Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Houston 56 42.75%
Atlanta 75 57.25%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Justme02 is right to say there is no way to definitely prove the points, but it's silly to say that Houston has more "ethnic" offerings than Atlanta than Atlanta. That might have been true 10 or 15 years ago, but not today. A trip up and down Buford alone would disprove that quite quickly.
Im not sure what Im arguing is that Houston has things that Atlanta doesnt. I dont think thats true at all. You can get any kind of ethnic cuisine in Atlanta no doubt. The point I was trying to make (perhaps rather poorly) would be that the amount of options is going to be greater in Houston vs. Atlanta when talking about ethnic cuisine.

By the way, if it makes you feel any better I cant stand Filipino food so I wouldnt feel too bad for missing out on that. My friends in California used to have to drag me by the fine hairs to get me to eat that with them.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
I haven't voted. Of the things you can quantify like museums, operas, ballets, theater, symphonies those are an edge to Houston but none of that really matters as much for day to day living and both cities offer a good amount off culture to sustain their populations. You wont be missing out on any tasty food in either, or any temples, foreign movie theaters, cultural events, and so on and so forth.

I don't think either is devoid of anything for that matter.

Just so ridiculous.

No one should be jealous of anywhere.

Here's the graph from my photo album on City-Data, courtesy of the US Census Bureau

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...pic94174-a.bmp
+1

On at least item #2 of the OP (2. A plethora of restaurants specializing in various ethnic cuisines. Shops and groceries stores are also emphasized.), Atlanta and Houston have parity. Sure, there are differences in the make up the various communities, to say that in either you will have a hard time or one is better than the other in that regard is just silly. Both are huge ethnic melting pots with lots of options.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im not sure what Im arguing is that Houston has things that Atlanta doesnt. I dont think thats true at all. You can get any kind of ethnic cuisine in Atlanta no doubt. The point I was trying to make (perhaps rather poorly) would be that the amount of options is going to be greater in Houston vs. Atlanta when talking about ethnic cuisine.
Yeah, I have to disagree with that. The only one I would say is true would be on Vietnamese offerings, but that's only due to huge disparity in population size between Houston and Atlanta (the same could be said with Koreans and Atlanta). Even then, there are at least two dozen Vietnamese restaurants and grocery stores within 5 minutes of my house. There's not lack of options.

Quote:
By the way, if it makes you feel any better I cant stand Filipino food so I wouldnt feel too bad for missing out on that. My friends in California used to have to drag me by the fine hairs to get me to eat that with them.
Dude I wish it were that simple. One, I used to live in Manila so I often crave for it, and two my wife is Pinay so I can't stop hearing about it. For my own sanity I wish we had a lot more Filipino restaurants than we do.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have to disagree with that. The only one I would say is true would be on Vietnamese offerings, but that's only due to huge disparity in population size between Houston and Atlanta (the same could be said with Koreans and Atlanta). Even then, there are at least two dozen Vietnamese restaurants and grocery stores within 5 minutes of my house. There's not lack of options.
No doubt there is no lack of options in Atlanta.

The first part of your post, were just going to have to agree to disagree on.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Have you lost your mind???

Atlanta nor Houston nor any other city should be jealous of the others. I have yet to meet one person from Atlanta thats actually jealous of Houston and if I do, Ill probably kick their a**. Same goes for people in Houston being jealous of Atlanta.

You need to stop talking s**t.
It wasn't even directed towards you. Mutiny77 said I was jealous of Atlanta so I told him/her that he/she should be jealous of Houston. I said this to get back.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Someone brought up Buford Highway, but that's the thing: huge chunks of Houston are BuHwy.

True, there's no universally agreed upon way to quantify "better", but, again, when you ask those individuals who are truly familiar with both cities, Houston will be given the edge in restaurants; plain and simple.

Hell, forget about ethnic cuisine. Regional cuisine is where Houston trumps Atlanta even more: Tex-Mex, variations of BBQ, typical southern fare, Cajun, and our coastal location gives us access to excellent seafood. Atlanta doesn't have that regional diversity.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Someone brought up Buford Highway, but that's the thing: huge chunks of Houston are BuHwy.

True, there's no universally agreed upon way to quantify "better", but, again, when you ask those individuals who are truly familiar with both cities, Houston will be given the edge in restaurants; plain and simple.
Hell, forget about ethnic cuisine. Regional cuisine is where Houston trumps Atlanta even more: Tex-Mex, variations of BBQ, typical southern fare, Cajun, and our coastal location gives us access to excellent seafood. Atlanta doesn't have that regional diversity.
Budford HWY is known because its dense with many restaurants and its a major thoroughfare that runs through 4 counties and several cities.It is not the only area in where you can find diverse offerings.

I agree that Houston beats Atlanta in seafood offerings.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Budford HWY is known because its dense with many restaurants and its a major thoroughfare that runs through 4 counties and several cities.It is not the only area in where you can find diverse offerings.

I agree that Houston beats Atlanta in seafood offerings.
Wow. Agreeing to the obvious fact that Houston has better seafood than Atlanta. I bet that was hard for you to do.

I lived in Atlanta. I know where the offerings are found, but they do not measure up to what Houston has.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I lived in Atlanta. I know where the offerings are found, but they do not measure up to what Houston has.
1. You "lived" in Atlanta, but your experience may not match up with the current state. There has been quite the explosion of "ethnic" offerings (I really hate that term), not just on Buford Highway (but especially) all across the city in the last 5 years. If you are basing this off of knowledge from say even 10 years ago, it's a totally different game now.

2. Can we get some examples here rather than just the "everyone knows" that keeps getting thrown around. All I hear so far is a lot of talk and chest beating.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
1. You "lived" in Atlanta, but your experience may not match up with the current state. There has been quite the explosion of "ethnic" offerings (I really hate that term), not just on Buford Highway (but especially) all across the city in the last 5 years. If you are basing this off of knowledge from say even 10 years ago, it's a totally different game now.

2. Can we get some examples here rather than just the "everyone knows" that keeps getting thrown around. All I hear so far is a lot of talk and chest beating.
I moved back to Houston from Atlanta in the summer of last year. If you can honestly tell me there's been a game-changing shift in the restaurant scene there over the past few months, I'll believe you, but I've never heard anything about it.

I don't think anywhere here is saying that Atlanta is lacking in good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City