Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Virginia vs Georgia
Virginia 61 47.29%
Georgia 68 52.71%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But Georgia has the CDC, NSA, several large/important military installations, and several regional offices of federal agencies. And discounting defense contractors and federal financial institutions, Virginia has 16 F500 headquarters, one more than Georgia. I understand what people are talking about when they mention the federal government presence in Virginia, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
Yes, but federal operations in Georgia are nothing in comparison to the ones that spill out of D.C. into Virginia. I think people place too much emphasis on F500 headquarters. I'd rather have one major important F500 headquarter in my city than 3 or 4 that are minor administrative type installations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Ok lets break down, By urbanize area if Atlanta is 2,645.4 sq mi

NOVA 800 sq mi
VA Beach 516 sq mi
Richmond 492 sq mi

If you added them up 1,808 sq mi by those 3 VA metros Atlanta has over 800 sq mi more of urbanized area. That's nearly 1/3 larger then those 3 VA metros combined. And the thing is I'm giving NOVA 800 sq mi that's more than half of DC whole urban area. Yall are acting like GA is the size of New Mexico or something. Georgia isn't close to being nearly 1/3 larger than Virginia, Georgia is only like 1/5 larger than VA.
Actually, using these figures, the urbanized areas of Atlanta and NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond constitute approximately 4.6% of their respective states. So proportionally speaking, things equal out.

Quote:
By proportions and looking at the differences in size between the two states I still have a point. GA has both a higher proportion of urbanized area and more by raw square miles. Virginia has more separate metros not that it has more square miles of urban area. Atlanta is more to GA because all of the these square miles of urban area and the population is one metro. VA has less by raw and proportion that's divide up into 3 metro regions. Distribution doesn't equal more.
Actually VA doesn't have less by proportion, at least with the figures you provided. And having those larger urbanized areas distributed more evenly throughout the state spreads the prosperity and growth over a much wider base and typically makes for more moderate politics. It's much easier for several different large urban areas to form a coalition to lobby for policies that favor them. This is a major reason why the state of VA doesn't collectively treat its large urban areas as something alien, which is quite the opposite in GA with Atlanta.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yes, but federal operations in Georgia are nothing in comparison to the ones that spill out of D.C. into Virginia. I think people place too much emphasis on F500 headquarters. I'd rather have one major important F500 headquarter in my city than 3 or 4 that are minor administrative type installations.
I was just pointing out the people try to make Virginia ALL government and Georgia ALL private sector and that's a HUGE mischaracterization. Virginia has just as large as a private sector base, if not larger--with a smaller population.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM

According to the BEA, here's how government and private industry contributed to the GDP's of both states:

Georgia
Private industry (total): $360.021 billion
Government: $58.922 billion

Virginia
Private industry (total): $348.889 billion
Government: $80.020 billion

Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Actually, using these figures, the urbanized areas of Atlanta and NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond constitute approximately 4.6% of their respective states. So proportionally speaking, things equal out.

Actually VA doesn't have less by proportion, at least with the figures you provided. And having those larger urbanized areas distributed more evenly throughout the state spreads the prosperity and growth over a much wider base and typically makes for more moderate politics. It's much easier for several different large urban areas to form a coalition to lobby for policies that favor them. This is a major reason why the state of VA doesn't collectively treat its large urban areas as something alien, which is quite the opposite in GA with Atlanta.
How does that create a equal GA isn't 1/3 larger than VA it's may be 1/5 if that. But Atlanta urbanized area is 1/3 larger than NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond combine.

My point is you can't say well beside Atlanta or outside Atlanta Georgia isn't this or that. Because that like saying VA outside of NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond VA is this or that. In this case there's a reason why Atlanta means more to Georgia. Besides the population share of GA by raw and proportion of sq mi of Georgia that would nearly off set VA's 3 larger metros. VA 3 larger metro doesn't have enough urbanized area by raw square milies or proportion of VA to say outside of Atlanta. Distribution doesn't equal more

Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
How does that create a equal GA isn't 1/3 larger than VA it's may be 1/5 if that. But Atlanta urbanized area is 1/3 larger than NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond combine.
It's because we're speaking in the context of proportions. The urbanized areas of NOVA, Hampton Roads, and Richmond comprise 4.6% of square mileage in Virginia, and Atlanta's urbanized area comprises the same percentage for Georgia. Again, you use proportions in this context to adjust for the difference in size between the two states. It's a pretty basic concept.

