Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the region that will become densely populated like the northeast:
Southeast 23 17.97%
South Central (Texas) 19 14.84%
Southwest 4 3.13%
West Coast (California) 52 40.63%
Pacific Northwest 12 9.38%
Mountain West 3 2.34%
Upper Midwest 22 17.19%
Lower Midwest 7 5.47%
No other region could 23 17.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Your post is up & down on your train of thoughts here man. At first it seems like you're talking to me since I made that New York of the car world comment & then you switch to the OP for putting the southeast together. Finally I presume switching back to me.

Indeed.

Did you know according to the magazines Bentley's put out as recent as last year that Miami has more exotic luxury cars than anywhere else in the country? Runners up Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Boston, & Chicago have nothing on that level.

Miami's also got a prominent street car culture. Fast & Furious is not an exaggeration when it comes to Miami. Nos, tune up shops, street racing, & car meets are all apart of Miami culture. It's also popularized this way by film. I think of it as a positive for the city's distinguishable culture.

Yeahhh pretty much all of Florida's east coast would qualify:
All sizes | Occupied and Vacant, Census 2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You're close, it's a top 5.

Orlando? Uhhhh hell yeahhhh it is. They don't even have any transit besides BRT and even there the ridership for a metropolitan just shy of 3 million is low at: 84,061.

Tampa is just as bad with no transit system for a Tampa Bay Area of 4 million people, HART Tampa's BRT system has a daily ridership of: 40,000.

You're listing Peoplemover & Tri-Rail and it's hard to take that seriously because one is a monorail for extremely low amount of ridership & the other is commuter rail which practically all cities have to a degree. Peoplemover is just a (in my opinion) joke of a transit system, I would personally talk more about Metrorail than this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ver_Poster.png

Neither of their ridership are even that impressive. Miami's BRT system on the otherhand is infinitely better than either of those: 245,500.

For Metrorail, there is absolutely no comparison. MARTA mops the floor with Metrorail & it's daily riderships even lag Dallas's DART: 66,589 (Metrorail) & 74,200 (DART).

You cant be serious. On top of that, at this point I know Miami extremely well. I spent my summer there just last year with my dad when he had a consulting project with Barcadi there for 6 months. His hotel where he stayed was the Marriott Biscayne Bay in the heart of Miami and I would never see a soul on those sidewalks. Go across the bay & into Miami Beach and it would be a different story for such a small island place. I know Miami better than I know Dallas because I've only been to the Fort Worth side once, whereas I drove to Florida with my little brother to spend the summer with my dad while he was on his project there, I drove around plenty of the suburbs and the city. It's dense but that's the only thing it's bringing to the "urban kids club" table.

I wouldn't say that much better but DART is not only more extensive but it's got a higher daily ridership than Metrorail.

Honestly I love Miami despite the flaws that it has but come on, this argument is a non-factor.
Of the big 4 cities in the South(Which happen to be the only cities in the South with any type of commuter rail) Atlanta's commuter rail is number 1. After that, MAYBE Dallas is better than MetroRail. After that, Where else in the South? And of the other Florida cities, I wasn't comparing them to the big 4, I was more or less comparing them to other lesser metro's in the South. But of the big 4 in the South, SoFla is the most connected, and has the most consistent development throughout the metro. Of course the burbs in Miami East to West aren't urban. After all, they're suburbs... But North to South, SoFla is more consistent and dense than anywhere else in the South. And it's not useless density, they're urban centers, downtowns, walkable coastal areas, etc. DFW isn't as consistent from Dallas to Fort Worth. Neither is ATL and any of it's burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Heavy rail and yeah entirely agree with your statement here, it's by FAR and away number one in that region.

I consider them the same level, their ridership is nearly identical so there's no maybe about it. Miami's got more going for it in ridership per mile although they're both bad at that, while Dallas has more coverage area.

