Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Houston 56 42.75%
Atlanta 75 57.25%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
1. However, I've had more than a few friends that have attended SCAD and they have all said that The Woodruff Arts Center is the best thing smoking in the South in terms of arts.
your friends deceived you on this front. Houston has a strong showing in a variety of fine art fields and is above all others in the South. Houston has a high Concentration of fine art, and the galleries are well patronized (for the South).

While the Woodruff Center is excellent. It is but one Campus.

Houston has whole Art Districts with award winning performances and a Museum District that always showcases the Finest art shows hosted in the US.

The Alley Theater in Houston Blows away the Alliance at the Woodruff
The Houston Symphony blows away the Atlanta Symphony
The Museum of Fine Art Houston Blows away the High
ATL does come close to Houston in Ballet or Opera

Both Cities have quality, but Houston has quality and quantity. You would be surprised by how many plays, Opera perfomances, etc that went on to be national hits, but had their World Premiere in Houston first.
Houston Grand Opera is the only Opera house in the world to win Tony's, Grammys AND Emmys.

The Houston Ballet is the 4th largest in the US. It has one of the largest Endowments. The Ballet's Center for Dance is the largest of its kind in the US. The Houston Ballet has premiered many Worldwide hits. They have travelled abroad and been televised in China, etc

I dunno but whomever told you that the Woodruff is the best thing Smoking in the South clearly meant only the South Atlantic region of the US. Houston wins the South on Fine Art.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 PM

4,418 posts, read 6,230,778 times
Quote:
1. As far as arts go, I'm honestly not into that scene at all, so I cannot make that determination. However, I've had more than a few friends that have attended SCAD and they have all said that The Woodruff Arts Center is the best thing smoking in the South in terms of arts. Anything outside of this in regards to arts, I know nothing about. (And no one in the Southeast that I know of considers Texas to be Southern FYI)

2. In terms of culinary options, I'd say it's a toss up. Houston has a much more pronounced hold in food from south of the border, but Atlanta has a stronghold on the Southern cuisine. Outside out that, they seem to be fairly even matched IMHO. I cannot recall Houston having anything quite like Buford Highway but then again, I was only in Houston for 3.5 months and I've never explored the entire region.

3. See #1. I'm not into this. Don't judge me

4. I honestly have to give this one to Atlanta. It definitely true that it takes Lenox & Phipps combined to match the Galleria but outside of this, Atlanta is a shoppers paradise. Houston offers virtually everything a person could or would need BUT Atlanta is a much more fashion forward city and people like to play dress up more in Atlanta than in Houston. Atlanta and Dallas walk on the same wavelength in regards to fashion and their frequency is a bit higher than Houston's IMO. It's funny because I just started a thread the other day talking about Upscale shopping districts and I have yet to hear Atlanta or Houston mentioned. Lol

5. I hate to sound like a homer, but the answer to this question is painfully obvious to anyone that has spent a considerable amount of time in either city. Atlanta is full of festivals and the cool thing about living in Atlanta is the fact that you have each neighborhood doing their own thing. Kirkwood has their little festivals, as do L5P, and Midtown, and ViHi. Then there are things that Atlanta as a whole does.

I will ask this question though, which is completely off topic but since we're comparing Houston & Atlanta I figured I'd point out something that has confused me for years...

How is it possible for Houston and Atlanta to be smaller than Dallas but they both feel larger than Dallas?

I'm sorry, I find it crazy that Dallas has a city as large as Fort Worth for a neighbor, while Houston and Atlanta stand alone but they easily outdo Dallas.

umm....

Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,497,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Subjective. Perhaps it would be easier to argue that Houston by itself could outdo Dallad by itself, but Atlanta? I would say that's more of a draw. Atlanta would but Dallas on the arts, but Dallas by itself is certainly more diverse than Atlanta by itself and I find Dallas and Atlanta to be a draw on food. Atlanta with an edge on fine dining but Dallas has more ethnic cuisine options.
Please go back and re-read what I wrote. I said nothing about comparing arts and retail. I simply said that Houston and Atlanta FEEL larger than Dallas. I know it's subjective but that's what I wrote. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
[/b]

umm....
And it's funny that you use that emoticon because that's exactly how I felt when I was there. Dallas is the 4th largest MSA in the country. But I guess I should mention, Miami feels larger than all of 3. Care to disagree with me again?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
your friends deceived you on this front. Houston has a strong showing in a variety of fine art fields and is above all others in the South. Houston has a high Concentration of fine art, and the galleries are well patronized (for the South).

While the Woodruff Center is excellent. It is but one Campus.

Houston has whole Art Districts with award winning performances and a Museum District that always showcases the Finest art shows hosted in the US.

The Alley Theater in Houston Blows away the Alliance at the Woodruff
The Houston Symphony blows away the Atlanta Symphony
The Museum of Fine Art Houston Blows away the High
ATL does come close to Houston in Ballet or Opera

Both Cities have quality, but Houston has quality and quantity. You would be surprised by how many plays, Opera perfomances, etc that went on to be national hits, but had their World Premiere in Houston first.
Houston Grand Opera is the only Opera house in the world to win Tony's, Grammys AND Emmys.

The Houston Ballet is the 4th largest in the US. It has one of the largest Endowments. The Ballet's Center for Dance is the largest of its kind in the US. The Houston Ballet has premiered many Worldwide hits. They have travelled abroad and been televised in China, etc

I dunno but whomever told you that the Woodruff is the best thing Smoking in the South clearly meant only the South Atlantic region of the US. Houston wins the South on Fine Art.
I also said that I don't think they considered Houston as be apart of the South. No one that I know does, honestly. Again, I know nothing about arts and museums so I take y'alls word for it.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Please go back and re-read what I wrote. I said nothing about comparing arts and retail. I simply said that Houston and Atlanta FEEL larger than Dallas. I know it's subjective but that's what I wrote. Nothing more, nothing less.
Fair enough, I both agree and disagree. Really just depends on the area.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Fair enough, I both agree and disagree. Really just depends on the area.
See, I think we could possibly be friends. Never though I'd say that about a Texan until now.

*And that's not a diss to Texas either. Simply a joke.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
See, I think we could possibly be friends. Never though I'd say that about a Texan until now.

*And that's not a diss to Texas either. Simply a joke.
Haha, I'm an adoptive Texan. California is my home state. Hope you can be friends with a Californian!

Texans are a proud lot, but then again so are Californians, Southerners, and New Yorkers. It's all good until someone starts trash talking.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:03 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,147,186 times
This is quite an...interesting thread. LOL

Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 AM

799 posts, read 1,027,346 times
Quote:
I think that Fort Worth has a lot to do with Dallas feeling smaller than Atlanta or Houston. Fort Worth is #16 in city population. And Fort Worth is not lacking in amenities. There's Bass Performance Hall, Sundance Square, several theaters, and the stockyards. Dallas does seem to have progressed farther than Ft. Worth, and is more progressive of the two, but Ft. Worth has a Western feel and could be considered a gateway to the West. If you want to truly experience Dallas, you also have to go to Ft. Worth or else you are missing out on A LOT of what the Metroplex has to offer. Hell, you even should go to Arlington. The Cowboys and Rangers play there, the original Six Flags is there as well as Hurricane Harbor water park. Atlanta and Houston are not competing against Dallas; they are competing against DFW.

Didn't mean to derail the thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City