Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better sports town?
Chicago 45 38.14%
Boston 38 32.20%
Philadelphia 35 29.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,834,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Chicago has 2 major league baseball teams. Cubs and White Sox (seems forgotten here) with Wrigley Field as a Top tourist attraction and tours too. Major league Soccer.... Chicago has the - Chicago Fire. It is also getting a new soccer stadium for a NEW United Soccer League and stadium near downtown, with a yet unnamed team for 2020.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/2...-soccer-league

I did read Boston's mayor is seeking a MLS team and stadium now for Boston. .
Yea, but Chicago's population can certainly support two MLB teams. Besides, the Cubs own ~70% of the market.

Last time I was at a White Sox game, it was 50/50 opposing fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM

939 posts, read 499,250 times
The lack of coverage dedicated to BC's win over #1 Duke the other day has been pitiful. Ted Sarandis was the former BC basketball radio announcer and a former call-in host at WEEI. While a bit eccentric at times, I think some of his mentions of conspiracies by the city's elite media types to form agendas that intentionally put college sports on the back burner in this town, have a lot of merit. College football and basketball only slightly rose above the bottom rung when BC shocked #1 UNC with Stackhouse and Wallace years back, and during the Doug Flutie days at BC. Even UMass basketball during the Calipari days was treated lukewarmly.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
The lack of coverage dedicated to BC's win over #1 Duke the other day has been pitiful. Ted Sarandis was the former BC basketball radio announcer and a former call-in host at WEEI. While a bit eccentric at times, I think some of his mentions of conspiracies by the city's elite media types to form agendas that intentionally put college sports on the back burner in this town, have a lot of merit. College football and basketball only slightly rose above the bottom rung when BC shocked #1 UNC with Stackhouse and Wallace years back, and during the Doug Flutie days at BC. Even UMass basketball during the Calipari days was treated lukewarmly.
I think you have to look at how those colleges interact with Boston and Massachusetts at large.

BC is a very insular institution and today about 75% of students are from out of state so nobody is really invested in the school, and they purposely lock out the community compared to other schools. Even Harvard does things like host the MLL team, local swim meets etc. while BC has nothing to do with anyone outside their alumni bubble. This few outside the BC ecosystem care.

UMass is smaller than UConn despite being in a state 2x larger. So being a "Flagship State U" isn't quite the same as in other states. On top of that UMA is more a Springfield thing than a Boston thing. However when UMass Amherst is competitive they do make more waves than a BC team.

It's not a conspiracy.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think you have to look at how those colleges interact with Boston and Massachusetts at large.

BC is a very insular institution and today about 75% of students are from out of state so nobody is really invested in the school, and they purposely lock out the community compared to other schools. Even Harvard does things like host the MLL team, local swim meets etc. while BC has nothing to do with anyone outside their alumni bubble. This few outside the BC ecosystem care.

UMass is smaller than UConn despite being in a state 2x larger. So being a "Flagship State U" isn't quite the same as in other states. On top of that UMA is more a Springfield thing than a Boston thing. However when UMass Amherst is competitive they do make more waves than a BC team.

It's not a conspiracy.
UConn is not bigger than Umass.

People in Boston care about college hockey. That's it. When it's convenient, or a team like BC is ranked in football, people pay attention, but that't about all you can say.

I do think that the climate plays well for pro teams, which is partially why it's such a dedicated city.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 PM

I get that even state institutions in the northeast don't create the fervor they do in other regions when it comes to hysteria over college athletic teams. But something always has been odd about Boston, whether we're talking about BC, or UMass, a state school. If Boston College is ranked #1 in football late in the year (like they almost were about 10 years ago when Mat Ryan was the QB), is it too much to ask on a 24 hours sports radio network to dedicate a little airtime and not meander on and on about unsubstantiated baseball trade rumors in the off-season, or for the one millionth time, bringing up Tom Brady's questionable supplement business?

