U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,519,636 times
Reputation: 1406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
How did that proposition for allowing gay marriage do in California? I heard Iowa, that whitebread midwest state, had an easy time of it. Is fetching a bag of weed at a corner store while pretending to be sick progressive in your eyes, too?
Which state was the first one to issue any licenses to gay couples? CA is aligned with 46 other states in not yet allowing it, so I'm getting really sick of people from all these other states trying to throw that one in our face. First you all mock us for recycling and our environmental policies that were ahead of their time, and now everyone's all concerned about how "green" their city or state is. You mock the weed thing now, but the second our government caves and makes it legal nationwide to help fix our economy out of desperation, you guys will be bragging about how great a selection you guys have of spots in your state that you can buy from. I'm tired of all the criticism the rest of the country always gives, then ends up copying exactly what we do in CA.

This isn't an attack on you personally, so don't take my comments the wrong way. I'm just really tired of hearing criticism for so many things we do that are at the forefront of what trends the nation will be following not to far down the road. And the gay marriage thing is supremely annoying b/c 5 years ago we were getting flack from everyone for jumping the gun here in SF and issuing licenses. Now we have to hear it from everyone for not issuing those same licenses, when the vast majority of the country still doesn't do it themselves. I understand why you said that in that instance, but this is just a pet peeve of mine.

 
Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Chicago
94 posts, read 250,279 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
I understand why you said that in that instance, but this is just a pet peeve of mine.
And I understand where you're coming from as well. I was merely defending the "whitebread midwest" at the time, as LAnightmare so nicely put it.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
 
330 posts, read 730,138 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
The only one with a clear inferiority complex is you. With your constant lame criticisms of "chic'ans" and the city iself, its clear you feel threatened by Chicago. You also "try to get all big and bad " by talking about "greasy pizza, broad shoulders, and hokey midwestern accents", crap that has no bearing or significance on the quality of the city. Id imagine you see the great skyline of chicago and immediately become enraged with jealousy. Here, lemme rub it in a bit:



flickr (unknown)


rebecca whitney





kcgridlock
Originally being from the bay area, the Chicago photos posted make downtown SF look smalltime. Let's face it, SF is nice, but it's not all that once someone has lived there for a while and who is familiar with it.

You quickly figure out after living there for a couple of years that it's not as great as you first lived there. SF is so overrated here on city-data... My only guess is that there are a lot of gay members so that would make sense why SF is overrated on city-data. But then again looking at the poll it looks like things are balancing out.

If I had to pick I would still have to go with SF. But that's because I'm from there. But after being on the east coast I know SF is not all that.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 3,987,126 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Which state was the first one to issue any licenses to gay couples? CA is aligned with 46 other states in not yet allowing it, so I'm getting really sick of people from all these other states trying to throw that one in our face. First you all mock us for recycling and our environmental policies that were ahead of their time, and now everyone's all concerned about how "green" their city or state is. You mock the weed thing now, but the second our government caves and makes it legal nationwide to help fix our economy out of desperation, you guys will be bragging about how great a selection you guys have of spots in your state that you can buy from. I'm tired of all the criticism the rest of the country always gives, then ends up copying exactly what we do in CA.

This isn't an attack on you personally, so don't take my comments the wrong way. I'm just really tired of hearing criticism for so many things we do that are at the forefront of what trends the nation will be following not to far down the road. And the gay marriage thing is supremely annoying b/c 5 years ago we were getting flack from everyone for jumping the gun here in SF and issuing licenses. Now we have to hear it from everyone for not issuing those same licenses, when the vast majority of the country still doesn't do it themselves. I understand why you said that in that instance, but this is just a pet peeve of mine.
Sorry buddy, but recycling wasn't invented in California. The City of Madison, Wisconsin offered the first curbside recycling program in the nation, starting with newspaper collection in 1968.

Interesting Wisconsin History:

- The very first hydroelectric plant, which uses rushing water to produce environmentally-friendly electricity, was built in Appleton, Wisconsin in 1882.

- The University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Engineering’s Solar Energy Lab is the oldest of its kind in the world.

- Earth Day was founded by former Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson to encourage people to learn about the environment and take action. Today, more than 200 million people in 140 countries recognize Earth Day!
 
Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,598 posts, read 53,305,758 times
Reputation: 14517
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Originally being from the bay area, the Chicago photos posted make downtown SF look smalltime.

Let's face it, SF is nice, but it's not all that once someone has lived there for a while and who is familiar with it.

You quickly figure out after living there for a couple of years that it's not as great as you first lived there. SF is so overrated here on city-data... My only guess is that there are a lot of gay members so that would make sense why SF is overrated on city-data. But then again looking at the poll it looks like things are balancing out.

If I had to pick I would still have to go with SF. But that's because I'm from there. But after being on the east coast I know SF is not all that.
Trust me, there are tens(if not hundreds) of thousands of former Chicagoans now living in the Bay Area(they are a very big and cool lot btw) who wouldnt trade living here for all the skyscrapers in the world.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 AM
 
902 posts, read 2,377,886 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im sure St Louis is a fine city, but no I do not live there. I reside in the humble town of Tiburon, California.
Opening day at the Bay was great this year, did you attend?
 
Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 AM
 
2,958 posts, read 5,519,636 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry buddy, but recycling wasn't invented in California. The City of Madison, Wisconsin offered the first curbside recycling program in the nation, starting with newspaper collection in 1968.

Interesting Wisconsin History:

- The very first hydroelectric plant, which uses rushing water to produce environmentally-friendly electricity, was built in Appleton, Wisconsin in 1882.

- The University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Engineering’s Solar Energy Lab is the oldest of its kind in the world.

- Earth Day was founded by former Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson to encourage people to learn about the environment and take action. Today, more than 200 million people in 140 countries recognize Earth Day!
I didn't know that about WI and that's actually good to know. But I was just speaking from personal experience. I've always heard negative criticism for whatever it is that CA does that's different from the rest of the nation (recycling was just an example; I wasn't trying to claim that CA invented it, although I probably would've assumed as much had that been my purpose as I was surprised to read the info you posted). CA has endorsed many of these green policies for a long time, and only recently have I been hearing people in many other states promoting them. My point isn't just about this though. Its about the annoying hypocrisy of the critics who end up following in our footsteps after spending long amounts of time bashing us for what we do. Whether we invent things or not, we are very often at the forefront of innovations.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
 
767 posts, read 1,787,655 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im sure St Louis is a fine city, but no I do not live there. I reside in the humble town of Tiburon, California.

Humble town of Tiburon?? Right. With all of those $12 million houses and Rolls Royces running the hills.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,598 posts, read 53,305,758 times
Reputation: 14517
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Opening day at the Bay was great this year, did you attend?

I moved back to Oakland before it took place.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,598 posts, read 53,305,758 times
Reputation: 14517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Humble town of Tiburon?? Right. With all of those $12 million houses and Rolls Royces running the hills.
The most humble rolls royces ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top