Quote:
My point is you can't say well beside Atlanta or outside Atlanta Georgia isn't this or that. Because that like saying VA outside of NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond VA is this or that. In this case there's a reason why Atlanta means more to Georgia. Besides the population share of GA by raw and proportion of sq mi of Georgia that would nearly off set VA's 3 larger metros. VA 3 larger metro doesn't have enough urbanized area by raw square milies or proportion of VA to say outside of Atlanta. Distribution doesn't equal more
You're missing the point; in this particular context, I'm not talking about quantity. I never made the point that distribution equates to "more." I'm saying that an even distribution has an impact in other areas, like politics, access to resources, etc. A state is better off when the wealth and amenities are more evenly distributed as opposed to being overwhelmingly condensed in one part of the state.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
It's because we're speaking in the context of proportions. The urbanized areas of NOVA, Hampton Roads, and Richmond comprise 4.6% of square mileage in Virginia, and Atlanta's urbanized area comprises the same percentage for Georgia. Again, you use proportions in this context to adjust for the difference in size between the two states. It's a pretty basic concept.
I am looking at proportions, I don't know how you got Atlanta UA being 1/3 larger than NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond UAs combine being all equal in proportions, when Georgia is only maybe 1/5 larger than Virginia. GA would have to be 1/3 bigger than VA just to make them equal.

Quote:
You're missing the point; in this particular context, I'm not talking about quantity. I never made the point that distribution equates to "more." I'm saying that an even distribution has an impact in other areas, like politics, access to resources, etc. A state is better off when the wealth and amenities are more evenly distributed as opposed to being overwhelmingly condensed in one part of the state.
But when people use that scenario "GA outside of Atlanta" it under cuts the proportions of square miles of urban area in GA. That's what I was tackling Atlanta is not the size of Denver.. It takes all 3 of VA larger metros just to compete with Atlanta. As long the 3 largest metros in VA are being mention the size of Atlanta can't be ignore. It takes all 3 just to cancel Atlanta out not just NOVA because it's the largest, it don't work that. GA 2nd tier cities can compete with VA 2nd tier cities.

As far as politics goes I get what your saying but at the same time the more Atlanta grows the more power in GA the Atlanta region will have. As you pointed out GA is becoming more progressive. Small town conservatives who have this anti Atlanta thing will have less and less power.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I am looking at proportions, I don't know how you got Atlanta UA being 1/3 larger than NOVA, VA Beach, and Richmond UAs combine being all equal in proportions, when Georgia is only maybe 1/5 larger than Virginia. GA would have to be 1/3 bigger than VA just to make them equal.
And that's where you're messing up; Georgia IS 1/3 bigger than Virginia by land area. Georgia's total size by land area is 57,906 square miles; Virginia's is 39,594 (source). More accurately, Georgia is 31.6% larger than Virginia by land area.

So here's the math:

Atlanta's UA is 2645.5 square miles; Georgia's total size by land area is 57,906 square miles. (2645.5/57,906) x 100 = 4.568 or 4.6%.

The combined UAs of NOVA, Hampton Roads, and Richmond are 1808 square miles; Virginia's total size by land area is 39,594 square miles. (1808/39,594) x 100 = 4.566 or 4.6%.

Quote:
But when people use that scenario "GA outside of Atlanta" it under cuts the proportions of square miles of urban area in GA. That's what I was tackling Atlanta is not the size of Denver.. It takes all 3 of VA larger metros just to compete with Atlanta. As long the 3 largest metros in VA are being mention the size of Atlanta can't be ignore. It takes all 3 just to cancel Atlanta out not just NOVA because it's the largest, it don't work that. GA 2nd tier cities can compete with VA 2nd tier cities.
But this isn't city vs. city/cities; it's state vs. state. And when you have Virginia's three largest urban areas, located in different parts of the state, comprising the same percentage of land area within the state as Atlanta does within Georgia, you get a completely different dynamic on the state level in several areas and that's the biggest difference.

Quote:
As far as politics goes I get what your saying but at the same time the more Atlanta grows the more power in GA the Atlanta region will have. As you pointed out GA is becoming more progressive. Small town conservatives who have this anti Atlanta thing will have less and less power.
But the thing is, Virginia is already there and has been for some time.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
As I said before, I find it laughable that people are even considering the two states in the same league.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
As I said before, I find it laughable that people are even considering the two states in the same league.
Each has a leg up on the other in some categories, but yes, they are generally in the same league. Leave your NOVA bubble sometimes and you'd know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City