U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 2,886,532 times
Reputation: 764

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Not exactly. To give you some perspective, if Lake Michigan had saltwater instead of freshwater, it would be referred to as a sea rather than a lake. The Great Lakes possess 20% of the Earth's entire supply of freshwater. Lake Michigan is 2nd to Lake Superior in surface area, but 1st in water volume, as it is the deepest of the Great Lakes.

In a few decades or so when the Colorado River dries up, cities like LA and Phoenix will be begging for our water.
Actually Lake Michigan is 2nd in water volume...by a significant margin:

Water Volume:
Lake Superior - 2900 cu. mi
Lake Michigan - 1180 cu. mi

Average Depth:
Lake Superior - 483ft
Lake Michigan - 279ft

Max. Depth:
Lake Superior - 1332ft
Lake Michigan - 923ft

 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 2,886,532 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
The water that never gets over 50. Where you can't see your feet when you're only in up to your ankles. Where you don't dare go in above your ankles or the undertow will suck your ass to China. And of course that lovely breeze blowing straight down from Alaska. And right at 4:00 the fog comes in and waterboards you. Of course you can always go to the Cliff House and pay $10 for a watery tuna sandwich.

The lake is warm in the summer, it's fun and safe to swim in, you can even drink the water safely. And the city grooms the sand and cleans out the trash daily. It is the cleanest beach you'll see anywhere.
I wouldn't recomend this, The City of Chicago often times closes the beaches because of unsafe bacteria levels; but I guess if your thirsty enough...
 
Old 06-24-2009, 07:34 AM
 
318 posts, read 248,418 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Not exactly. To give you some perspective, if Lake Michigan had saltwater instead of freshwater, it would be referred to as a sea rather than a lake. The Great Lakes possess 20% of the Earth's entire supply of freshwater. Lake Michigan is 2nd to Lake Superior in surface area, but 1st in water volume, as it is the deepest of the Great Lakes.

In a few decades or so when the Colorado River dries up, cities like LA and Phoenix will be begging for our water.
What does it have to do with "beach feel"? Lake is a lake and ocean is an ocean. Ocean beaches simply offer much more including better sand, cleaner water and real waves. Ocean beaches are simply much more unless of course lake beaches are all you know.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Chicago
94 posts, read 254,089 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
What does it have to do with "beach feel"? Lake is a lake and ocean is an ocean. Ocean beaches simply offer much more including better sand, cleaner water and real waves. Ocean beaches are simply much more unless of course lake beaches are all you know.
Just because we live in Chicago doesn't mean we are incapable of traveling. I've been to ocean beaches numerous times. They're nice, but so is Chicago's waterfront. The water seems warmer to me, the water is clean, and the beaches are combed clean daily. I'll concede that ocean waves are bigger than Lake Michigan's, but its not a deal breaker for me. Neither city is known for being big beach cities- I don't know how this effects one's ability to raise a family well.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,134,403 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
What does it have to do with "beach feel"? Lake is a lake and ocean is an ocean. Ocean beaches simply offer much more including better sand, cleaner water and real waves. Ocean beaches are simply much more unless of course lake beaches are all you know.
LOL. Better sand? Sand is sand, you do realize that right? I mean it isn't like the East Coast or West Coast have black volcanic sand like Hawaii or something. True, we don't have dead crabs rotting all over the place if that's what you mean by "beach vibe." Beaches along Lake Michigan are way cleaner than what I saw at Coney Island. Despite the fact there was a garbage can every 5 feet, literally the beach was covered with them, there was still trash and old food all over the place. I took off my shoes and walked in the ocean up to my ankles, and I've never felt such cold water in my entire life.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,307,817 times
Reputation: 1143
I find it hard to believe that a lake right in front of a city like that can be "clean enough to drink" If so chicago really isnt like new york after all. Extremely odd to me
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,496,647 times
Reputation: 5656
coney island isn't exactly a good comparison... i have lived in california and florida and the beaches in both places blow away anything chicago has.

i was just out yesterday here in salmon creek, about 8 miles from where I live... chicago has nothing on this ...yeah it may be fun, but frankly it isn't even close to a nice beach.

 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,263,397 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I find it hard to believe that a lake right in front of a city like that can be "clean enough to drink" If so chicago really isnt like new york after all. Extremely odd to me
Its pretty clean. I wouldn't drink it intentionally, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned if my kid did it accidentally.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
1,991 posts, read 3,479,812 times
Reputation: 895
I like visiting SF more than I like visiting Chi, but if it came down to where I'd rather raise my kids, it would have to be Chi. SF is just a little too lax and open with social behaviors for what I want my kids exposed to. I want my kids to grow up with a live and let live mindset, not a there's nothing wrong with the way people choose to live mindset. However, if we get to include the metro areas, then Alameda, CA (island immediately southwest of Oakland) would make it a really close call. But I'd probably still go with Chi, somewhere between Wrigley Field and the Legion Park area.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
 
7,559 posts, read 9,408,352 times
Reputation: 8852
Default Nice post, good sense of humor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
LOL. Better sand? Sand is sand, you do realize that right? I mean it isn't like the East Coast or West Coast have black volcanic sand like Hawaii or something. True, we don't have dead crabs rotting all over the place if that's what you mean by "beach vibe." Beaches along Lake Michigan are way cleaner than what I saw at Coney Island. Despite the fact there was a garbage can every 5 feet, literally the beach was covered with them, there was still trash and old food all over the place. I took off my shoes and walked in the ocean up to my ankles, and I've never felt such cold water in my entire life.
..and although I'm currently standing (well, sitting at work) on the shores of the North Atlantic, I still prefer the quiet, peaceful stillness of a good lake.

Lake Michigan and Lake Champlain (border between VT/NY) are the most beautiful lakes I've seen in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top