Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM

94 posts, read 281,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One thing it is definitely beating SF out in at the moment is annoying homers that are too insecure to have a simple discussion about the good points of two cities w/o acting like little kids.
People bash Chicago much more when debating between Chicago and another city than the other way around. Take a look at almost every one of LANightmare's posts. Before him it was advocatustriovali or whatever his name was, and before that was the champ of bashing- dementor.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
People bash Chicago much more when debating between Chicago and another city than the other way around. Take a look at almost every one of LANightmare's posts. Before him it was advocatustriovali or whatever his name was, and before that was the champ of bashing- dementor.
Yeah I know that's true that Chicago has taken a lot of flack, but originally I was trying to side with Chicagoans and several are effectively driving me to side with the bashers. The poster I replied to was responding to me and gogetta, and we weren't bashing in any way. So dealing with, "wrong, we win no matter what!" is retarded when we're just talking normal. At least YOU are able to discuss things rationally w/o lowering the level of conversation to 2nd grade status. So I'm actually interested in what you have to say.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yeah I know that's true that Chicago has taken a lot of flack, but originally I was trying to side with Chicagoans and several are effectively driving me to side with the bashers. The poster I replied to was responding to me and gogetta, and we weren't bashing in any way. So dealing with, "wrong, we win no matter what!" is retarded when we're just talking normal. At least YOU are able to discuss things rationally w/o lowering the level of conversation to 2nd grade status. So I'm actually interested in what you have to say.
I gotta agree, I was actually defending Chicago's Lake Michigan against the ocean in SF. Then I asked a simple question and was chided as posting "the second dumbest thing on this forum ever" by a Chicago poster w/o any provocation. It's not really the city that turns people off on here, it's SOME of the posters from Chicago and their defensive attitude. I kind of see what some others have been talking about with regards to this.

Not to mention this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...san-diego.html where the first five answers were just pissy and bitter by Chicagoans.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 PM

LOL I was one of those pissy posters in that thread but seriously, at that moment I was sick and tired of defending Chicago against California cities because it always ends up as a beach debate. Rather than being city vs city its always Lake vs Ocean.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 PM

116 posts, read 245,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Yea,

chic isnt even regarded in California as a "cool" or "happening" city...honestly its on the same level as St. Louis, Detroit etc to us.California is like a micro-cosm of the world ..what makes you think the actual world cares about them?

San Francisco is more well known worldwide ..ESPECIALLY in Asia (4 billion people aint too shabby)

Don't let a couple of polish or lithuanians fool you into thinking chic is actually known in the world as much as SF
The point is who cares what SOME people in California think about somewhere they've never even been. It's like asking a farmer in Kansas who has never left Wichita what he thinks of Los Angeles. The opinion is totally useless.

It is not uncommon to find someone from California who has never set foot outside of it and has no clue about their own country. The posts on this forum about Lake Michigan and Chicago in this thread make that pretty apparent. People that don't travel exist. You have people discussing the cities and the Great Lakes, for instance, and then all of a sudden someone from California comes in and just makes a comment that is straight out of bizarro world and the whole crowd just ends up laughing and rolling their eyes like "what's this clown talking about." That said, MANY Californians are well travelled. But the worst ones have to be THE single most provincial and least travelled people in the country and have very strange imaginations.

As for you, at least TRY to sound knowledgable about the world around you. Seriously. You can do this by not going with your imagination and being open minded to learning the reality of the world you live in. If you want to have conversations and talk to real people around the country and the world, which this forum is, you don't call St. Louis and Detroit like they are in any way similar to Chicago. People will just laugh and you will forever be known to someone who reads this as "the teenager from California who never leaves his computer." Even if that's not reality. Similar in your own mind does not equal similar in real life. Your imagination isn't real. You should actually visit the places instead. Summer is a great time for travel and air travel is cheap.

Last edited by yoyobubba; 06-26-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times
^^^ is anyone else sick of hearing this guy?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 PM

116 posts, read 245,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
^^^ is anyone else sick of hearing this guy?
Yeah I'm sick of LosAngelesNightmare and his alter egos too.

St. Louis = Chicago. LOL. That's a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The point is who cares what SOME people in California think about somewhere they've never even been. It's like asking a farmer in Kansas who has never left Wichita what he thinks of Los Angeles. The opinion is totally useless.

It is not uncommon to find someone from California who has never set foot outside of it and has no clue about their own country. The posts on this forum about Lake Michigan and Chicago in this thread make that pretty apparent. People that don't travel exist. You have people discussing the cities and the Great Lakes, for instance, and then all of a sudden someone from California comes in and just makes a comment that is straight out of bizarro world and the whole crowd just ends up laughing and rolling their eyes like "what's this clown talking about." That said, MANY Californians are well travelled. But the worst ones have to be THE single most provincial and least travelled people in the country and have very strange imaginations.

As for you, at least TRY to sound knowledgable about the world around you. Seriously. You can do this by not going with your imagination and being open minded to learning the reality of the world you live in. If you want to have conversations and talk to real people around the country and the world, which this forum is, you don't call St. Louis and Detroit like they are in any way similar to Chicago. People will just laugh and you will forever be known to someone who reads this as "the teenager from California who never leaves his computer." Even if that's not reality. Similar in your own mind does not equal similar in real life. Your imagination isn't real. You should actually visit the places instead. Summer is a great time for travel and air travel is cheap.
Well said. Unfortunately it falls upon deaf ears.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny4kj View Post
What is the nicer place to live and raise two children
Definitely San Francisco! This one is a no-brainer.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
First off I love both cities, so ... lets try another angle

Chicago wins as far as big city feel stuff and col goes, not by a huge margin though, and SF is just a different style... and SF I'm sure is great for many unless you are from well... Chicago or NYC... sf blows away chicago and nyc in weather, beauty, mountains, beaches, closer interesting cities, immediate closer cities. Which is more important?

All of those cities definitely have their merits... it is really a matter of taste and if you can get your career going there, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City