Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:30 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I think in very limited areas of DC around metro stops, it could work. Ward 7 and Ward 8 are basically what people outside of the District call "Southeast". On a whole, there needs to be much more wholesale revitalization that a few tall buildings won't take care of, so I'd rather have the District focus on those efforts to ensure that people will even walk around to begin with, before starting to build a bunch of towers just for the hell of it. However, I saw the video you posted along the Anacostia. I think that would be pretty cool.

However, I also don't want the historical monuments, AKA what makes DC really unique (like a living museum) to be obscured just for some glass buildings, but I don't think it would get to that extent at all.
Well, the RFK Campus is in Ward 7 and Poplar Point is in Ward 8 so they are the best sites. I can’t really think of any other appropriate site really. I think allowing buildings up to 30 stories would be appropriate there. It would be similar to Rosslyn and Crystal City which already allow buildings up to 390 feet.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-01-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think 25/30 story buildings along the Anacostia could easily be accepted and some times I feel like the Wharf could/should have been taller but that's almost completely developed once 2nd phase finishes. Could you imagine the stretch of development near Buzzard Point up the Anacostia on both sides (Poplar Point included) all the way towards RFK/DC jail with 25+ stories?

EOTR there could be buildings over 14 floors no doubt, I don't see any reasons at all why some type of amendments couldn't be made for that part of the District to build taller especially around Metro stations. I feel like the city is going to develop/redevelop everything first before making the push to go taller however.
I think the Poplar Point and RFK Campus sites are perfect for this. I could see allowing buildings to go up to 30 stories on those two sites. A max of 390 feet similar to Rosslyn which already exists.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:56 PM

724 posts, read 559,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, the RFK Campus is in Ward 7 and Poplar Point is in Ward 8 so they are the best sites. I can’t really think of any other appropriate site really. I think allowing buildings up to 30 stories would be appropriate there. It would be similar to Rosslyn and Crystal City which already allow buildings up to 390 feet.
Yeah the RFK campus is ok because its a real dead area in terms of street level activity (as everyone in DC knows, there's a ton of parking there that seems to be empty a huge chunk of the year). I wouldn't even mind rebuilding the area to have a smaller stadium, and really redeveloping the area on a much more wholesale level.

Poplar Point feels a bit disconnected from the rest of the city. Would they intrude on Anacostia Park? I can see that being an issue, but if the city government themselves allow intrusion into the park, it might not be a bad idea.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah the RFK campus is ok because its a real dead area in terms of street level activity (as everyone in DC knows, there's a ton of parking there that seems to be empty a huge chunk of the year). I wouldn't even mind rebuilding the area to have a smaller stadium, and really redeveloping the area on a much more wholesale level.

Poplar Point feels a bit disconnected from the rest of the city. Would they intrude on Anacostia Park? I can see that being an issue, but if the city government themselves allow intrusion into the park, it might not be a bad idea.
Well, the footprint of the redevelopment for Poplar Point is already set. It was going to be developed by Clark Realty until the 2008 market crash killed the deal. See video below for what was already headed there:

Pre-Recession Poplar Point Development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City