Probably Houston right behind these two. After next year, it's probably going to surpass them both on ridership as according to their projections but due to the lack of coverage compared to DART, I would put it in this same tier. It's coverage would be longer than Miami's but it's not heavy rail so it's not going to be moving higher capacities as frequently.

I personally feel Tampa has a lot of potential that it's not using. I would agree that Tampa is more or less on a higher level than other cities in the region. Sorry though, I don't agree with Orlando. That place puts the ville in sprawlsville. Sprawlville, sprawltopolis, sprawlapalooza, whatever you want to call it.

It takes away nothing from the city but yeahhh the more inland you go the more it's density drops down there.

I would be in agreement.

Yeahhh I noticed that as well. Lots of undeveloped rolling prairies between the two. Honestly, no offense but I hardly consider Fort Worth anything more than a gigantic suburb. I don't see how it's any different than a Scottsdale or Tempe.

I never really caught on to saying "DFW", that would imply giving respect to Fort Worth as a standalone city on par with Dallas and I just don't see that honestly. No point in giving out respect for where none is deserved. Similar situation with Fort Lauderdale & Miami, I consider Fort Lauderdale an extension of the Miami area. Nothing more or less than that in my opinion.
And that's fair, but with respect to the thread, my point was that SoFla is the most connected and consistently developed metro in the South. Between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, there's alot of built and developed land, and density. Samething between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. If there was a metro/region in the South that has the blueprint to becoming a megapolis, it would be SoFla from South Miami to Port St. Lucie and beyond.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And that's fair, but with respect to the thread, my point was that SoFla is the most connected and consistently developed metro in the South. Between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, there's alot of built and developed land, and density. Samething between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. If there was a metro/region in the South that has the blueprint to becoming a megapolis, it would be SoFla from South Miami to Port St. Lucie and beyond.

agreed

its almost like the four corner of the US in a sense with the NE, Miami extended, SOCAL, Bay and then Chicagoland in the north middle

in their size order I am not sure if the extended Miami or Bay would be 4th/5th

Old 10-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
agreed

its almost like the four corner of the US in a sense with the NE, Miami extended, SOCAL, Bay and then Chicagoland in the north middle

in their size order I am not sure if the extended Miami or Bay would be 4th/5th
Pretty much. Me personally, I'd put the Bay ahead of SoFla at 3rd, put Chicagoland at 4th and put SoFla at 5th.

1. NE
2. Southern California
3. Bay Area
4. Chicagoland
5. SoFla

Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
GOOD.is | Dead Walking (Raw Image)

Interesting stuff there. Not sure I agree with all of it, specifically the Portland part. The United States could do much more to become pedestrian friendly.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
GOOD.is | Dead Walking (Raw Image)

Interesting stuff there. Not sure I agree with all of it, specifically the Portland part. The United States could do much more to become pedestrian friendly.
Interesting.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The OP wanted to know if a region will ever be as dense as the Northeast. I answered that it already exists. SoCal obviously isn't as populous as the Northeast, but its more consistently dense. The stats are there. Take from them what you wish.
Hmm.. Southern California sounds like more a sub-region than a region. What do you consider the boundaries of southern California to be?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Hmm.. Southern California sounds like more a sub-region than a region. What do you consider the boundaries of southern California to be?
Depends on the person.

I personally like this definition

However, more purists would NEVER consider SLO or Bakersfield to be SoCal, and this assumes that there is no such thing as Central California.

Almost everyone would agree that everything below the Tehachapis and Point Concepcion is SoCal.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
nevermind..Lifeshadower beat me to it. LOL

Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Santa Maria / San Luis Obispo to the border. I don't really count Bakersfield though. At least that is what I consider it to be, some would put the line at the Ventura/SB county line - I just think it is around the SLO / SB county lines. That gives you about 270 miles North to South - it's about as large as the Eastern Seaboard (DC-Boston).

It is definitely its own region, especially because it has a pretty unique vibe / culture that is slightly different in Northern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City