Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:33 PM

61 posts, read 210,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Only in total #. That isn't what matters though, it's # of hours of rain, which is significantly more in Seattle.

Seattle is in the top 5 rainiest U.S. cities by number of precipitations days, and it gets the least amount of annual sunlight of all major cities in the lower-48 states.
# of days with "some precipitation" - means you might go 90% of the day with sunbreaks or even perfect weather, but there was a little cloudburst that dropped and covered the sky for a minute, so it counts as a "cloudy, rainy day." That's the dirty secret about Seattle weather.

It can be chilly and wet in Seattle. However, as long as it isn't windy, you're going to be taking off layers more than putting them on. November is the rainiest, windiest month and it's still nice every other day on average. I consider 50* and calm to be incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,467,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossanovawitcha View Post
for me personally, I prefer Seattle. However, I grew up in the Southwest and the monochrome xeroscape - and sun that is often too bright for me - makes me appreciate the Northwest so, so much.

Don't forget being 3 hours from Vancouver, Victoria, and Portland.

I'd live in Denver in a heartbeat. I have lived in Flagstaff, AZ before and winters are similar and a blast.
Flagstaff is overall milder and more stable than Denver due to being west of the continental divide and 5 degrees closer to the equator. They are a full hardiness zone higher than Denver, and a cold day in Flag in the winter will have a high around 30, while a cold day in Denver in the winter will have a high in the single digits or teens

Old 11-19-2016, 12:44 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,863,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher04 View Post
I grew up in Philly and Chicago and I'll take Seattle's winter weather over any month in those cities.

That seems odd-unless Seattle winter weather is your favorite type of weather.

Personally I love Summers in Philly although I can understand someone not liking the heat/humidity, but I haven't heard of many people that don't like Fall or Spring here. Even today in late November was 70 and sunny-beautiful out. September is perhaps the best month weather wise-clear blue skies, 70s/80s, ocean still warm. The Winters in Philly/Jersey/Delaware are also very over-exaggerated-the highs are in the 40s all Winter and there will still be spectacularly sunny days here and there. December will have many 50s and even 60s.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That seems odd-unless Seattle winter weather is your favorite type of weather.

Personally I love Summers in Philly although I can understand someone not liking the heat/humidity, but I haven't heard of many people that don't like Fall or Spring here. Even today in late November was 70 and sunny-beautiful out. September is perhaps the best month weather wise-clear blue skies, 70s/80s, ocean still warm. The Winters in Philly/Jersey/Delaware are also very over-exaggerated-the highs are in the 40s all Winter and there will still be spectacularly sunny days here and there. December will have many 50s and even 60s.
Temps east of the rockies are unstable outside of summer. Case in point, Rochester, NY, the "normal" high in January is 31°, but typical daytime temps will range from around 52° on a very warm day to the single digits or teens for a very cold day; so with a normal high of 39 in January, Philadelphia is bound to see daytime temps in the 20's and 30's for at least half the days that month

Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 AM

8,592 posts, read 14,775,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Flagstaff is overall milder and more stable than Denver due to being west of the continental divide and 5 degrees closer to the equator. They are a full hardiness zone higher than Denver, and a cold day in Flag in the winter will have a high around 30, while a cold day in Denver in the winter will have a high in the single digits or teens
ROFLMAO. Denver's slightly warmer on an average winter day and gets about half the snow Flagstaff does. Nice try, though.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 11-19-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 08:34 AM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,223,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yes, stability.

Denver has almost zero stability in winter.

One day it's a crazy warm almost 70F sunny and windy.
Next day well below freezing and snowing.

Seattle is way more stable, that, and much milder lows,
gives it the edge over Denver.

You're also right about the SW,
if it was Albuquerque vs Seattle, ABQ wins, much more stable then Denver,
milder lows and tons of sunshine.

Last edited by BMI; 11-19-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 AM

74 posts, read 60,572 times
Seattle can be super damp, which is in some ways worse IMO than Chicago's winters of just flat out cold.

It's like wet towel cold. Yuck.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:14 AM

10,442 posts, read 7,545,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher04 View Post
Seattle winters are cake..
Yes they are. Mid to high 40's and drizzle is not bad at all. We can get that weather any month of the year here in SE Alaska.

I usually run in these conditions with just a shirt and sweater. Yesterday, it was in the 20's, and I would have been uncomfortably cold on the trail without another layer.

Below freezing always seems colder to me, probably because it is.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
ROFLMAO. Denver's slightly warmer on an average winter day and gets about half the snow Flagstaff does. Nice try, though.
You do realize that Flagstaff and Denver have the exact same averages from December to February don't you (highs in 40's, low's 15-20). You only consider Denver "milder" because of the occasional Chinook days where the high will be 65-70, ignoring the days where the high fails to break 10°, and with lows well below 0°. Flagstaff can have winter days with highs 55°+, while a cold day in Flag usually has a high around 28° to 30° with steady snow. I do know what I'm talking about

Old 11-20-2016, 11:29 AM

8,782 posts, read 6,712,319 times
Seattle isn't as wet as people think, even in the winter. Maybe three days a year I show up work wet from the walk wishing I was an umbrella user. We have a lot of light rain but it's usually not enough to really make it cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City