quality of life, a person would have to decide for themselves. Orlando's weather and tourist attractions obviously appeal to a certain demographic, while Nashville's seasons, culture, and terrain has a different set of appeals. Jobs are much more numerous and higher-paying in Nashville versus Orlando. Each are in reach of other cities. Orlando is close to many of the major Florida cities and the coast (a plus), while Nashville is close to a lot of cities in the Midwest and Southeast and the mountains. As for outdoors, it would depend on whether one prefers the coast and springs to hills and lakes. I prefer the seasons and hiking opportunities in Nashville (Orlando has NO hiking), so Nashville wins.

-Traffic is not great in either city, but Nashville does not have toll roads and a more adequate highway system, albeit with potholes. The rush hour is probably better in Orlando, as most aren't working traditional hours. I find Nashville's drivers to be calmer but faster, while Orlando's are more aggressive and crash much more frequently. Public transportation in each is a moot point, both are abysmal. The MTA and Lynx are a joke, as are the Music City Star and Sunrail. Neither are advocated by residents nor are they utilized. The Orlando airport has many more flights and is easier to access the globe, while Nashville is smaller and easier to navigate. Parking is significantly better and cheaper in Orlando. It can be difficult to find parking in Nashville that is not a rip-off. Orlando has a lot of big lots or parking decks, while Nashville has more on-street parking and small lots. Personally, I prefer Nashville's transportation setup, but Orlando does have many things going for it.

Nashville clearly wins given my analysis, but Orlando does have some selling points. The Nashville area has so much more energy and that's what I prefer. Orlando always seems so much more volatile to outside effects, while Nashville maintains a stronger identity. Anyone can poke holes in my opinions, but that's acceptable, as these are purely personal opinions and not based on empirical data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City