Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

Something tells me that Houston, San Antonio/Austin corridor and New Orleans are the cities to watch in the future,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
An immigrant hub for sure. Large natural increaser too.

The migrant hub? Nahhh. I don't think I could agree with that honestly. Austin & Dallas each get 40,000 migrants to Houston's 21,000. So that's about double. So in 10 years that's 210,000 migrants in Houston to the 1,256,000 that it grows in 10 years. Sort of a non-factor number in my opinion.

Atlanta was formerly 40,000 and Miami is now about 40,000. Both cases being double.

Yeahhhhh. Dallas is something like 30,000 per year and Houston is 35,000 per year. Over 10 ten years that's 300,000 & 350,000. Not dramatically different at all.

Ehhh, I feel like it's deserved. Makes me cringe when their comeback to everything is "yall yall moving here in droves yall" and they say it exactly like that give or take one or two "yalls" (LOLOLOL).

Check this out, this time this dude didn't use the word "droves" but they usually do: http://www.city-data.com/forum/25989329-post263.html

Dude, it's like their comeback to everything!
Random dude: Hey, Houston lacks a Minuti coffee shop.
Houston dude: Yall are moving here in droves yall! We don't need no Minuti!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Honestly its kind of annoying because it's not true. Houston's growth is primarily fueled by natural increase, a healthy amount of immigration, & a small amount of everything else. Whereas you have Miami or Dallas that have heealthy numbers of natural increase, migration, & immigration. It's balanced but their boosters aren't really annoying with the "yall yall moving here in droves yall", thing like the Houston boosters.

Then you have Metro Matt over in the other thread saying things that make the sky look neonic purple.

For the record, I actually do like Houston. The homers from there though, ehhhhh.
Before you blow a load, realize that those TAMU numbers always get revised. The Census overestimated areas like DFW, Atlanta, and Austin last decade. Turns out, Houston was the fastest growing officially. And the post you linked actually had facts and data backing it up. Not a random one liner like you are making it out to be. All of the Texas' metro areas primarily reason for growing is natural increase and not migration. Regarding the domestic migration in Houston, anyone can clearly see that those numbers have been going up since the middle of last decade. There is only about a 33K difference between Houston and dfw for domestic migration since 06 which is not that much. Houson is just nowecoming a stronger domestic migration hub because the early part of the 00s wasn't that strong, but Houston has always had strong domestic migration. And how can you say Miami has a healthy number of migration when it had negative migration from 1996-2009?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City