I mean c'mon something new folks- and current- and on the field? Ted Sarandis in fact called out his very own employer, WEEI, regarding his "conspiracy" (perhaps why he is a former employee now). He could be over the top at times, but in this case, it is more believable all the time. No reason that hours after BC beat Duke, it was relegated to the end of a local sportscast, behind non-current sports information i.e 24 hour old Celtic highlights, and who the Bruins are going to play in a few hours). Its not asking much to feature a BC win for one sportscast, when its against #1 Duke a few miles away. Also, when Duke is referred to as not #1 Duke, but rather "top-seeded" Duke, it makes you wonder how competent some in the local sports media are.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I get that even state institutions in the northeast don't create the fervor they do in other regions when it comes to hysteria over college athletic teams. But something always has been odd about Boston, whether we're talking about BC, or UMass, a state school. If Boston College is ranked #1 in football late in the year (like they almost were about 10 years ago when Mat Ryan was the QB), is it too much to ask on a 24 hours sports radio network to dedicate a little airtime and not meander on and on about unsubstantiated baseball trade rumors in the off-season, or for the one millionth time, bringing up Tom Brady's questionable supplement business?

I mean c'mon something new folks- and current- and on the field? Ted Sarandis in fact called out his very own employer, WEEI, regarding his "conspiracy" (perhaps why he is a former employee now). He could be over the top at times, but in this case, it is more believable all the time. No reason that hours after BC beat Duke, it was relegated to the end of a local sportscast, behind non-current sports information i.e 24 hour old Celtic highlights, and who the Bruins are going to play in a few hours). Its not asking much to feature a BC win for one sportscast, when its against #1 Duke a few miles away. Also, when Duke is referred to as not #1 Duke, but rather "top-seeded" Duke, it makes you wonder how competent some in the local sports media are.
Sports media in Boston is in bed with the professional organizations. That's been largely criticized over and over again in town. The popularity of college sports is likely deemed a nuisance at the top, and there could definitely be a situation where, say, the Krafts elbow 98.5 to stay focused on pro sports. Who knows.

I do see a lot of the same issues out here in Chicago. Northwestern is an afterthought. The only time you hear anything about local college sports is when someone pledges allegiance to Notre Dame. You wouldn't even know UofI had a football team.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Sports media in Boston is in bed with the professional organizations. That's been largely criticized over and over again in town. The popularity of college sports is likely deemed a nuisance at the top, and there could definitely be a situation where, say, the Krafts elbow 98.5 to stay focused on pro sports. Who knows.

I do see a lot of the same issues out here in Chicago. Northwestern is an afterthought. The only time you hear anything about local college sports is when someone pledges allegiance to Notre Dame. You wouldn't even know UofI had a football team.
The fair amount of time in Chicago that I spent, I didn't get the Notre Dame football infatuation by some. It definitely existed. I've heard some speak of the same thing in Boston because of the large population of Irish descent, but honestly to this day, I've never noticed any interest for Notre Dame football, nor any other college football program within the New England region.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The fair amount of time in Chicago that I spent, I didn't get the Notre Dame football infatuation by some. It definitely existed. I've heard some speak of the same thing in Boston because of the large population of Irish descent, but honestly to this day, I've never noticed any interest for Notre Dame football, nor any other college football program within the New England region.
Isn't it funny that in Boston, Irish folks are so prideful of their family heritage that they will like a team simply because of the moniker?

In Texas, a good amount of folks don't even know the origins of their last name. It's not even a thought.

Anyways, ND does dominate the landscape in the Boston area. But even still, there's not a huge following. If it wasn't for the massive gambling rings in Boston's underworld, I'm not sure anyone would even watch college football.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:51 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,517,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If there is one sport that Boston lags other cities in its Football. Football is a 3 day affair in most of the country. Friday is for HS, Saturday is College, and Sunday is Pro, in Boston it's Sunday afternoon and that's it. Football is not all consuming like in the rest of the country.
probably why the pats left town.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,840,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
according to us-news-world-report, mass is one of the fittest states. people are fairly active in running 5-k's, 10-k's, rec league, cyo, y-leagues, bay state games, ... growing up, maybe 1/3rd of the adults i knew were involved in some amature sports league.

i think pennsylvania and illinois are somewhat high on the list for obesity. are rec leagues popular there ?
Of course, rec leagues are popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City